F-15 bare metal areas

At the risk of starting a heated debate, I would like to know exactly which parts of an F-15 are left bare metal near the engines. Every photo I see of a model seems to show different areas, and the walkaround shots are inconclusive.

Is there a definitive diagram showing the areas in question?

Les

Edited by lesthegringo

Hi Les,

Perhaps the best images to search for are in-flight shots rather than walkarounds. The in-flight photos often have views of the top and underside of the airframes.

Click this link for a Google search: >> link <<

Generally, the jet nozzles are bare metal, the feathers that are just in front of the engine donut are also bare metal.

On the upper surface, the panels just in front of the feathers are bare metal as are the adjacent panels in board of the vertical tails. This bare metal stops at the end of the vertical tails so that the pointed tip of eack tail boom is painted.

Beneath the jet, the underside if the engine nacelles are bare metal up to the JFS exhaust (the round hole in between the nacelles) and this line returns up the side of the fuselage to the tail chine. THe under surface of the chine is also bare metal from that line but there is a distinct, shaped demarcation on a panel line that you'll need to refer to photos for. Once again, the bare metal stops before the tip of the tail boom.

I'm sure that looking at photos of the underside of the jet will give you what you want.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer