1/32 Trumpeter A-10C Hog- "Putting Lipstick on a Pig of a Kit"

Chuck,

The scenery is certainly spectacular, but how's the Smallmouth Bass fishing in those lakes? It's certainly a fantastic place to visit in the summer time, but since I hate the cold, I'm looking at moving south from Long Island New York when I fully retire in a few years. And YIKES SNOW!!, way to early for us to be thinking about it. It was just 90 two days ago.

Joel

Chuck,

The scenery is certainly spectacular, but how's the Smallmouth Bass fishing in those lakes? It's certainly a fantastic place to visit in the summer time, but since I hate the cold, I'm looking at moving south from Long Island New York when I fully retire in a few years. And YIKES SNOW!!, way to early for us to be thinking about it. It was just 90 two days ago.

Joel

Hi Joel,

The Smallmouth Bass fishing isn't very good, mostly because there is NO SM Bass in Alberta! I guess it's too cold for them, but we do have a lot of every species of trout. The Bow River in Calgary is considered one of the best trout fishing rivers in North America, although a huge flood last year wiped out a lot of the young fish.

Whenever the weather gets cold and we have weird early snowstorms like yesterday, I remind myself (and my wife who hates it), that if the weather was great all year long, our population would be 12 million rather than 1.2 million and we'd have all the headaches that go with very big cities. Most commutes to work here are less than 30 minutes and our crime rate is relatively low as a result.

The forecast for this weekend is back to the the mid-70's and the snow will be gone, so maybe we can have a decent autumn with fall colors as usual. The weather doesn't usually turn really cold until November, so we should have a few more weeks to BBQ and golf. :thumbsup:

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck,

It certainly sounds like it has a lot of pluses. Smallmouth Bass for us are in our northern lakes along with Pike. Trout fishing is a late fall/winter/early spring thing down here. Nearly all my freshwater fishing is Large and Smallmouth Bass. And yet I leave on a Island and rarely go saltwater fishing, as the better party boats are very expensive.

Had to laugh about the crime rate. It just continues to get worse here. 35 years ago when we moved into our home, crime was almost non-existent. Unfortunately, not now. Another reason for looking to move to a retirement community in North Carolina.

Joel

Awesome photos in the Rockies, Chuck. My wife & I were there in May & June. We hit the major tourist spots - Whistler, Banff, Lake Louise (lake ice was just starting to melt), Jasper & points in between. The scenery is spectacular. I couldn't put my camera down.

BTW, you can keep the snow in Calgary. We don't want it. :D/>

Chuck, those are stunning pics!

I grew up right by the ocean and virtually on a beach but must say I'm coming around to loving mountains.

So: How about combing your affection for pristine white areas and plastic by modelling a snow-camo'd Harrier :coolio:

Marcel

Chuck, those are stunning pics!

I grew up right by the ocean and virtually on a beach but must say I'm coming around to loving mountains.

So: How about combing your affection for pristine white areas and plastic by modelling a snow-camo'd Harrier :coolio:

Marcel

Hey Buddy, if it wasn't for the fact that the Harrier is probably the ugliest fighter jet ever made, I might be tempted!

Calgary weather update: It ain't over yet- GAAAAAD! :angry:

Tonight, 9 September

Cloudy. 60 percent chance of flurries this evening. Snow at times heavy beginning late this evening. Amount 5 to 10 cm. Wind northeast 20 km/h becoming light this evening. Low minus 1.

Wednesday, 10 September

Snow at times heavy ending in the afternoon then cloudy with 30 percent chance of rain showers. Snow mixed with rain early in the afternoon. Clearing late in the evening. Snowfall amount 5 to 10 cm. Wind becoming north 20 km/h in the afternoon. High plus 3.

Hi Chuck;

I've been an fan of your work. They are amazing pieces of art (been waiting for an update on this thread ;)/>/> )

I learned much from your post!

I just bought some krylon lacquer for my Tam P51d Mustang (Just restarted modeling planes after a really really long hiatus) and i can't find a place to buy micromesh cloth except at Lee Valley but

they are 2"x 2" pad... Where do you order your's in Canada?

Thanks and keep up the great work!

p.s. Should have probably ask for the micromesh in the tips and tools section... but as i know your Canadian and wanted to congratulate you on your builds i asked here.

Edited by S.Pelletier

Spectacular pics Chuck! The Canadian Rockies have been on my list for quite awhile as is the Bow River; I spend my available vacation time chasing steelhead in BC. But as an avid fly fisherman getting into some of those Bow browns is on the bucket list.

Mike

Spectacular pics Chuck! The Canadian Rockies have been on my list for quite awhile as is the Bow River; I spend my available vacation time chasing steelhead in BC. But as an avid fly fisherman getting into some of those Bow browns is on the bucket list.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'd give the Bow River another few years before you give it a try. The flood last year was devastating to the fish population, although big fish like the Browns are likely still around. I've caught a few in the 22" range, but there are huge ones in the 27-29" range caught every year.

Hi Chuck;

I just bought some krylon lacquer for my Tam P51d Mustang (Just restarted modeling planes after a really really long hiatus) and i can't find a place to buy micromesh cloth except at Lee Valley but

they are 2"x 2" pad... Where do you order your's in Canada?

p.s. Should have probably ask for the micromesh in the tips and tools section... but as i know your Canadian and wanted to congratulate you on your builds i asked here.

Hi,

There are two sources for ultra-fine mesh. The one I used to use the most is from a brass coffee filter that I cut up into usable pieces. It works, but now I have an easier source: "The Model Car Garage" at the link below, where I have a direct link to the mesh and a few more items:

Model Car Garage

I don't build model cars, but there are lots of neat plumbing and electrical items at this site, like hose clamps and metal tie downs I use in gear bays and cockpits. To save on shipping, you might want to add a few of these items, or "The Detailer" weathering washes I sometimes use for small tight areas.

Good luck with the Mustang!

Edited by chuck540z3

Hi,

There are two sources for ultra-fine mesh. The one I used to use the most is from a brass coffee filter that I cut up into usable pieces. It works, but now I have an easier source: "The Model Car Garage" at the link below, where I have a direct link to the mesh and a few more items:

Model Car Garage

I don't build model cars, but there are lots of neat plumbing and electrical items at this site, like hose clamps and metal tie downs I use in gear bays and cockpits. To save on shipping, you might want to add a few of these items, or "The Detailer" weathering washes I sometimes use for small tight areas.

Good luck with the Mustang!

Oh... No; I was talking about the micromesh sanding cloth grit 1500 and up (to 12000); sorry my bad :(/>

Already bought some brass coffee filter for filtering paint and as per your advice ;)/>

Thanks for the link; will probably buy some items from them.

Edited by S.Pelletier

Oh... No; I was talking about the micromesh sanding cloth grit 1500 and up (to 12000); sorry my bad :(/>/>

Already bought some brass coffee filter for filtering paint and as per your advice ;)/>/>

Thanks for the link; will probably buy some items from them.

Oh, well in that case, SPRUE BROS! Probably the best modeling supply store on the continent. Look for the Gunze products at the link below:

Sprue Bros Sanding Cloths

Oh, well in that case, SPRUE BROS! Probably the best modeling supply store on the continent. Look for the Gunze products at the link below:

Sprue Bros Sanding Cloths

Hi Chuck;

Thanks for the speedy reply :)

Will order some tomorrow and put this link to my favorite. As i said, been away from modeling plane for a long time and your links are most welcome.

Have a good night!

Stephane

Hey Buddy, if it wasn't for the fact that the Harrier is probably the ugliest fighter jet ever made, I might be tempted!
Now that's a little rich, coming from a Hog builder! :woot.gif:

I actually like the Harrier a lot, especially the Plus... pity Trumpeter made such a complete hash of the kit, so I will probably never build it.

Marcel

Never really leaves...... depending on where you are.

As I get older, I have a much lower tolerance for the cold. Looking forward to retiring to North Carolina in a few years. They have 4 seasons, but their winters are like your spring and fall.

Joel

As I get older, I have a much lower tolerance for the cold. Looking forward to retiring to North Carolina in a few years. They have 4 seasons, but their winters are like your spring and fall.

Joel

Arizona and Nevada are on our list of places to retire when it snows up here. Cold gets to me too and I work out doors. I have 10 more years and I'm out .....

:cheers:

Emil

Now back to Chuck's awesome work!!

Arizona and Nevada are on our list of places to retire when it snows up here. Cold gets to me too and I work out doors. I have 10 more years and I'm out .....

:cheers:/>

Emil

Now back to Chuck's awesome work!!

Emil,

I'm 67, and on Medicare, but my wife has another 1 1/3 years to go to be eligible. That's all I'm waiting for.

Joel

I'm telling myself that at least we don't get hot humid weather, tornadoes, hurricanes or earthquakes, so I should be happy. So far it's not working.....

I've got another one for you- lava flows. They are now projecting that if it doesn't change the current flow that started on June 27th will hit the subdivision I live in within a month. Dang, we JUST bought this house!!!! Maybe I shouldn't remind you that Maui has a volcano, Haleakala, still considered likely to erupt again someday...

Scott W.

Edited by Scott R Wilson