1:72 CF-101 Voodoo in Lark One colours

Lark One is one of those elusive Jets that never really got the Photo Love other special schemes did. Best bet is Airliners.net and the CF-101 Group on Facebook. The Black Electric Jet is another. I also have the Air Combat Magazine with Lark One on the cover, the photo shoot was from the 1980something London International Airshow in London Ontario when it was an awesome show.

I too got my sheets Very Nice work David!

Shawn, You redoing all your Voodoo Builds now????? Or just adding Lark One?

:cheers:/>

Emil

This is very true. Lark One is pretty elusive as far as good photos go. I think I have most of the photos taken, and they're probably all the same sources noted above. There were a few in a magazine I was sent (I'm sorry, I forget who sent me that, but thank you!) that have really good up close shots of the red-yellow-roundel and the gear door claw. But beyond that, it's a tough one to nail down. The other tricky part is that the red of the fuselage varies widely in photos. Sometimes it looks dark red, other times it's almost a bright orange. I used some software to give me the colour average of various photos and combined with the MK1 Eyeball, I think it's very close. The colour mix guide (for Tamiya) is in the instructions but YMMV slightly with the mix ratio. In any event, it's slightly brighter than the red of the Canadian flag (and you get an extra, darker, set of flags on the spare sheet)

I'm curious now to see how these builds turn out. Hopefully I got everything right :hmmm:

I'm sure you knew that Lark One was sitting in the CFB Bagotville 'junkyard' for the longest time, it may still be there, I am sure ALF or one of his friends Marc-Andre Valiquette or Richard Girouard (the resident 425 sqn historian) would know if it is still there. By the way Dave, if you do not know these last two gentlemen, you should, they have a wealth of contacts in the CF and have helped other Cdn decal manufacturers in the past. Daniel Soulaine also photographed Lark One a lot with Don Spering at the London Airshow. I will get you these guy's contact info.

I will also gather up my references of Lark One and put them up on my Photobucket page to share with everyone.

bagotville_zpse9c3f33e.jpg

bagotville2_zpsd21fc5a7.jpg

Edited by yvesff

hi there.

Yes, as far as I know, that fuselage is still there. I tried contacting the Bagottville air force museum to see if they could arrange a photo shoot of it, but nobody would return my calls or emails. And yes, Richard has provided reference material for the CF-18 projects.

thanks

David

This is one of those things I was hoping someone would deliver on, I had done some drawings a while back thinking to make my own decals.... The drawings didn't turn out and I wasn't willing to give the amount of time necessary to do the decals.

Speaking of Voodoo's the EF-101 is also one that was elusive especially detail shots of the various Antenna and ECM bulges/protrusions. I have never seen a complete walk around.... Before it was black it was delivered in the USAF grey and I have seen pictures of it with a regular IR nose which I think was a repair after the Nose Gear collapsed on Landing. There is a shot of the Rear Cockpit in the Canadian CF-101 Voodoo book it is a BW shot. And there was a Build in one of the Modelling Magazines of the EF-101B Voodoo a couple of years ago which is a good reference guide. I have put up requests over the years at the IPMS Canada site and here and really have never gotten good leads or references that haven't already been posted if I got a response. I had spoken to Anthony Stachiw Years ago when the CF-5 in Canadian Service book was published and he had said at that time a Voodoo book was being planned. I guess it had fallen to the wayside which is a shame.

Now David.....if you would take on that Checker CF-18 my decal dreams would be complete......

:cheers:

Emil

No, THIS one.........

DSC_0081.jpg

Elmo made me these decals, Well the markings, those are correct, I did the squares. One at a time..........

Also Elmo, I will do the 425, and 414. The 409 I have is still pretty good and the 416 is acceptable. Need to buy one more Voodoo I think as I planned on doing a late scheme in silver.

Edited by phantom

hi there.

Yes, as far as I know, that fuselage is still there. I tried contacting the Bagottville air force museum to see if they could arrange a photo shoot of it, but nobody would return my calls or emails. And yes, Richard has provided reference material for the CF-18 projects.

thanks

David

David,

I can confirm that Lark One is still there. It is sitting with a couple of other Voodoos and Hornets at the ATC Radar site. I have some friends at ATC and later this spring I was planning to get out there to take lots of photos with my wife's new SLR camera.

I am happy to share any and all photos.

Denis

This is very true. Lark One is pretty elusive as far as good photos go. I think I have most of the photos taken, and they're probably all the same sources noted above. There were a few in a magazine I was sent (I'm sorry, I forget who sent me that, but thank you!) that have really good up close shots of the red-yellow-roundel and the gear door claw. But beyond that, it's a tough one to nail down. The other tricky part is that the red of the fuselage varies widely in photos. Sometimes it looks dark red, other times it's almost a bright orange. I used some software to give me the colour average of various photos and combined with the MK1 Eyeball, I think it's very close. The colour mix guide (for Tamiya) is in the instructions but YMMV slightly with the mix ratio. In any event, it's slightly brighter than the red of the Canadian flag (and you get an extra, darker, set of flags on the spare sheet)

I'm curious now to see how these builds turn out. Hopefully I got everything right :hmmm:/>/>

Air Combat Vol. 13 No. 1 January 1985.

Koku Fan October 1984 (Available on Ebay)

Both have the photshoot by Don Spering at the 1984 London Airshow

The Koku Fan is awesome, with one shot over Niagara Falls, detail shots of roundel and gear door and also great shots of the Black Voodoo and 409, 416 Bird.