vf-84 movie tomcats

i whant to build the f-14s used in the final countdown but dose any body know the buro numbers for the 2 jets that had the dog fight with the zeros in the film? and the other ones i whant to build are the black tail vf-84 jets used in the film Executive Decision and what there buro numbers are. and what decals are out there to model these jets?

After doing a search, I found this thread over at AR-15.com. The OP was a member of VF-84 during the filming and states that several of the line planes were numbered 202 and 203. So, chances are, if you can get a decal set for VF-84 from 1980 with 202 or 203, you should be good. It also seems that a couple of Japanese flag kill markings were painted on 203 during filming.

AR-15.com - "The Final Countdown"

Edited by wh1skea

now it gets more fun. thank you so much for posting that link wh1skea. but after looking at the great photos i found out that there wasnt just 2 tomcats used in the movie with the nose numberes 202 and 203 there were actully 5 to 7 air craft that had the nose numbers so if any body knows what buro numbers vf-84 had between 1979-1980 can you let me know then i can build one of the jets from the film. and again thanks to every body helping because i am shure there are other people that whant to knows this.

Since you did not mention the scale, I'm assuming you're going for a 1:48 replica.

Final Countdown:

One of the birds on the movie was Victory AJ200 BuNo 160393. Another one was Vic 202 160401.

Vic CAG 200 did not earn a main role like 202 and 203 did but it appeared in one unforgettable scene when it fires its port side AIM-9L. Not too many Final Movie fans have noticed this but it is so. This is one of the movie's mistakes that went unnoticed by the director because Vic 200 was not part of the dogfight scenes (only 202 & 203 were).

Here's a shot of the scene...

vf84f14aaj2001603931978.jpg

Anyway, there are very few 1978-79 VF-84 decals with accurate marking but there are 2 sets that set apart from the rest and include both Vic 200 and 202 with the correct BuNo markings. These sets represent the best render of the squadron's tail marking of the time. The sets are:

- Aeromaster 48-588 - Colorful Tomcats (VF-41, VF-84)

- Aeromaster SP48-14 - USS Nimitz CVN-68 Carrier Air Wing Eight 1977/78 (VF-41, VF-84)

As a side note I'd like to address that both decal sheets are the same but differ on the model printed number.

Another good decal sheet was Superscale 48-850. Yellow color and chevrons were more accurate than Aeromaster's but skull design was not as good. However, given the fact you want to replicate a Final Countdown jet this set would be of not good use to you because it includes markings for Vic 201 BuNo 160380 and this jet did not show up in the movie.

The downside about these 3 sets is that they are long OOP and extremely hard to find. You have to be prepared to spend a fortune on either one if they show up one eBay or other sites.

Good luck !!

Danny

Pictures added...

Aeromaster 48-588 & SP48-14

aeromaster48588colorful.jpg

aeromaster48588colorful.jpg

Superscale 48-850

superscale48850vf842.jpg

Edited by #1 Tomcat Fan

VF-84 Cats of Executive Decision....

One of the jets with the most role in the movie was Vic CAG 200 BuNo 161852. Another one was Vic 201 BuNo 160408.

Who can forget the scene when Vic 200 roles on its port side to show its live ordnance to the 747 captain !!! It was amazing to see the bird loaded with its AIM-7, 9 and 54 missiles !!

Marking???? It may sound unbelievable but only just 1 company has developed accurate decals for VF-84 final days markings (actually 2 but one is out of the question)

- CrossDelta 48002 - The Last Days of VF-84 Jolly Rogers

Again...there are 3 downsides about this set:

1) As the Aeromaster and Supercale VF-84 sets, this one is also long OOP

2) They are dry transfer decals so not as easy to apply as water transfer

3) Movie wise they only include marking for Vic 201 160408 (the other marking included are Vic 207 and 213 but neither one appears in the movie)

Again, good luck with your hunt !!!

PS, this is the set..

cdaexx002p1_l.jpg

cdaexx002p2_l.jpg

cdae48002b_l.jpg

cdae48002a_l.jpg

Edited by #1 Tomcat Fan

While on the subject, didn't the Final Countdown F-14A's feature the odd combo of Light Gulll Gray over White, but with the upper surfaces of the horizontal tails being gray as well..?

Cheers,

Andre

While on the subject, didn't the Final Countdown F-14A's feature the odd combo of Light Gulll Gray over White, but with the upper surfaces of the horizontal tails being gray as well..?

Cheers,

Andre

I was just about to mention that. During the filming, the Navy was changing from gull gray/white to overall gull gray. One of the transitional schemes was overpainting all the white control surfaces on the topside with gull gray. In the movie, you'll notice that VF-41 has already transitioned to overall gull gray. So yes, when doing a Final Countdown movie JR Tomcat, you'll need to paint the topside gull gray with the undersides white.

During the filming, the Navy was changing from gull gray/white to overall gull gray. One of the transitional schemes was overpainting all the white control surfaces on the topside with gull gray.

Ah - so in addition to the topside of the horizontal tails, the upper wing surfaces should be allover Light Gull Gray as well, including the flap area that's usually white in the LGG/GW scheme?

Cheers,

Andre

Ah - so in addition to the topside of the horizontal tails, the upper wing surfaces should be allover Light Gull Gray as well, including the flap area that's usually white in the LGG/GW scheme?

Cheers,

Andre

Yup, everything up top was gull gray. In one of the launch scenes you can see a JR Tomcat launching. If you compare the flaps to the flaps of the A-6 that launches, you can clearly see the difference. In fact, it's that part of the movie that got me wondering if the top surfaces were gray and not white. I had always assumed they were white. Upon further research, they were indeed gray.

Edited by Darren Roberts

Darren's comments beat me but they are 100% correct. I've done my research about the birds on the movie so I can share a bit of my humble knowledge.

The movie shots were taken between May-23 & Aug-15 1979. During this time frame the NAVY was making the transition between the light gull gray over white scheme to overall gull gray. During the filming some VF-84 jets were already painted gull gray on the upper fuselage (including all wing surfaces) but others were still grey over white with upper white surfaces still on.

The transition between the 2 paint schemes took some time. It was not done overnight and some jets were finished way before the others in the same squadron.

As Darren says, if you want to replicate Vic 202 or 203 at the film's moment of engagement, you should paint ALL the upper fuselage in light gull gray (including moving surfaces like flaps and horizontal stabilizers).

If you go for Vic CAG 200 then you should stay with gray over white original paint scheme (upper white flaps and elevators) because this bird stayed that way for a few months after the film was shot.

Hope this helps you

Edited by #1 Tomcat Fan

Darren's comments beat me but they are 100% correct. I've done my research about the birds on the movie so I can share a bit of my humble knowledge.

The movie shots were taken between May-23 & Aug-15 1979. During this time frame the NAVY was making the transition between the light ghost gray over white scheme to overall gull gray. During the filming some VF-84 jets were already painted gull gray on the upper fuselage (including all wing surfaces) but others were still grey over white with upper white surfaces still on.

The transition between the 2 paint schemes took some time. It was not done overnight and some jets were finished way before the others in the same squadron.

As Darren says, if you want to replicate Vic 202 or 203 at the film's moment of engagement, you should paint ALL the upper fuselage in light ghost gray (including moving surfaces like flaps and horizontal stabilizers).

If you go for Vic CAG 200 then you should stay with gray over white original paint scheme (upper white flaps and elevators) because this bird stayed that way for a few months after the film was shot.

Hope this helps you

I think you meant to say light gull gray, not ghost gray.

Mark

I know they're about as cliché as it's possible for an airplane to be (picture Spitfire Mk.I DW-K), but I just love the stuffins out of those old full color LGG/White Jolly Rogers Tomkitties. There's just no paint scheme in the history of aviation that has fit an airplane more perfectly than that one did on the F-14A. The old saying "if it looks right, it is right" fits it to a tee.

Those are *fantastic* pics, btw. I've downloaded and color corrected them and they're safely stashed in my VF-84 folder. JR 204/160386 is high on my list...

:)

F-14A_160386_VF-84_AJ204_Selfridge1977_2.jpg

Edited by Jennings

That's a great picture, J. I agree that no other paint scheme fit an airplane as perfectly as the JR scheme on a Tomcat. I'm curious if you have another picture of the main wheels. From this angle it looks like that wheel is something I've never seen on a Tomcat. The hub almost seems smaller and of a different design than the standard wheel of that time. I'm sure it's probably just the angle, but it would be great if you had another shot from a different vantage point.