1/32 Trumpeter A-10C Hog- "Putting Lipstick on a Pig of a Kit"

I've had to make a decision to make most people happy, but mostly make me happy, or at least keep me from going crazy with this build. I will not be doing the usual "Kick It Up A Notch" routine by building the model and adding a bunch more detail as I've done in the past. This model is a real workout to just get it looking so-so, so from now on I'll be showing how to build this model to make it look decent- or at least I'll try. From now on, this build will be labeled, "1/32 Trumpeter A-10 Hog: Putting Lipstick on a Pig!"

One area mentioned many times as a flaw of this kit (there's no many!) is the nose profile, which is much too wide like an egg, rather than slightly pointy. Check out this terrific pic from Prime Portal of the front. Note how there is a crease coming from the edges of the refueling panel on both sides that meet at the front in a bit of a point at the center front, just left of the gun which is offset:

A-10A Front View

Now here's a pic of the kit front. Not even close....

Nosejob1.jpg

Those two circular black discs on either side of the nose are AN/ALR-69 RHAW (Radar Homing And Warning) antenna, which should protrude slightly, but the face is a dark and flat disc. From now on when I insert technical stuff into this thread, just assume I read it in Jake's book, which I did! For the kit above, Trumpeter asks you to insert a round glass knob (Part L-8), which also appears to be from Fantasyland, because I cannot find one real antenna that looks even close to it. As a matter of fact, I lost the clear part on the carpet as I pulled it out- and I didn't even go look for it! :lol:

To get the nose to have a crease that comes to a point is easy, but to suck the sides of the nose in where the antenna are located is major surgery that I have no interest in. The surface is curved and the focal point of the model, the gun, is attached to it, so even if I could pull it off, it would take weeks and I might crash and burn. Let's put some lipstick on this pig instead and hope nobody notices!

Using a felt pen, I gave a rough outline to where I wanted the crease. Unfortunately I did this after a couple cups of coffee <_<

Nosejob2.jpg

Since I plan on grinding the plastic down, I took no chances and added some CA glue to the inside to provide strength and a back stop, should I grind through the plastic. I'm not sure I needed this, but I'd rather have the strength anyway...

Nosejob3.jpg

Out came my Dremel tool with the cylinder sander again, where I ground down the plastic to get the general shape I was after....

Nosejob4.jpg

After using finer sandpaper and smoothing things out, I think it looks a lot better now, even if it's still not accurate on the sides. I also ground down the antenna to make them lower and flat...

Nosejob5.jpg

I temporarily stuck on some metal discs to the antenna, which I'll add rivets to then paint black later..

Nosejob6.jpg

Remember that rough looking surface and seam line on the front of the gun? Look at the rough edges and how do you sand between raised rivets?

Nosejob7.jpg

With a little careful sanding and re-scribing it's better, but I still have a ways to go- and it looks like my spit isn't holding that metal disc on any longer.....

Nosejob8.jpg

When the two fuselage halves are glued together, I'll smooth things out some more since I'll be dealing with very poor mating surfaces anyway.

I will beat this pig, I will!

Edited by chuck540z3

Now that I've had a chance to sleep on it and look at what I've accomplished (not much), I'm now going to go "Hog Wild" and change that stupid nose so that it looks real after all. I just can't do a half-a__ed job, because it will bug me every time I look at it!

If you look at the side view of the nose here on the real deal, you notice a few new things:

A-10 nose side view

Now looking at the slightly modified kit nose again....

Nosejob6.jpg

There are no panel lines forward of the riveted panel to the nose cone and the antennae should be moved forward and be closer together. One of the reasons they are too far apart is that the sides still bulge out too much- they should be flatter.

Here's the new plan:

I'll put some more CA glue or epoxy inside the nose cone area and then grind down the sides to make them flatter. This will remove the antennae, which kind of suck anyway, so I'll somehow make new and improved ones to replace them. It will also remove the forward panel lines which don't exist anyway (at least not as obvious ones), which is a good thing.

I'm off for a few days at Easter, but I should have something to show in about a week.

Edited by chuck540z3

You're a brave man Chuck.

I see your concerns about the shape of the nose, but I'd never had the b@lls to try anything as dramatic as you're attempting.

I wish you good luck!

/Kristian

When you are done with that nose just saw it off and make some resin copies for us :rolleyes:/>

Here some nose pics

vanallesennogwa483.jpg

Mark

Great pics Mark, thanks! They also show that those panel lines rear of the nose cone do exist after all, although they are very subtle, so I'll try to replicate same. Also note that the antennae are in line with the bottom panel line, rather than above them like they are in the kit. If I was at home I'd be all over this. I can't wait to get out the grinder!

As far as a resin copy is concerned, I have already been yakking to Chris (Zactoman) about maybe making a mold of my modified nose when I'm done, assuming it's good enough and I can find a way to do so. The biggest problem in making a replacement is the gun at the bottom. I can't see how a replacement can be made without including it, which is a very detailed pain to do. We'll see how it goes.

Happy Easter everyone!

Edited by chuck540z3

Great photo references guys, thanks for adding them. :salute:

Great pics Mark, thanks! They also show that those panel lines rear of the nose cone do exist after all, although they are very subtle,

Hi Chuck, you've highlighted something important in that statement. For me, the A-10 is one of only a handful of aircraft where I think the use of a panel wash is justified on a model. I'd even go so far as to say that pre-shading would look correct. Perhaps not over the entire airframe but certainly in select areas.

As far as a resin copy is concerned, I have already been yakking to Chris (Zactoman) about maybe making a mold of my modified nose when I'm done, assuming it's good enough and I can find a way to do so.

Happy Easter everyone!

Yay! Go for it. That means that by the time I get around to doing mine, you and Chris will have done all the hard work! :taunt:

:P :lol: :thumbsup:

Happy Easter to you too.

Cheers.

:cheers:

Edit: What is it with all of the slash marks after the emoticons? :blink:

Edited by geedubelyer

Fantastic pics and videos guys! :thumbsup:

Keep 'em coming and let's make this an A-10 resource thread that just happens to have a model built in the midst of it. As I'm learning many new things, I'm sure you guys are too. I'm starting to really like these Hogs.

Hey Chuck, once you get the nose right, what is the plan for adding the Boom dents for your bird of choice? I thought I was a glutton for punishment messing with Revell Phantoms, man, this one will be a career. Looking forward to seeing it happen.

Gary

Edited by ghatherly

Hay Chuck

I've been lurking in the background throughout several of your builds, and I am very impressed with your work.

I too have this Trumpeter A-10, and I found the challenge overwelming, but now that you have taken it up I have resurrected it from the deep dark dungeon to try again. Thank you for the insperation!!

Fantastic pics and videos guys! :thumbsup:/>/>

Keep 'em coming and let's make this an A-10 resource thread that just happens to have a model built in the midst of it. As I'm learning many new things, I'm sure you guys are too. I'm starting to really like these Hogs.

Sounds like a plan! Some more Spang Hogs noses

SDC12040.jpg

SDC12043.jpg

SDC12049.jpg

SDC12055.jpg

Mark

Wow, this is a challenge of a build, but after seeing your past work, I'm only expecting great things to come.

Already, you (& others) have put up a bunch of great info! Thanks!

Looking forward to more, especially the modified nose area...I really want to build this beast of a kit someday, and your always informative words and pictures will be a huge help when (and if :rolleyes:/>) that happens.

'Subscribed'!

-Rob

Love it, the A-10 is one of my favorites! Flying Tigers all the way, I have images of the Gulf War helo killer when it was in Cold Lake for a Maple Flag.

Hitch, who posted in your thread is a good source for info. He flew A-10s and builds a lot of them!

Having only encountered your work first time round on the mustang i have to say i am very excited to see what you can do with this. Even more so that the A-10 was my first proper(ish) build when i took up the hobby (didn't know what an airbrush was back then ;) ).

subscribed!