1/32 Trumpeter A-10C Hog- "Putting Lipstick on a Pig of a Kit"

hi Chuck, that is a great list of tools and I have most of em on my workbench! The one thing that i don't have is that punch set from Mega Tool.... Any recollection of where you found that set? I would like to add it to my ever growing tool arsenal :)/>

/Jesse

hi Chuck, that is a great list of tools and I have most of em on my workbench! The one thing that i don't have is that punch set from Mega Tool.... Any recollection of where you found that set? I would like to add it to my ever growing tool arsenal

/Jesse

Found it! UMM again- and it's even on sale for $20 which is a steal. Apparently it is now called a "Rivet Master", but it appears to be identical to the one I have.

UMM

Now would be a good time to buy some sanding sticks, lead wire and other goodies at UMM while you're at it. BTW, I have no affiliation with UMM and I get no benefit from promoting UMM products. I just like their stuff and their service is excellent as well.

Edited by chuck540z3

Thanks for the feedback guys. I know I like to stray once in awhile from the build at hand, but that's the only way I can keep this project moving along by keeping the thread interesting, even if it's only for me.

I got a good start on the rear fuselage last night. This assembly has LOTS of nice raised rivet detail like the real deal, but unfortunately, all the rivets are in the wrong place! If the rivets were recessed, I'd just fill them and then recreate them, but there are far too many raised rivets to replace if I did, so I am focusing my efforts on opening up the many vents and modifying the tail.

Speaking of the tail, the A-10C sometimes has a very different configuration from other A-10's at the very rear, with a large circular tube that points rearwards and another one that points downwards. You can see it at about the 2 minute mark of this great walk-around video on Youtube.

What are those tube sensors exactly and what are in those glass lenses?

More pics of it here (scroll to bottom of page)

New A-10 Sensors

Edited by chuck540z3

Hey Chuck! That's my video, sorry it doesn't have a good view of the port side but I actually stopped filming right before the 'ad' for the A-10 flight simulation.

Like you I have no affiliation with the company and receive no benefit at all for including it in there. I simply love the A-10 and would like to let people know how good that sim is.

Hey Chuck! That's my video, sorry it doesn't have a good view of the port side but I actually stopped filming right before the 'ad' for the A-10 flight simulation.

Like you I have no affiliation with the company and receive no benefit at all for including it in there. I simply love the A-10 and would like to let people know how good that sim is.

Sorry Buddy! Your video is my detail bible right now, because still pics can only do so much. Your vid pulls the whole aircraft together. (I have removed my cranky remark!)

Also, from using the simulator, I believe the glass sensors look for detecting 'missile launches' like SAMs.

I think they can see rocket motors. I'm guessing they are like little IR seeker type sensors.

I only suspect this because in DCS A-10C you get missile launch warnings even if your wingman fires a Maverick.

Ha no worries mate, looking back on it now I'm annoyed at myself the video stops for my clunky ad too!

Pretty sure I only stopped at the port side because the pilot had a big group of people there asking him questions.

Thanks for sharing the bear pics, really enjoying your build.

I built this kit a few years back and the engine exhaust nozzles were the most incredulous moment for me, :)

Also, from using the simulator, I believe the glass sensors look for detecting 'missile launches' like SAMs.

I think they can see rocket motors. I'm guessing they are like little IR seeker type sensors.

I only suspect this because in DCS A-10C you get missile launch warnings even if your wingman fires a Maverick.

It appears to be the AN/AAR-47 Missile Warning System(?), which includes wingtip sensors shown in the link above. There is a promo video of it here:

"

"

Oh great, more work! :bandhead2:

Awesome thanks for the link.

Hey I found this on my computer, taken at the same time as the video! Hope it helps:

It does, thank you! Now that I know a bit more about A-10's, this is a totally upgraded A-10C. It has the "Winnebego" antenna, the modified cover over the horizontal vent on the front panel (just under the Warthog head) and the AN/AAR-47 Missile Warning System we've just learned about, to name a few. If you check the wingtips, they have those same camera-like sensors as the tail on the front, so they must work as a unit together. The Hog I'm building has all this stuff (still secret, sorry), so I've got a lot of work to do!

Hey Chuck, That bear looks to big to be 1/32 Scale!! As for A-10's It looks like in a few month, you will be able to look at them all in Tucson at the Bone Yard if the Air Force follows through with its cutbacks. Sad news indeed.

Edited by ghatherly

OK, enough about Grizzly bears and more about Warthogs!

After spending a LOT of time with the front fuselage, I was very hopeful that the rear fuselage would be a lot easier. Well, it is, and it isn’t. While it doesn’t have a complicated cockpit and gun to deal with, there are many vents and antennae to get right. As on the real deal, there are many, many big raised rivets as well that need to be preserved as much as possible.

Here’s a pic of the bottom. While there are two obvious square and circular vents, those 6 circular panels are also supposed to be vents and the drop down door at the top should have a vent as well.

RearFuselage1.jpg

The sides are a challenge too. On the port side should be two more circular holes for the Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) exhaust and the APU compartment vent, but all we get in the kit is a curious bubble and a circular panel above it. The elliptical panel “eyelid” behind the APU exhaust should be lower and the double rivet panel line should be higher above it.

RearFuselage2.jpg

On the opposite starboard side should have another circular vent for the APU compartment vent right behind the wing root assembly, and the circular panel above should not be present at all.

RearFuselage3.jpg

The Cutting Edge Exterior set has these vents cast in resin in the pics above, with the exhaust and vents shown on the right side of the resin sprue.

The tail of the rear fuselage has the old AN/ALR-46 RHAW suite on the bottom, which is really weird because it also has the upgraded “bugeye” AN/ALR-69 Antennae (like the front antennae) that replaced it! This big protrusion needs to be cut off.

RearFuselage4.jpg

The first plastic surgery was to open up all the vents on the bottom of the main door. The Eduard PE kit has a panel that replaces this door which is really nice and highly detailed. I almost used it, but skimming a thin layer of plastic off the bottom of the fuselage to accommodate this panel is very tough to do properly and the new rivet detail would not match the rest of the kit plastic. Further, that large square vent in the middle of the PE part should be recessed about 4 inches (at 1:1 scale) and not be flush and the main door at the bottom should have a vent within it. For these reasons, I decided to cut my own vents and add my own mesh in the plastic parts, especially since I was adding all those CE vents anyway.

RearFuselage5.jpg

I used brass coffee filters again for the mesh within all the vents. In order to get the circular vents reasonably flush with the thick kit plastic, I ground down the interior of the fuselage parts with a Dremel tool, but left the square central vent to retain its thicker relief.

RearFuselage6.jpg

The Cutting Edge vents and exhaust were added with CA glue, following by strips of brass coffee filter on the inside of the rear fuselage after assembly.

RearFuselage7.jpg

View from below showing the brass mesh. The Cutting Edge kit also supplies VHF/AM and FM antenna to the rear, along with the fuel vent pipe. The depressions for the antennae are way too big, so I filled them with CA glue and I will glue the antennae on at the end of the build.

Note: If you’re building an A-10C like me, both antennae should be sloped backwards (see page 55 of Jake’s book). With a Pre-Laste cockpit and a Post-Laste A-10C airframe, I’m going to let this detail slide…

RearFuselage8.jpg

On the left side of this pic, you will see that had to destroy some raised rivet detail in order to get a smooth seam-free join. I will add more Archer decal rivets to replace this damage, but I’ll wait a bit while I do other rough surgery to the rest of the rear fuselage.

RearFuselage9.jpg

Another back-lit shot to show the brass mesh.

RearFuselage10.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

BTW: All recessed rivets and panel lines were re-scribed and re-punched.

The port side APU exhaust and vent, also back-lit. I’m not sure how I’ll paint these vents within and the larger vent has an “eyelid” forcing the exhaust gases to the rear, which I’ll add later at the end (resin part in above pics, just left of main circular exhaust). Yes, that's a bit of crap on the right side of the interior fan (which is now long gone!)

RearFuselage11.jpg

The starboard vent. Note the CA glue filled in circular panel above it, which should not be there in modern A-10's.

RearFuselage13.jpg

For the AN/AAR-47 Missile Warning System on the tail, I’m going to use tubular plastic from a 1/32 AIM 120 missile from the stash, which appears to be about the right diameter. I have a LOT of work to do!

Thanks for your continued interest in this challenging project!

RearFuselage12.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

Wow Chuck, that is looking good. I like the coffee filter trick. Much cheaper then those PE sets and the filter comes with enough screen to cover several jets. Keep it coming brother. :thumbsup:/>

Mike

Nice and crisp work adding those vents and the mesh. Incidentally, do you have any tricks to prevent the mesh from clogging up as you continue the build? I usually mask the mesh off.

I went ahead and purchased a bunch of your top-recommended goodies :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Marcel

Chuck

Imagine you saying thanks to all of us who are eagerly watching your progress on this remarkable build. It is we who thank you very sincerely for sharing with us all your great idea's and tips on how to correct this abysmal model. It gives me some of the courage to tackle my own A-10 and try to apply your solutions to the many difficulties that I have encountered. I wish that I had Jake's book to help with the visuals.

Please continue to show us all the way to a successful build.

Anthony

Thank you very much Gents! Anthony's response was particularly nice to hear, so thank you for taking the time to reply to this build thread.

I have a couple of small surprises coming, the most recent of which is some NEW 1/32 A-10 engine intakes and exhausts and Dual Rail Adapters from Sierra Hotel Models (SHM). When they arrive in a few weeks (thank you Canada Post for taking forever!), I'll compare them to both the kit parts and the Cutting Edge exhausts I have already. I also have the 1/32 SHM exhausts for the Tamiya and Revell F-4E & F-4J's and they are fantastic. Think of the beautiful Aires burner cans, but the CORRECT size for once! Why it took so long for somebody to cook one up is beyond me, but better late (& great) than never. I just wish they were available during my F-4E build to save me a TON of extra work. Here they are (grey) compared to the Aires offering (beige/buff)...

F-4Nozzle1.jpg

F-4Nozzle2.jpg

Website here:

Sierra Hotel Models

As mentioned above, this kit has the older style box-like AN/ALR-46 RHAW antenna underneath the rear of the tail, but it also has the newer AN/ALR-69 “bugeye” antennae on either side that replaced it. Weird, but there are many other mixed time period mix-ups, like LASTE radar altimeter antennas on each vertical stabilizer (but not on the box art), while the front fuselage has the old school gun vent fairings, which stick out way too far.

RearFuselage4.jpg

Since this fuselage is going to be as close to an A-10C as I can make it, I’ve decided to not only delete the boxy antenna, but to also add the AN/AAR-47 Missile Warning System on the tail (and later wing tips), which looks like two tubes with a glass “eye” pointing straight down and directly back. For pics of what this should look like, scroll down to the bottom of this link, which has several great pics:

New A-10 Antennae

Searching around the extra parts bin for something that might work, I spied some 1/32 AIM-120 missiles from the Academy Hornet kit that look just about right for diameter- and they have a hollow core for a clear “lens”.

RearFuselage12.jpg

I cut some tubes about 5/8” long, then inserted a short ¼” piece of tubular clear sprue for the lens. I used kit Part L-12 for the clear plastic, because it almost fit the opening and I have no idea what Part L-12 is for anyway (Does anybody know?). I had to use a circular file to gain enough interior room for the clear rod, then I drilled a hole in the back of each rod and filled it with black paint to give it an interior bulb-like feature within the lens itself. I glued the lens in with clear CA glue, so that I could polish everything down with progressive sandpapers and then polishing compound, to give the lens clarity and shine. After cutting two oval holes into the rear of the tail, I glued the two sensor assemblies into the holes using a bit more CA glue, followed by Tamiya Epoxy Putty to hold everything strong within the tail and to fill the hole created when I cut the big antenna off the bottom (yellow fill).

Rear1.jpg

A closer look at the bottom “eye in the sky”…..

Rear2.jpg

Even closer, so that you can see the gloss of polishing the plastic and CA glue that filled the gap around the clear rod. Too bad this pic doesn’t show the “eye” within the lens, which you can see with better light…

Rear3.jpg

Maybe you can see it in this pic from the rear sensor....

Rear8.jpg

I then used thinned Tamiya putty to fill the gaps and to later create a bit of an apron housing for the sensors…

Rear4.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3