1/32 Trumpeter A-10C Hog- "Putting Lipstick on a Pig of a Kit"

While this putty dries, I thought I would check the fit of the front and rear fuselage assemblies. Based upon prior experience with this kit, I wasn’t optimistic….

Rear5.jpg

Surprise! Not only does it fit, the side wing fairings fit very nice and tight to the side of the front fuselage. I’m starting to hate this kit a bit less already!....

Rear6.jpg

With the two assemblies attached to each other, you can get an idea of just how big this pig will be. Length is about 20”, or about the same as the 1/32 F-4J, but with the wings attached which are much wider than the Phantom, this thing will be HUGE!

Rear7.jpg

Well, it looks like my last update was not recovered, but no worries, for some strange reason I saved it in a Word document which I have re-posted above, which I never do. Weird, maybe I knew something was about to happen to the forums? I'm just glad they're back, not only for the usual reasons, but I submit articles to magazines about once a year and I use these WIP threads to help me remember what the heck I did over the past year or so. I'll post what is missing and a small update later, but I can now FINALLY disclose what A-10 I'm building: Indiana Air National Guard A-10C Black Snakes, 82-0661. The reason I've kept this a secret is because the decals for this aircraft just came out from Caracal Models and they are in limited supply. They were supposed to be ready in May, then July and now they are finally here in September due to slow European printers. I've found in the past that sometimes I'll yak about something I'll be using in my builds, only to find the supply has suddenly dried up when I try to buy them. Since two sets are apparently in the mail, I can now disclose the decal scheme and the link to the decals:

Caracal CD32006

And now some public Air Force pics of this wicked looking serpent. I really like the change from the usual Hog nose art and it will explain why all my modifications to the exterior so far are for the A-10C and not an earlier version.

BlackSnakes2.jpg

BlackSnakes1.jpg

BlackSnakes3.jpg

BlackSnakes4.jpg

I've got some other surprises coming as well, so stay tuned- and thanks for your interest in this build.

Edited by chuck540z3

20) The Chopper styrene cutter. Having trouble getting straight cuts when cutting Evergreen styrene? This guillotine-like chopper has mitered attachments that allow you to create just about any angle or cut you want. The cutter is a plain razor blade, so you don’t need to worry about replacements.

TheChopper.jpg

Well, looks like I found my next tool purchase!!!

September 26/13

Here’s the latest modifications to the AN/ALR-69 “bugeye” antennae, which are the same as the ones on the front nose, and the AN/AAR-47 Missile Warning System, which is common to all modernized A-10C Hogs. If you check the Caracal decal sheet above, you’ll be able to barely see them at the rear.

To create the smooth fairing around the sensors, I used thinned Tamiya putty, let it dry, then carefully sanded it smooth. For all the raised rivets I destroyed, I used more Archer decal rivets that were sealed with Future and the bugeye antennae were re-created using spare brass parts. For the rear convert lights around the larger navigation light in the middle, I used brass bases drilled out to accommodate ordinary sewing pins that I painted black on the port side and white on the starboard side. Older jets have these covert lights above the navigation light, but with the new missile warning system, they have been moved lower so that they are now on either side. I made them all removable so that I don’t have to mask them off when painting….

RearRivets1.jpg

Another angle with the lights pushed into the holes. I used more singular Archer rivets for the screw fasteners on the sensor fairings and the middle navigation light was drilled from behind and filled with silver paint to replicate the bulb assembly

RearRivets2.jpg

From the rear, right side up.. It's funny to think those missile sensors used to be an AIM-120 missile!

RearRivets4.jpg

Don’t forget to replace raised rivets by the engine assembly…

RearRivets3.jpg

Under the wing fairing after the middle seam was eliminated with CA glue and putty (I hope!)

RearRivets5.jpg

And there’s along row of rivets missing on the kit along the bottom on either side…

RearRivets6.jpg

Remember how the port side looked before I installed the two circular vents?

RearFuselage2.jpg

Well that little square panel tucked under the wing fairing should be removed and placed higher. It is supposed to be a rubber bumper for the engine nacelles to rest on when they are open. After carefully sanding them off, I replaced them with two bumpers from the Cutting Edge set on both sides of the fuselage…

Bumper1.jpg

Now another surprise, this time from Sierra Hotel Models. This is a complete set of corrected engine inlets and exhausts and I also bought a Dual Rail Adapter for the AIM-9M missiles at the bottom. Like the F-4 engine exhausts above, these resin parts look fantastic!- and I don’t have to fiddle with the depth of the kit inlet fans which are too shallow.

SierraHotel1.jpg

A closer look to show all the nice detail- and note the nice and thin double lip to the exhaust. I have corrected exhaust resin in the Cutting Edge kit, but the Sierra Hotel offering is much better in detail. I know which one I’ll be using…

SierraHotel2.jpg

First the good news. Sierra Hotel Models (SHM) is a new manufacturer of many excellent resin parts. The quality in what I've seen so far is excellent, with the correct sizes and no bubbles. The bad news is that they don't have any 1/32 parts to sell right now, because they are either out of stock or the part is "Coming Soon". Teething pains of a new business, I'm sure, so let's hope they get some more stock of just about everything, including the kit above. BTW, I think the only reason I got this kit is that I bugged Curtis at SHM relentlessly for weeks until he finally caved in and sent me the parts to get rid of me. I'm very excited about the stuff they have coming and I know I'll be buying a lot more stuff from them. The SHM website is here:

Sierra Hotel Models

Thanks for checking in!

Chuck

Thanks Guys!

I'm liking this build more with each update. I wasn't warmed up to seeing your magic on an A-10 at first. I have to admit this is really gripping my interest now. Congrats on the sweet work.

Cheers,

Aaron

Hi Aaron.

I know how you feel. I bought the kit for my son since he really likes the A-10, but the Warthog was not my favorite jet by a mile. When I started to realize how bad this kit really is I was in a bit of a rut, because I always need inspiration to keep me going on a build and a so-so jet and a crappy kit are not a good combination. With time on the kit, Jake's two books on the Hog and then the announcement that Caracal was coming out with some really cool new decals in 1/32, I started to warm up to the build. Rather than make a good kit better, my new goal was to make a poor kit much better, so it was like "Kicking it up 2 notches", instead of the usual one. With lots of new research, I now like the A-10 a lot, if for no other reason because it's about the most lethal weapon on a battle field ever made. In Jake's book he mentions that the Iraqi's called it the "Whistling Death". When you see it in person at an air show, you know why. That whistling sound it makes as it makes all sorts of tight turns is really quite amazing. I don't know why I enjoy building instruments of death and destruction, because all my builds- and interest in models- are military aircraft. I have a similar pic of the one below on my work desk for inspiration. This beast needs to be made- and done to the best of my abilities. As Jesse mentioned earlier, it is "Bad to the Bone"....

BlackSnakes2.jpg

Wow, A huge Blacksnakes Hog...I love it! Amazing talent Sir

Mike. I see that you are from Indiana. I bet you've seen these bad boys often.

Edited by chuck540z3

Don't know if the one you are doing has this type of exhaust hood or not:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/a-10/images/sutt_a-10_71.jpg

Jari

Thanks Buddy! It does and I have it already- in the Cutting Edge kit. I just don't want to add it until the end of the build.

Hey Chuck,

Nice build, love it. Top knotch as per your norm.

I haven't read through all pages 18 pages lately, but if you don't have the Cutting Edge tires for this kit you can have mine. I sold off my kit and all the other Cutting Edge sets I had. I also have a vacuum formed canopy if you are interested in a second one.

I read your questions in regards to cutting the canopy. I use a Swiss Army knife that has very fine scissors included. I use the scissors to cut the vacuum formed canopy out. I find this method gives me the best precision and control. I tried the other methods suggested here but feel this is the best method, at least for me.

Hey Chuck,

Nice build, love it. Top knotch as per your norm.

I haven't read through all pages 18 pages lately, but if you don't have the Cutting Edge tires for this kit you can have mine. I sold off my kit and all the other Cutting Edge sets I had. I also have a vacuum formed canopy if you are interested in a second one.

I read your questions in regards to cutting the canopy. I use a Swiss Army knife that has very fine scissors included. I use the scissors to cut the vacuum formed canopy out. I find this method gives me the best precision and control. I tried the other methods suggested here but feel this is the best method, at least for me.

Thanks for the offer Gary- and stopping by to check out my build. Do you have a "Most Improved Kit" category at next year's model contest? I just might have this beast finished by June and bring it up to Edmonton if you do. :rolleyes:

Also thanks for the CE wheel offer. I've been hunting high and low for a set on ebay for months, but I can't seem to find a set without it being packaged up with a lot of other CE stuff as a set. However, I notice that Sierra Hotel Models has two A-10 wheel sets coming out next month, called 32322B for the "GY' wheel set and 32322D for the "BFG" version. I assume that one is early and the other is late- which is the one I'll likely need? Does anybody know? Anyway, if I find these wheels hard to acquire, I may take you up on your kind offer.

As for the vacu-formed canopy cutting tips, also thanks. I'll try that next time, but there's no way I'll be doing it on another 1/32 Trumpeter A-10 kit. I think that one of these kits per lifetime is enough of a challenge, so I'll never build another one. With a lot of work, the Squadron canopies can turn out looking pretty darn good if I do say so myself. Here's another pic of it finished, just in case you missed it. I still need to cement in the front windscreen...

Canopy16.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck, wondered if you had seen this photo, may be useful for later on!

Interesting when looking at the ejection seat headbox.

Hell the Archer decals are pricey!

Lovin' it.

Cheers

John

Thanks John! That black box right behind the seat is, well, a "black box" to record mission data, etc., which is well documented in Jake's book. I will be making one from scratch near the end of the build, but there was no use bothering at this stage since I'll be masking int the cockpit soon and it will just be in the way. Same for the seat- but it just slides in and out of the seat rails so nicely I'll never have to glue it in. That pic is really cool too and gives me even more inspiration to do the best job I can.

As for the Archer decal rivets, they may be pricey, but they are ESSENTIAL in this build. They are super easy to apply and they seem very tough, especially with a coat of Future on them to seal them in.

Current status is that I now have the engines almost assembled after much hard work to get the kit parts to fit properly (always a challenge with this kit) and the after-market parts from Sierra Hotel Models. I've also done a bunch of mods which I hope to have pics of soon. Engines, wings, landing gear, pods and LOTS of ordnance to come. I think I'm finally on the down-slope of this build, but time will tell.

Later,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Fantastic build, have one in the stash with a host of goodies, so very grateful for your sharing.

Andy

ps. the True Details wheels are top drawer, and have you seen the Northstar Mavericks? They really are the dogs do dahs! http://northstarmodels.com/product/132-agm65-maverick-lau-117a-launcher/

Edited by Kagemusha