1/32 Trumpeter A-10C Hog- "Putting Lipstick on a Pig of a Kit"

A real class of masterful skills and awesome modeling techniques! glad to have seen it all from the beginning but getting a bit sad there won't be updates anymore!

A big congrats on such a painfull kit, once done you male it look doable! people have to be aware of the level of will, time and mostly skills needed to be done this way.

Thank you Chuck for taking the time to explain us newbies how you do your work! I've learned so much during this build!

Ay Chihuahua!!!.....MaMa Mia!!!....thatsa one spicey mea....errrr Hog...make that an ULTRA hog..Chuck that is without a doubt in my military mind one of the best jobs of pure modeling ever displayed here or anywhere else, knowing what it took to even get it together after following this thread; I'll say this it's very pleasing to watch a Master modeler at work and to see this final result.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Thank you everyone! It's great that the efforts of this build are appreciated and like anybody, I'm a sucker for praise!

Congratulations for your amazing model.

I have a question for you: after all this very long and very complex effort, do you still enjoy this hobby ?

The answer is YES!! Having said that, what I enjoy about modeling has changed over the past 7 years since I re-entered the hobby since I was a kid. At first I was just trying to make a model that was somewhat clean and accurate without too much in the way of detail. I then started to enjoyed super-detailing my builds, but my scratch building skills were crude, so the results were only so-so. On this model those skills have improved a bit, but I still have a long way to go, so the challenge of improving all of my modeling skills IS the enjoyment I now receive from modeling. No model is perfect and there's always a better modeler out there, so as long as I think my models are getting better and better with each build, I will continue to have fun with this hobby.

Chuck, congratulations on a simply brilliant build!

Really enjoy seeing the complete pics and noticing little things I hadn't seen before, e.g. the lighter shade of paint where the Pave Penny fairing used to be.

:worship:

Marcel

PS Don't forget our little finished model agreement

Really enjoy seeing the complete pics and noticing little things I hadn't seen before, e.g. the lighter shade of paint where the Pave Penny fairing used to be.

:worship:

Marcel

PS Don't forget our little finished model agreement

Marcel

Thanks Buddy. That detail was a pure (and lucky) guess for color! I already knew that the Pave Penny Pod pylon was removed from all A-10's recently, so I got a few pics of the detail of this area from Jake. On the pics he sent, there isn't much of a color contrast because the area had been painted over, so I went with what I thought it might look like without re-painting. As you will see in the pic below I just found 2 weeks ago, I nailed it! Well, sort of....

A-10C 78-0707 in May 2014

Also in May, this pic shows that the door art has been painted over with light grey. The swirl marks left by the RBF flag on the AOA vane is still present though....

A-10C 78-0707 Door

I also notice the refueling "H" on the nose has been changed from white to black.

Edited by chuck540z3

A lot of times (in my opinion) - praise is thrown out a little to easily to everything posted on the Interweb (model wise). I think that this is one of those times where every bit of praise (and then some) is very richly deserved. Your attention to detail - and correction of so many things is truly commendable. When I built mine - I was truly invested in it - because I was trying to replicate "my" jet, but every bit of it was difficult. That 'Hog is a real bear - and nothing about it is easy. I've got another one - but like you - the thought of tackling that beast again anytime soon isn't something I'm eager to do.

Exceptionally well done Chuck - sincerely, the best 'Hog model I've ever seen!

Hitch salute.gif

That is simply amazing, Chuck! Congratulations! I am sure this will be a comp winner somewhere soon.

Checking the photos of the real aircraft, it is clear that you have nailed it quite accurately. Even the circular shaded area around the pitot (?) tube on the fuselage is simulated on your model, amazing attention to detail:)

Especially the cockpit is awsome, even the tiniest instuments and gauges are visible and readable, all rivets around the canopy are precisely placed, hoses and pipes are all there.

thanks for all the effort on sharing your work in detail on the net.

salih

Thanks again guys,your warm comments are always appreciated!

I'm in Vegas right now for the Nellis AFB air show. The A-10 is here, flying and static, so I'll be sure to post some Hog pics of anything I find interesting. Funny, I used to think the A-10 was ugly and boring. Once you spend so much time with an aircraft, it suddenly becomes the highlight of the air show! OK, maybe the F-35 flying will be more interesting, but to me, I look forward to both.

Thanks Buddy. That detail was a pure (and lucky) guess for color! I already knew that the Pave Penny Pod pylon was removed from all A-10's recently, so I got a few pics of the detail of this area from Jake. On the pics he sent, there isn't much of a color contrast because the area had been painted over, so I went with what I thought it might look like without re-painting. As you will see in the pic below I just found 2 weeks ago, I nailed it! Well, sort of....

Sometimes you just have to go with intuition... and then it's really nice if it works out!

Once you spend so much time with an aircraft, it suddenly becomes the highlight of the air show! OK, maybe the F-35 flying will be more interesting, but to me, I look forward to both.

Oh no, no doubt you have just unleashed an A-10 vs F-35 how good at the airshow role thread... <_<

Cheers,

Marcel

What a fantastic result, Chuck. Hard to believe it's been a year and a half in the making.

It's always been a joy to see new progress posted. Not only because I could admire your skill, but also because I was sure to learn something new. I should have posted more times during your build to express my admiration, but one can't keep on posting 'Great work, Chuck'.

So please multiply the following by about 84.28571(once a week should do, no?):

Great work Chuck, and thanks for taking the time to explain and show how things are done.

Edited by huntermountain