Does anyone have thoughts on how to replicate the brown overcoated lozenge camo as required for many of the WNW Fokker DVII's? I'd never heard of this before but apparently it was pretty standard practice to tone down the bright lozenge fabric with a coating of dope tinted with brown. The WNW instructions just call out "clear brown". I'd love to get some specific info before trying it myself and possibly ruining the model.

The other part I find curious is that the instructions just call out for the overcoat on the fuselage, not the upper wings. Is this correct? Not sure why the guys back in the day would not have coated all of the upper surface lozenge? For that matter, I'm not sure what the point was to all this anyway. If you are trying to tone down the bright lozenge, why still allow all the colorful unit and individual markings. Kinda defeats the entire purpose...

Two thoughts come immediately to mind:

1. We spent decades trying to find the perfect, exact matches to those elusive WWI colors. Decades and decades. Now we want to change them :)

2. Why not just do it the way they apparently did it back then? Just paint over it with something tinted brown (like tinted Future)???

Edited by Jennings

Two thoughts come immediately to mind:

1. We spent decades trying to find the perfect, exact matches to those elusive WWI colors. Decades and decades. Now we want to change them :)/>

2. Why not just do it the way they apparently did it back then? Just paint over it with something tinted brown (like tinted Future)???

1. Isn't that cool though? That is one of the reasons I like WW1 & certain WW2 aircraft (mainly late war Luftwaffe). All the experts agree on something and then lo and behold, it turns out they were wrong :)

2. I probably will do something like that. Any thoughts on what is a good tinting agent that plays well w/ future? Regular acrylic paints? I'm just curious if anyone has other ideas. I'd love to see some models with this replicated but so far, haven't seen any of these particular birds.

I know. It's cool, but I still get a chuckle out of it. It's like we find the Holy Grail, only to find out it's very tarnished, and needs a good buffing with some silver paste, then we find out it's actually gold :)/>

You can tint Future with food coloring, although I don't know what the long term color stability of that is. You can certainly tint it with Tamiya clears as long as you spray it right away and don't try to mix them for storage (they have a nasty interaction eventually). I'm thinking a mix of Tamiya clear orange and smoke might do the trick.

Edited by Jennings

I know. It's cool, but I still get a chuckle out of it. It's like we find the Holy Grail, only to find out it's very tarnished, and needs a good buffing with some silver paste, then we find out it's actually gold :)/>/>/>

You can tint Future with food coloring, although I don't know what the long term color stability of that is. You can certainly tint it with Tamiya clears as long as you spray it right away and don't try to mix them for storage (they have a nasty interaction eventually). I'm thinking a mix of Tamiya clear orange and smoke might do the trick.

I tint Future with artist inks. works fine for me

flypaper

Edited by flypaper2222