• 4 weeks later...

I've only completed one of the wings on my B-17 but that join along the side of the engine area brings back memories. Took a lot of sanding and filling for me. That's where I saw the benefit of having scribed the panel lines (although I know scribed panel lines are not prototypical on a B-17!) bcause I didn't have to worry about losing that detail.

Nice progress though Jim. You're not quite inspiring me to get mine back out the box just yet but you're doing a sterling job.

Cheers

Ian

still going (slowly) on this. Finishing off the nursery has gotten in the way, but I have thrown some paint on it, and am pretty happy with myself considering it's my first airbrush job. I'll try and get some pics up tonight.

Jim

So here is where I am up to.

Got the props painted, decals applied and a little bit of (not particularly good) drybrushing done. They look ok, but some additional weathering will be in order which should reduce the dodginess of the drybrush effort. There are 1 or two tiny bits of silvering to take care of.

9411457531_018080979a_b.jpg

I did some selective preshading in black (never airbrushed before so why not give it a bash hey?) and covered the bottom in XF-53, neutral grey. Obviously still need to paint details etc but pretty happy so far. Gear bays are in XF-4 Yellow Green. I got the right wing join done really nicely, but as you can see the left wing gives me a frowny face. Live and learn I guess.

9411459681_fbc998b214_b.jpg

And here is the top side after being coated in XF-62 olive drab. I'm still going to mask up and apply the red wingtips and tail which will cover up most of the lovely scratch in the wing that I managed to mess up. I am also one of those guys with very greasy, sweaty mitts, so if you look closely you can see a few greasy hand prints on top of the fuse.

Some touching up to do...... and will work on the remaining glass.

9411464175_d2d273acc5_b.jpg

and a side profile so you can see the average job I did on the nacelle joints, after being forewarned by a few knowledgeable types. Engines look great though.

9411461587_ce862027ef_b.jpg

Until we meet again etc.....

Jim :thumbsup:/>

• 3 weeks later...

Time for another update!!

I had a bit of a disaster a few weeks ago, and was on the verge of throwing it out the window, but thankfully I recovered my sense of humour and soldiered on.

The scene of the crime!! :hangingsmiley:/>/>

9526832355_99793e7efc_b.jpg

And after a hell of a lot of rework, here we are today :nanner:/>/>

A few little touch ups required, but looking ok I think.

9526840221_f7574210dc_b.jpg

Onto the main landing gear. These were painted up and gloss coated

9526834479_dde8bb5d4a_b.jpg

Then dirtied up a bit

9529622518_6078ff7eae_b.jpg

And then given a coat of satin varnish

9529624504_31c4753021_b.jpg

I've got 5 weeks before the baby is due to arrive, so I'll keep my head down and see if I can finish this bad boy off. Only a few items to go. Top turret, exhausts, paint the superchargers, decals, weathering and bob is your mother's brother.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your time

Jim B)/>/>

Edited by jim.skinner

Jim, Welcome back to the hobby. You'll find that a great many of use are returnees after years of being away. I took a 30+ year break before returning.

Your OOB build looks real good. For hand painting the interior came out very nice. As you've discovered, research as to the correct colors will keep you pointed in the right direction. One thing I did notice is that you hand painted the ball turret and the nose gunner's clear glass by hand. when the light is right, you can see the unevenness of the paint, as well right through them in spots. You would have been better off masking them, then priming with Tamiya gray primer in a rattle can. The solid base coat. would have given you a perfect base to hand paint over.

The camo paint scheme looks really good. Hard to believe it's your 1st attempt with an airbrush. The pre-shading with the unevenness of the OD really has that used but not abused look to it. .

Looking forward to your next update.

• 1 month later...

Well, I won't bore you with all the details, but I finished this off 6 hours before my wife went into labour. I am now the owner of one happy, healthy baby girl (who at birth was about 1:29th scale by weight)

Here's a pic, and I'll grab some proper shots once things settle down around here :thumbsup:

9796477364_3572be3a5f_b.jpg

Edited by jim.skinner

I want to say this to you. What you did is really done up really nice with some great detail. I also want you to know this. Your paint job was really done right plus your weathering that was a plus. I wish you all the very best in what ever you do in the near future. Keep up the great work up. :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: