I was going to build my second CF-104, this time making the natural metal finish work (promise!).

Chance intervened, however. I got an e-mail from a friend who works in Cold Lake, on the NFTC (NATO Flying Training in Canada) program. Not wanting to provide too much information to identify him, let's just say he occupies a key position in the Hawk maintenance at 419 Squadron, on the Contractor (Bombardier) side. T and I used to work as colleagues, and have kept touch since I left the organisation.

My friend ("T") asked me if I could build him a Hawk model from the big new kit.

I had already ordered one from Lucky Model for myself, so I made a deal with T that I would order a second kit for myself, and build him the first one. He is paying for the two kits, plus a small amount for my materials, and postage to YOD (Cold Lake). I am not a huge fan of commission builds (I find the stress is a bit too much for making it as perfect as possible), but in this case it is allowing me to learn while building the first, and to have a free kit for myself.

When T asked me for the model, I briefly considered the 1/48 vice 1/32 version. Apart from the obvious for fans of this GB (Size Matters!), the 1/48 Airfix kit is missing the centreline tank that was specially designed for NFTC requirements, and of course I find 1/32 a lot easier to work on and make it look OK.

The centreline tank was a result of requirements for range and endurance during the training missions for Canada. YOD and YMJ syllabus missions involve some longer missions, and without the extra fuel they were either too tight or just not feasible, especially when weather is bad and you have to fly a long way to an alternate airport. Not so bad for MJ (Moose Jaw); Regina is only about 35 nautical miles away. YOD is a different story. Fort McMurray (short runway, icy in winter) is 90 nm away, and Edmonton is 125 nm away. Fuel becomes a big consideration. Kinetic has done a great job incorporating this tank into the kit.

I don't have pics yet. Just got the kit last Friday, and spent the weekend cleaning up after my big Starfighter and my 1/48 CF-18 build, so now I have a clean work area and the kit is open and ready to go. Progress will come soon.

ALF

Yup, prolific am I - idolizing the Phantom, am I too... (Mesa getting ready for the next Star Wars movie).

First of all, a bit more about the real subject. I have had an association with NFTC and the Hawk since 1998, when I started working on the simulator project. I was a test pilot at CAE in Montreal, and Bombardier contracted us to produce some Harvard II and Hawk simulators for the program. Here is the sticker that CAE produced for the project; the Project Administrator (who had a real talent for graphic arts) and I collaborated on its conception. It is supposed to represent the simulator with its visual screens, and the cockpit is a mish-mash of both the Hawk and Harvard II (represents both but neither at the same time).

nftcsimsticker-1_zps64763b21.jpg

Early in the program, before Canada took delivery of the aircraft, we received some Bombardier marketing pics that looked like this. They showed an airbrushed version of a BAE demonstrator flying in the as-yet non-existent colour scheme.

nftchawkcolourscheme_zpsee46f0ec.jpg

I was in Moose Jaw installing a Harvard II simulator when the very first Canadian Hawk showed up, in June 1999. I took this picture sitting in the front seat; part of my aim was to ensure the out-the-window representation of the wings and nose as seen from the front seat were correct. The guy leaning on the wing is a BAE employee. Look carefully; you'll see a Tutor in the distance as well.

hawkleftwingfromfrontPEP2_zpsacad95fa.jpg

Here is a really nice in-flight pic, showing the little-used speed brake deployed as number two flies formation on lead. Note also the centreline tank on 217. The aircraft fly with two types of wingtips. Here, there are no missile rails (just aerodynamic wingtip shapes).

90e260d798_zpsec6a78ae.jpg

The version I will be doing has wingtip missile rails, with AIM 9 CATM (Captive Air Training Missile) installed. That's how 419 Squadron in Cold Lake flies most of their missions; that's where "T" works.

Aviation in Canada, especially military aviation, is a very small world. Well after I worked on the simulator project, I ended up on the CF-18 simulator program in Bagotville. By coincidence, it just happened that the simulator program for Hornets was the same division of Bombardier as NFTC, and I ended up now working very closely with the folks that I had known from my position as a supplier to the same program 6 years previously.

Progress pics soon.

ALF

Here is the first in-progress for this build. First of all, the box cover and the instructions. I find the instructions nicely detailed and easy to follow.

P1160814_zps12a627d0.jpg

P1160813_zps2d01231e.jpg

There is an impressive amount of Photo-Etch (P/E). Browsing through the instructions, it looks like a lot of fiddly work for the seat belts.

P1160820_zps10d282b1.jpg

I started by skipping steps right off the bat. I will not be putting together the HUD and its P/E parts for now; this will wait until the major assemblies and painting are done. Here are the two glare shields with front and rear MIPs.

P1160819_zps7055dcd9.jpg

The intake trunking is quite elaborate. Not much of this will be visible after it's all put together.

Note the cockpit mostly assembled below. I will leave the seats out and work on them as I wait for other things to dry, installing them at the last minute, to minimize damage due to masking.

P1160821_zps89dbefc9.jpg

Here you can see how the intake trunk becomes the inside of the intake.

P1160822_zps8b234b3a.jpg

Lots of little sub-assemblies, and painting in progress.

P1160823_zpsa5ec4724.jpg

ALF

Actually just picked up this kit a few weeks back from scalehobbyist. Nice price for a nicely reviewed 1:32 subject too. I had been eyeballing the Airfix 48'th scale offering for a bit, but glad I waited until I had some funny money to throw towards this one. Look forward to getting around to it one day soon.

Actually just picked up this kit a few weeks back from scalehobbyist. Nice price for a nicely reviewed 1:32 subject too. I had been eyeballing the Airfix 48'th scale offering for a bit, but glad I waited until I had some funny money to throw towards this one. Look forward to getting around to it one day soon.

It's a very reasonable price, and so far I'm very happy with the detail and fit. Somebody (like me) who doesn't want to have to buy AM improvements just to make a decent kit, will find that this model is just good enough to be built OOB.

Nice to have you along.

ALF

Great choice it sure does bring back memories....hope to see it done up soon ...great fitting kitty

best regards

mr b

Thanks Mr B.

You'll find this different from the Malaysian version. I like the way these jets are shiny and clean looking, even after more than 12 years in service. I have hundreds of hours in the simulator, but have never flown the real thing - it seems to be a pretty good little trainer jet.

ALF

Good start ALF

This really looks like a real nice kit

Thanks Neo

I highly recommend this kit. Fun and easy to build so far, and the detail is pretty good for an OOB effort. Comparing the pics I have of Hawk 115 jets, I find the cockpit and its panels is very close to the real thing - not surprising, knowing how the refs were collected for this kit.

ALF

Got one tucked in the stash also.... I've got the 1/48th version too.

Will be watching this one.

:cheers:/>

Emil

Nice to have you along! BTW, your package arrived in the mail on Friday. Thanks a lot!!!!

I will be trying out the magic display paper on this one soon.

ALF

Another of these kits to tempt me to buy. Seems this GB is the Hornet and Hawk GB!

Give in! You know you want it... :rolleyes:

You forgot to mention the Green Starfighters too. And hopefully a natural metal one from me (really, next time - no backtracking).

ALF

Here's a bit of progress. I have nearly finished the cockpit, and here you see the displays partly done. The rear cockpit has the upper display (HUD repeater screen) distinctly more bright green when shut off. I used silver paint covered with Lumocolor Permanent Market to make that effect. The other displays are black paint overwritten with the green markers. Notice Emvar's magic plastic film that will make the glass portions on the displays. Thanks to you for sending it, my friend! I have one complaint though. Based on the size of displays in 1/32 and 1/48, I only have enough plastic film for (calculating - carry the 3 - divide by zero - OK) roughly 8 bazillion displays! :woot.gif:

P1160825_zpsd1769eb8.jpg

Here, in horrible close-up, are the MIPs with the film applied. Note how the colours look cool on the film. I also have a few touch-ups to do here.

P1160826smaller_zps9e82bf9e.jpg

One brilliant thing Kinetic did with this kit is make separate parts for wheel hubs and tires. Finally, I can paint them separately, and end up with absolutely perfect dividing lines!

P1160828_zpsfc5fd739.jpg

P1160827_zps025aad6d.jpg

Working on closing up the fuselage soon. Gluing parts into the nose wheel bay and letting it all dry.

ALF

Looking good man. Nice job on the IPs.

Maybe in a week or two when I have recovered enough, and can drink beer again, I can come see it and your other works of art. I'll bring along the Tomcat cockpit that I have been slowly getting back to since leaving the hospital. Pics soon on my build thread.

Denis

Looking good man. Nice job on the IPs.

Maybe in a week or two when I have recovered enough, and can drink beer again, I can come see it and your other works of art. I'll bring along the Tomcat cockpit that I have been slowly getting back to since leaving the hospital. Pics soon on my build thread.

Denis

Denis

Welcome back to the land of the living! I was wondering when you would be up to computer viewing and typing. Hope the surgery went well. You're welcome to stop by any time - let me know!

ALF

Dan,

I still got a whole roll Left Let me know when you need more :rolleyes: can get it at Michael's in the gift wrapping section for about 7 bucks a roll or you can get it from a hobby store for 10 bucks for a 5x6 sheet .... Glad your package arrived safe. It is hard to Photograph but in person that stuff really gets that shine of the MFDs when they are shut down. I used exposed Film for the backing on mine as an experiment.

:cheers:

Emil

Dan,

I still got a whole roll Left Let me know when you need more :rolleyes:/> can get it at Michael's in the gift wrapping section for about 7 bucks a roll or you can get it from a hobby store for 10 bucks for a 5x6 sheet .... Glad your package arrived safe. It is hard to Photograph but in person that stuff really gets that shine of the MFDs when they are shut down. I used exposed Film for the backing on mine as an experiment.

:cheers:/>

Emil

By the time I need more, I suspect we'll both be long deceased! And I plan to live to 150...

The backing tip is great! Now I just have to see if I can find some old exposed film - not the sort of thing I have an abundance of any more. Gives me ideas for looking at alternatives, though.

ALF

Those IPs look great. Can't wait to see more.

Rodney

Thanks Rodney!

You're very kind, especially given that the camera brings out all the tiny imperfections. I have to admit, though, seen at normal size from 6 inches away, they look pretty good. I have much of the structure built up - more progress tonight if I get time.

ALF

Nice work, ALF.

Too bad you don't have any actual stick time on type. I'm sure you might have a connection or two that could make that happen... :whistle:

If you live to 150 that would give you plenty of time to get up for a quick go around. :woot.gif:

Look forward to more progress buddy.

Mike

Never say no to a cop - especially a nice one!

Here's the progress. The instructions suggest some strange order of building things. For example, they say to install all the clear parts right away (which I rarely do before painting), like the landing lights on the nose wheel. In fact, they say to install all of the doors like this:

P1160833_zps7d4d7ce2.jpg

So I installed them all, only to find out later that I was better off installing the doors afterward. I could actually have left the nose gear off until much later if I wanted to, just gluing the wheel well in place before closing up the fuselage. Small lesson learned.

Here's a dry fit of one side - goes nicely into the spot.

P1160835_zps0e905327.jpg

The other side didn't cooperate as much, though, so I pulled the door off until later. You can see it on the mat in the background.

P1160836_zpsbc49f293.jpg

The cockpit is ready to install, minus the seats for now.

P1160834_zpsd0468210.jpg

The fuselage halves are taking shape. So far, everything fits quite nicely. I'm happy - lots less hassle than my last two builds.

P1160837_zps9c06b204.jpg

Here's what the fuselage looks like together. The fit is really quite nice.

P1160838_zps96295e35.jpg

Here's the underside. I'm not worried about the gap in the intake ducting. If anything, it will allow a tiny bit of light to creep into the compressor face, making it slightly more visible. It's already nearly invisible - just like the real thing.

P1160839_zps8b5d993e.jpg

More progress later. I have to watch the Habs take on the Penguins.

And Mike - I was happy to see your Sens won last night. That team is doing really well, despite all the injuries this year.

ALF