1/48 Monogram P-47

Rate my build.  

24 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, what do you think?

• 1. Poor - go find another hobby
    • 2. Below Average - you need to work on your skills
    • 3. Average - not bad, but could be better
    • 4. Good - nice build, could use some polishing-up here and there
    • 5. Excellent - !!

I present my Monogram P-47 built from the latest reboxing by Revell. The kit is long in the tooth, but pretty nice. The only parts I did not like were the wheel wells which have an impossible seem in them, and the weapons. I replaced the guns with styrene rods and left off the bombs and rocket tubes. I used the fins of the bombs to simulate sway braces.

Unlike in most Monogram kits, the cockpit in this model is not so great. I used some Eduard seat-belts to tart things up.

I began painting by spraying on the white areas with Tamiya gloss white and then masking them. The kit was then painted black and then with progressively lighter shades of Tamiya olive drab and MM Acrylic neutral gray.

This model will not win me any prizes (nevermind the fact that I don't compete my models), but I think it looks nice and tough sitting on my shelf.

DSC01644_zpsb4d2d483.jpg

DSC01645_zps61d3c355.jpg

DSC01646_zpsd0e05d41.jpg

DSC01647_zps9cd7d457.jpg

DSC01648_zpsc1a2578a.jpg

DSC01649_zpsd642523c.jpg

DSC01650_zps443f98d8.jpg

I rushed the scratchbuilt bomb shackle assemblies so I know they're not perfect. I also didn't rescribe the panels because I hate rescribing and rather like the look of raised lines on airplanes. However, I would love to get constructive criticism and discuss how I can improve my work.

PS.

This looks like a tough kit to flex your muscles on unless you're willing to re-scripe panel lines, add aftermarket parts, etc. In general this looks good from the photos. I think the paint looks good. One thing you might try in the future that I only thought of after reading your intro is painting the white afterward rather than painting it first and masking off--it won't be as bright, but I think that might actually looks a little better at small scale and still clearly read as white, as long as you can avoid getting a big lip of paint around the edges. Looking forward to seeing more that start with a higher-end model!

I present my Monogram P-47 built from the latest reboxing by Revell. The kit is long in the tooth, but pretty nice. The only parts I did not like were the wheel wells which have an impossible seem in them, and the weapons. I replaced the guns with styrene rods and left off the bombs and rocket tubes. I used the fins of the bombs to simulate sway braces.

Unlike in most Monogram kits, the cockpit in this model is not so great. I used some Eduard seat-belts to tart things up.

I began painting by spraying on the white areas with Tamiya gloss white and then masking them. The kit was then painted black and then with progressively lighter shades of Tamiya olive drab and MM Acrylic neutral gray.

This model will not win me any prizes (nevermind the fact that I don't compete my models), but I think it looks nice and tough sitting on my shelf.

DSC01644_zpsb4d2d483.jpg

DSC01645_zps61d3c355.jpg

DSC01646_zpsd0e05d41.jpg

DSC01647_zps9cd7d457.jpg

Currently building this same kit along with a Tamiya and a Hasegawa. A little comparison build. the Tamiya is the most detailed and better fitting, but the monogram can hold its own. I like it

Geoff

DSC01648_zpsc1a2578a.jpg

DSC01649_zpsd642523c.jpg

DSC01650_zps443f98d8.jpg

I rushed the scratchbuilt bomb shackle assemblies so I know they're not perfect. I also didn't rescribe the panels because I hate rescribing and rather like the look of raised lines on airplanes. However, I would love to get constructive criticism and discuss how I can improve my work.

PS.

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. I realized how horrible the photos look after I saw them on my work PC. I monkeyed around with the saturation and lightness to brighten up the deep shadows, and that may be one reason the white looks so stark. It is a bit less bright in reality.

Lesson for the day: get a light-tent to deal with the shadows before the photo is taken. :D