I am looking at getting a E2C Hawkeye 2000. I noticed Kinetic has the original but now makes a 2000 and then there is Italeri. Which one is better? I am a beginner model but I spent 4 years on the flight deck of the TR so I worked around VAW 124 during that period. Any thoughts?

Italeri are reboxed kinetic kits I believe. Get whichever you can find for the cheapest price.

Also get the metal landing gear. Probably the heaviest model I've ever built.

Edited by Bigasshammm

Okay I will take a look into that. Is there any needed aftermarket parts like cockpit, etc?

Josh

Italeri are reboxed kinetic kits I believe. Get whichever you can find for the cheapest price.

Also get the metal landing gear. Probably the heaviest model I've ever built.

Okay I will take a look into that. Is there any needed aftermarket parts like cockpit, etc?

Josh

Well, I don't know that any of this is "needed", but here's what I recommend: You can get what amounts to an Eduard color "Zoom" set for the 'pit from Lucky Models for about $10 with free shipping. If you want to go a different direction, Steel Beach makes some resin seats. From what you can see of the 'pit, I think the Lucky Model etch set is enough. You could probably get by with just the kit 'pit, too, but the seats are a little sparse and I hate painting instrument panels.

Quickboost makes a nice set of seamless engine inlet ducts, and they're cheap, too (about $5)

I think the kit wheels suck, so I got the Royale Resin set.

And I concur on the SAC metal gear.

Edited by EDWMatt

If you're a stickler for accuracy the Eduard photo etch sets for the exterior are nice but you'll do a lot of work.

The cockpit is almost invisible so either go the colored pe (which I used as well) or just do the kit parts and then forget about it because you'll never see it again.

Make sure you do not forget to put weight in it (a LOT of weight) especially if the wings are folded as it is a severe tail sitter.

Well if the cockpit won't be seen then I am not concerned. I keep seeing the term "pe." What does that stand for? I tried searching on the internet and didn't get anything back about modeling.

PE is short for photo etched parts eg Eduard.I agree with the others on the SAC landing gear and the weight.If you think you have enough weight added don't forget that the radome will affect the centre of gravity and you should allow for that (ask me how I know)BTW Royale Resin do a nice set of weighted wheels for the E-2C.

Regards

Stephen

If you're new to model building, I don't think that Hummer kit will necessarily be the best choice. However if that's what you're really set on building, I'd suggest bypassing the photo-etch and resin bits. Maybe tires or seats but that's about it for aftermarket. If you can find decals for VAW-124 they may be worth picking up.

I am looking at getting a E2C Hawkeye 2000. I noticed Kinetic has the original but now makes a 2000 and then there is Italeri. Which one is better? I am a beginner model but I spent 4 years on the flight deck of the TR so I worked around VAW 124 during that period. Any thoughts?

If you're a beginner modeler I would suggest you stay away from the Kinetic/Italeri E-2C unless you really want a challenge and maybe never build another kit due to frustration. It's an okay kit for experienced modelers with patience and a lot of filler. Here's a link to my build of the Kinetic Kit: E-2C

If you're just getting into model building I would suggest an easier subject. If you have your heart set on a E-2C maybe the Hasegawa 1/72 kit would be a better place to start.

Cheers,

John