Great progress, ALF. I like your idea for the det cord. Question, if the world went really bad, would these aircraft be put into the fight in any capacity?

Don

Thanks Neo!

Don

I think if things went to heck in a hand-basket, these aircraft would not be in the fight - it's not in the contract! :woot.gif:

Not only are they marginally capable in most roles, but there is the added complication that the military does not own and operate them outright. They are owned by a company that leases their use to the military, through a Prime Contractor, for a given purpose - training.

Now, if Will Smith needed help to shoot down the last aliens, though, I'm sure somebody would fly up in a mighty Hawk to lend a hand!

ALF

Jeez...sounds like you're busier than a one armed man trying to hang wallpaper.

Looking really good, ALF. The colour and the glossy sheen are really close. It's amazing how the gloss coat seems to darken the colour slightly. I noted that on my Corsair build a while ago and the Future has had the same effect on your Hawk. I like it.

Now...how about some perspective. What size coffee cup has Max got his head stuck in? Further...is he a double double kind of dog?!

Mike

Definitely busy here, all right.

Thanks for the compliments. This paint scheme looks really nice (as MrB commented as well), and the Future does darken the midnight blue just enough.

So for scale comparison, that's a (new) Medium coffee that Max has his whole head buried in. He takes his coffee any way he can get it - in this case, not a double double, but a milk/cream/Splenda version. He also likes SWMBO's two milk one cream no sugar flavour.

He does have good taste though. And not because he eats his own poop. Because he likes Timmy's coffee!

ALF

Boy this thing has a lot of decals! I am making slow progress on that front. I thought I'd post some pics to point out something that could be very much a "gotcha" with the instructions to this kit.

I love the tail insignia - and of course the NFTC (NATO Flying Training in Canada) logo is swept according to the angle of the stabilizer, away from the front of the aircraft. Note the small Canadian flag in front of the tail number, and the fact it is in front.

P1170007_zps2c3a8967.jpg

Now, the instructions for the other side show the flag at the front of the numbers (i.e. on the right side of the numbers). But the decal for the other side is a one-piece affair, with the flag on the left, like the first side.

P1170008_zps7e5c8049.jpg

P1170009_zpsd975b4eb.jpg

No problem, I thought - I'll just chop up the decal, and install the flag on the right (at the front). As I admired my work, something prompted me to check references on the computer - and I was shocked to see that the real thing has the flag on the left all the time!

P1170010_zpse44cb21a.jpg

After some anxious moments, I managed to move the decal with the numbers to the right, and installed the flag on the left, where it belongs. Talk about annoying!

P1170011_zpsdd7a84ae.jpg

The decals are quite colourful. The NO STEP decals are white boot prints with red Xs through them; they add a splash of colour to the trailing edge of the wing, flaps, and ailerons. Will post more pics as it nears completion.

P1170012_zps0218f3eb.jpg

ALF

Edited by ALF18

Further to the above - the error in the instructions is in one panel, while the other one with the dark-coloured drawings is correct. Anyway...

I have pretty much done the decaling, and will glue the main gear doors in place tomorrow, then do the final coat of Future.

Here's what it looks like so far, in the harsh light of the flash.

P1170013_zps206f92fb.jpg

P1170014_zps2a1997b6.jpg

P1170015_zps7f22ed7e.jpg

P1170016_zps12139317.jpg

Thanks for looking.

ALF

Now, if Will Smith needed help to shoot down the last aliens, though, I'm sure somebody would fly up in a mighty Hawk to lend a hand!

ALF

LOL been watching independence day lately !?

Decals look really great. How big is this bird completed?

LOL been watching independence day lately !?

Decals look really great. How big is this bird completed?

Unfortunately, I haven't seen the film in a while - but I sure liked it! Aliens, F-18s, explosions, it had it all. Did you write the virus they used? :thumbsup:

This is finished now - final dimensions about 40 cm long (including pitot boom) and 30 cm wingspan. Big, but not huge. Just a little bigger than a 1/48 Hornet.

Here are the pics, some taken in the nice setting sun this evening. I froze my tush taking the outdoor ones; it's only just above freezing, and a bit breezy tonight. At least there's no snow!

P1170020_zpse8e226b6.jpg

P1170022_zps78c76b99.jpg

P1170030_zps66b4a6b1.jpg

P1170035_zps68689ea4.jpg

P1170036_zps9d64b752.jpg

P1170039_zps0c5cef08.jpg

P1170041_zps117838d1.jpg

ALF

Thanks Neo!

Don

I think if things went to heck in a hand-basket, these aircraft would not be in the fight - it's not in the contract! :woot.gif:/>

Not only are they marginally capable in most roles, but there is the added complication that the military does not own and operate them outright. They are owned by a company that leases their use to the military, through a Prime Contractor, for a given purpose - training.

ALF

I never knew that our military doesn't O and O these aircraft. Learn something every day. Completed build looks great, you doing another F-104 next?

Don

I never knew that our military doesn't O and O these aircraft. Learn something every day. Completed build looks great, you doing another F-104 next?

Don

You read my mind, Don.

I will reattempt the natural metal finish. Have to do it before the lessons learned disappear into the ether...

Yup, the NFTC program is quite a different animal. It is a mix of several contracts, and also military/civilian instructors.

Phase 1 - Portage la Prairie, MB. Grob aircraft. Selection (only about 25 to 30 flying hours).

Allied Wings consortium runs the place, including the whole airfield (ATC, accomodation, transport, you name it).

Civilian instructors on the ground and in the Grobs.

Phase 2 - Harvard II in Moose Jaw SK. About 140 flying hours, up until the fast jet/helo/multiengine split. Bombardier runs the contract; ATCO Frontec runs the airfield (sub to Bombardier). Bombardier civilian ground instructors (classroom and simulators), operating CAE-built simulators with CAE maintenance. Military flight instructors.

Phase 3 fast jet - Also in Moose Jaw, up to wings standard for fast jet and instructor candidates. Same operation as the Harvard II (Bombardier, military, etc).

Phase 3 Helo - Portage la Prairie, Allied Wings. Civilian groundschool and sim instructors; military flight instructors. Fleet is a mix of ex-military Jet Rangers and Griffons.

Phase 3 Multi - Portage, Allied Wings. Same mix as helo for personnel. King Airs owned and operated by Allied Wings, leased to military.

Phase 4 Fighter Lead-In Training (where this Hawk operates). Cold Lake. Bombardier maintains the aircraft and the hangar at 419, on the base. Civilian techs; military instructors. CAE simulator, with one civilian instructor and some military IPs as well.

I'm not sure how Allied Wings has structured things, but I know Bombardier has set up something like a Joint Venture with the Crown. The JV owns the aircraft, which are leased to the military for the training, as are the training services from Bombardier. The program started in 1999; I was there in Moose Jaw doing installation checks on a Harvard II sim when the first Hawk arrived in MJ (201). It's a 20-year program. Not sure what happens when the contract is up.

You can see the site at www.nftc.net.

ALF

That's a very nice looking Hawk, ALF. Your friend should be very happy with the finished product, as should you.

Well done, bub.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I mailed it off last week; he should get it in a week or so. Hopefully it will arrive in one piece!

ALF

If it gets broken in transit, let me know. My brother works for Canada Post in Gatineau. Out of sheer convenience, I'll beat him for you to make up for the aggravation.

If it gets broken in transit, let me know. My brother works for Canada Post in Gatineau. Out of sheer convenience, I'll beat him for you to make up for the aggravation.

LOL

this is the first line ive read this morning so i can say you've made my day

Shoot the messenger!

Round up all the usual suspects!

Shoot first, ask questions later!

Gotta love it!

Nice offer Mike - please let your brother know that I might take you up on it. Besides, knowing how brothers get along over the years, he probably deserves a few noogies anyway.

ALF

Well, Mike - you can tell your brother he is off the hook. Canada Post did a great job. The model arrived yesterday (I only mailed it Thursday last week), in perfect condition. T is a happy customer, and I have breathed a sigh of relief.

ALF

Neo - glad I got your day off to a good start.

ALF - I'm glad that "T" received his package unscathed. Sean will be happy to know that there will be no beatings laid upon him. He might receive a few noogies anyway, just for old times sake.

Mike