I agree that the F-14A cockpit would be a better starting point,(you won't have to buy in GRU-7 seats with an A cockpit) but you may need to add a port side controller stick in the RIO's cockpit(use the one from the kit). Also, (I will confirm this for you later) you may need to alter the RIO's displays a little, as I have a feeling there was an MFD or two in the later mods which differ from the older F-14B's.

Other cockpit changes to be aware of if you're modelling a post 2003 jet, would be the addition of the Sparrow/Hawk HUD for the pilot(possibly in the kit?).

Smaller adds would be making sure there is a strengthening plate round the RIO's step (external, below the cockpit coaming).

Another handy reference for idiosyncrasies between the marks of F-14's is by VF-103 Guy, a comprehensive Tomcat 101 which I consult regularly. http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=208719

Another good thread on Zone Five with Trumpeter Tomcat tweaks is here - http://www.scalemodelworld.net.net/showthread.php?t=17781

Edited by Parabat

I think you have some good solid answers here. The A pit is going to be a good place to start and you'll need the kit's PTID screen to add to the RIO's center console and you'll also need the kit's front instrument panel coaming if you're building a late B with the Sparrow/Hawk HUD.

Alot of what you'll need is going to depened on the time frame you're wanting to depict your B from, so I'll break it down to better help you.

1996 to around 1999 - You can use the Aires pit straight with no mods

2000 to 2003 - You'll need to add the square PTID from the kit

2003 to 2005 - You'll need to use the front instrument coaming for the HUD from the kit and the PTID screen

Also, you can varry the use of the LAU-138 rails as well. When I was at Oceana in 2002, VF-103 was flying with LAU-138 on the port glove pylon, and an LAU-7 on the starboard.

AIM-54 adapters for the glove pylons were a thing of the past, so be sure to use the AIM-7 adapter on the port gove pylon.

VF-11 wasn't flying LAU-138's on their jets while at Oceana, but by the time they hit the boat they were carrying 2. Same with 103...by the time they hit the boat, they were carrying 2 LAU-138's.