1/32 Trumpeter A-10C Hog- "Putting Lipstick on a Pig of a Kit"

That is an amazing model Chuck. A real work of art :clap2: :clap2: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. I will be using your in progress work when I start my 2 seater. Not sure I will go the full route like you did since I am leaning towards a What-if. Since they only really had one NAW-10 I am not too worried. I am thinking CAF but who knows.

Hoping to see this next year in Nanton.

Did I read right and you are planning on a summary posting somewhere?

Nice ending with a build tip, have an addition to the silvering resolve. When pin holes are made and you have wet with solution, you can roll either paper towel or cotton shirt piece over the decal to press the decal to the paint.

Good catch Erik. I usually use an ordinary paint brush to do the same thing.

That is an amazing model Chuck. A real work of art. I will be using your in progress work when I start my 2 seater. Not sure I will go the full route like you did since I am leaning towards a What-if. Since they only really had one NAW-10 I am not too worried. I am thinking CAF but who knows.

Hoping to see this next year in Nanton.

Did I read right and you are planning on a summary posting somewhere?

Hi Chris.

I have chickened out of doing the full summary. Right now I'm trying to pull together a magazine article from over 1,000 in-progress photographs and I am overwhelmed. Where do I start and what should I show that's important? I have made literally hundreds of changes to this kit, so I'm trying to stick with the top 100 and then the magazine writers will likely chop it in half to what they like the most- if it gets published at all. Bottom line, is that it's too much work and I'd like to move on, so sorry!

I hope to have this Pig at Nanton next June, but it seems that every year there is a conflict at home with the model contests, but I'll definitely try so that you local guys can pick it apart in person! :woot.gif:

Edited by chuck540z3

I hope to have this Pig at Nanton next June, but it seems that every year there is a conflict at home with the model contests, but I'll definitely try so that you local guys can pick it apart in person! :woot.gif:/>

"Pick it apart" you say. Yeah right, like that is going to happen. Other than you started with the Trumpeter kit it sure looks like the work of art it turned out to be.

Nanton is a while away so who knows right?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chuck

Congrats on finishing this build. To say that it was a pleasure to follow you through this, would be a gross understatement so I'll simply say, Thanks for having taken the time to provide us with so many tips and opportunities to learn from your experiences, at the same time as entertaining us with your high modelling skills and results. Truly Amazing.

Whilst looking forward to your next build, may I take the opportunity to wish you, your family and all your loved ones, a Merry Christmas and a most Prosperous New Year.

From Malta, the small but sunny island in the Mediterranean......

Alex

Hi Chuck

Congrats on finishing this build. To say that it was a pleasure to follow you through this, would be a gross understatement so I'll simply say, Thanks for having taken the time to provide us with so many tips and opportunities to learn from your experiences, at the same time as entertaining us with your high modelling skills and results. Truly Amazing.

Whilst looking forward to your next build, may I take the opportunity to wish you, your family and all your loved ones, a Merry Christmas and a most Prosperous New Year.

From Malta, the small but sunny island in the Mediterranean......

Alex

Hi Alex,

All the best to you as well- and thank you for the kind words!

• 4 weeks later...

Geez guys, thanks again! I was wondering why this build popped up again, but then I realized it was featured on ARC on Tuesday this week with a link to this WIP thread, so some are checking it out who haven't before I guess.

Since it is, here's some more pics, but not from another shoot. The pics are over 6300 pixels wide, so here's some close-ups of some of them I don't think I've shown before. I have to say, now that some time has passed since November when I finished this build, I like it more than ever. :D/>

NewTop1.jpg

NewTop22.jpg

NewTop3.jpg

NewTop4.jpg

NewTop5.jpg

NewTop6.jpg

NewTop7.jpg

NewTop8.jpg

NewTop9.jpg

NewTop10.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

Hi Chuck,

Let me add to the accolades heaped upon you for this amazing build. As you said, I saw your completed A-10 on the site and continued to your build log. I spent the last two days reading over it and trying to absorb all of the amazing information you provided. You certainly created a wonderful blueprint for me to follow when I tackle my own build.

I wish I had known about this earlier. My Father in Law was group engineer on the A-10. He would have been amazed by your attention to detail and enjoyed checking your posts every morning. I am sure I would have been treated to similar stories about the design decisions and problems encountered, but on a 1:1 scale. Unfortunately, he passed away this past October.

Needless to say, I built him several models of the A-10 over the years, including the other 1/32 Trumpeter pig, the A-10 N/AW. Once again, I would like to thank you for sharing your build experience with us and bringing back some fond memories of my wife's father.

Steve

... here's some more pics, but not from another shoot. The pics are over 6300 pixels wide, so here's some close-ups of some of them I don't think I've shown before. ...

Wow Chuck! I almost ducked when I saw those big pic's. Great shots of a great model. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi Chuck,

Awesome images. So crisp. Great photography.

You made a real stunner. Your A-10 is gonna be a real show stopper.

I think now you have a sense of accomplishment. ;)

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander

• 10 months later...

I just read through this thread for the 2nd time. Amazing work. The change you made to the nose, really makes the model pop.

Where can one purchase the replacement canopy from? I can't seem to find it on Squadron.com. Also where did you buy the punch tools?

Edited by Alternative 4
  • 3 years later...

Hi Chuck,

I’m another back after a 40 year hiatus modeler. I was pointed to this forum and your build thread by a modeler I met at a local show. Not sure if you still get pings off questions from this older thread but if so, can you tell me how you created the yellowish caulking line around the canopy. Just careful masking or something else?  By the way, unbelievable build. Thank you for all 50 pages. 
-Steve