Hasegawa 1/72 p-3 help

Ive always wanted to build a 1/72 p-3 and yesterday I aquired a hasegawa p-3c update iii. The problem is im not very framiliar with the weapons or the decals. Its got VP-40 decals (kit 04015) but Ive noticed there is another kit with VP-40 decals (kit 00980) that has the more "modern" decals. Id like to be able to put some agm-84's on it but I think the decals I have are for the mid 80's. Thus Im trying to find the later decals. I have a few AGM-48E's but Im not sure of the timeframes. I know they were rarely used but what timeframe would these be correct for?

Like Don said (always trust your SS3...), the early VP-40 markings (mid 80s) would still be ok for a Harpoon missile. If you still want to go "present day" Wolpack Decals also does a current VP-10 set of markings on sheet 72-055 (also includes some EP-3E markings).

http://millcreekconsultants.com/WP72-10.html

Of course if you really want to geek out...when the Harpoon or Maverick is carried, they have a "data link" pod to go along for the ride too, the AWW-13. You can make one of these out of a piece of sprue. Here's a drawing with dimensions and pics of an Ordy crew hanging it on Station 15 (pod is always hung on Sta 15). The Harpoon can be carried on pylons 9,10 & 13 on the right side and pylons 14, 16 & 17 on the left.

14313_93_1_zps68579c98.jpg

load_an_AN-AWW-13_Advanced_Data_Link_pod_from_a_weapons_pylon_on_a_P-3C_Orion_assigned_to_the_Tigers_to_Patrol_Squadron_Eigh_zps52e3ccd6.jpg

Edited by 82Whitey51

Thanks,Whitey, lol, I don't know how many times my FE's kept me out of trouble.

Is that a pod for thr extened range Harpoon? We didn't carry them for the 1st generation AGM-84s.

Edited by DonSS3

Thanks,Whitey, lol, I don't know how many times my FE's kept me out of trouble.

Is that a pod for thr extened range Harpoon? We didn't carry them for the 1st generation AGM-84s.

Hmm...good question. All I know is that's what they used with the both of them (and the more recent SLAM and SLAMER). Truth be told, all I needed or wanted to now was the weight and drag count. I got a couple of old school TACCOs that I work with, I'll ask them tomorrow at work.

I know I did hear that getting the P-3 certified to carry the Maverick was a means to getting it certified to carry the Harpoon (or vice versa?)...because they share the same weapons systems. In the 4 years I was with VP-26 the only weapon I ever carried (despite 2 overland tours operating out of Iraq and Djibouti, Africa) was a SLAMER for a "sink ex" out off the coast of Virginia...oh, and my Berretta 9MM. I obviously had no say in tactics but it seemed dumb that we were capable of carrying AGM-65s and other munitions but all we ended up being was a camera platform. UAVs soon took over that job and rightly so.

Thanks,Whitey, lol

AWW-13 pod is required for two way data link control of the AGM-84H SLAM-ER that the P-3 carries. Current AIP and updated aircraft can carry legacy Harpoon (AGM-84D) and the SLAM-ER these days. These aircraft are also capable of carrying the AGM-65F IIR Maverick variant. A lot of the work and enginnering we did on the S-3B Maverick Plus upgrade was used by the P-3 community. Buddy of mine overseas now practice with the SLAM-ER CATMs. Odyssey Dawn produced the first P-3/Maverick warshot, actually two but one didn't work from what I remember. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emGDHY_alR8

AWW-13 pod is required for two way data link control of the AGM-84H SLAM-ER that the P-3 carries. Current AIP and updated aircraft can carry legacy Harpoon (AGM-84D) and the SLAM-ER these days. These aircraft are also capable of carrying the AGM-65F IIR Maverick variant. A lot of the work and enginnering we did on the S-3B Maverick Plus upgrade was used by the P-3 community. Buddy of mine overseas now practice with the SLAM-ER CATMs. Odyssey Dawn produced the first P-3/Maverick warshot, actually two but one didn't work from what I remember. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emGDHY_alR8

Bing! There ya go.. TACCO with the answer, thanks Collin. The AWW-13 goes with the SLAM-ER ONLY...man, I gotta get out of the EP world.

From NATOPS: The Maverick Missile Control System (MMCS) allows for control of the SLAMER via an interface with

the AN/AWW‐13 Data Link Pod when installed on wing station 15.

So, as the rumor goes, they got the Maverick cert as a means to getting SLAM-ER since it shared the same control system...probably BS.

Not to confuse ya, the AWW-13 is not req with the Maverick or Harpoon then...if I'm reading that correctly. I'm just going back to the flight sation now...

So, as the rumor goes, they got the Maverick cert as a means to getting SLAM-ER since it shared the same control system...probably BS.

Some say rumor.... I say sound acquistion strategy.... both are true. We knew all along...in the early days of putting AGM-65F IR Maverick on the S-3, that baseline SLAM capability could be utilized. When SLAM-ER came around a few years later...I made the push (I was at VX-1 at the time), to get Laser Maverick added to the S-3 since that code was already present in the system along with IR Maverick (two birds...one stone). I also knew that SLAM-ER control was in there...I just had to "wiggle" a little bit with some folks up in DC to get SLAM-ER launch added on the same Maverick Plus ticket (original plan was for SLAM-ER control only from the S-3B, no launch). So we got all three weapons for one effort. P-3 picked up the effort when were finished our S-3 work...and blended it into their platform. It all worked out pretty well.

Cheers

Collin

Some say rumor.... I say sound acquistion strategy.... both are true. We knew all along...in the early days of putting AGM-65F IR Maverick on the S-3, that baseline SLAM capability could be utilized. When SLAM-ER came around a few years later...I made the push (I was at VX-1 at the time), to get Laser Maverick added to the S-3 since that code was already present in the system along with IR Maverick (two birds...one stone). I also knew that SLAM-ER control was in there...I just had to "wiggle" a little bit with some folks up in DC to get SLAM-ER launch added on the same Maverick Plus ticket (original plan was for SLAM-ER control only from the S-3B, no launch). So we got all three weapons for one effort. P-3 picked up the effort when were finished our S-3 work...and blended it into their platform. It all worked out pretty well.

Cheers

Collin

Alright, well played! I hope they gave you a bonus for that one. Good to know the real back story...I used to hear the TACCOs telling some form of the story to their trainees all the time over my shoulder...you're a TACCO legend!

Edited by 82Whitey51

Bonus...my bonus was some DC folks telling me before it was public that the S-3 was going away and the community was dead. So I took that little tid-bit of info and found a job flying B-1's for the Guard. One of the best career moves I ever made (besides going to Pax/VX-1 in the first place).

I'm a COTAC (CoPilot/TACCO), as we called it in the S-3...I never took on the full TACCO title even when I flew P-3's in the Reserves.

Your P-51 done yet?

Cheers

Collin

Bonus...my bonus was some DC folks telling me before it was public that the S-3 was going away and the community was dead. So I took that little tid-bit of info and found a job flying B-1's for the Guard. One of the best career moves I ever made (besides going to Pax/VX-1 in the first place).

I'm a COTAC (CoPilot/TACCO), as we called it in the S-3...I never took on the full TACCO title even when I flew P-3's in the Reserves.

Your P-51 done yet?

Cheers

Collin

Just about done with the P-51...it'll be done by the time next meeting rolls around.