Shuttle Wars, Part 19 now posted

Shuttle Wars, Part 19 is posted

Expect a "how to" video and sales announcement for the Beany Cap tomorrow. I have everything ready to go except a little bit of additional photography. I will do that tonight.

Gil

You must be a pretty good teacher Gil, judging by how you showed us the process ... thanx! That was a good thing showing us the transformation of the resin itself ... and how LONG didja wait ... 3 minutes ... 7 minutes?

And to show my 'noob-i-ness', I had no idea the mold was flexible! I just sat here smiling and shaking my head and thought to myself " ... well of COURSE it is you dumb cluck!"

And when I heard your phone ring, with that Star Trek TOS transporter sound, I thought the finished piece was gonna show up magically! :rolleyes:

Thanx alot!

Pete

Gil

That was as cool as the last video! Thanks for posting these.

How soon after you poured the resin did you remove it from the mold?

Mike.

Well, the box says three minutes, but I wait about ten. This stuff cures with chemically produced heat, and the thinner the part, the longer it takes to cure because thicker parts retain heat better. That is one reason I made the master thicker before creating another mold. I had difficulties with proper curing when I was experimenting with the clear resin. It would cool too quickly to properly harden.

You must be a pretty good teacher Gil, judging by how you showed us the process ... thanx! That was a good thing showing us the transformation of the resin itself ... and how LONG didja wait ... 3 minutes ... 7 minutes?

And to show my 'noob-i-ness', I had no idea the mold was flexible! I just sat here smiling and shaking my head and thought to myself " ... well of COURSE it is you dumb cluck!"

And when I heard your phone ring, with that Star Trek TOS transporter sound, I thought the finished piece was gonna show up magically! rolleyes.gif

Thanx alot!

Pete

I wish they would just beam in. Even though the part cures fairly rapidly, I have to heat up the mold for a half hour. I figure from start to finish, all packaged up with the glass and instructions in a padded envelope ready to mail off, it is going to take me about an hour for each one.

I could have edited out the phone call, but I thought you guys would get a chuckle out of it, so I left it in.

The finished piece looks awesome Gil! Thank you for all of your effort, and for sharing your process with us.

So in true beanie cap fashion, i'm assuming this part is simply glued over the existing Monogram kit plastic? Or would I need to cut out and remove the existing crew cabin area?

The finished piece looks awesome Gil! Thank you for all of your effort, and for sharing your process with us.

So in true beanie cap fashion, i'm assuming this part is simply glued over the existing Monogram kit plastic? Or would I need to cut out and remove the existing crew cabin area?

Thanks!

No, you definitely have to cut out the existing Monogram crew cabin area plastic according to specific instructions that I provide.

Edited by DutyCat

Awesome. :)

I've had trouble with casting resin. It won't go into the thin places. I am trying to make a resin mold of an SRB nozzle and the resin will not fill up the space in the rubber mold without setting too fast and leaving bubbles in places.

Awesome. smile.gif

I've had trouble with casting resin. It won't go into the thin places. I am trying to make a resin mold of an SRB nozzle and the resin will not fill up the space in the rubber mold without setting too fast and leaving bubbles in places.

I don't know what resin you were using, but the Alumilite I am using gives you about 30 seconds of mix time. After that, you better start pouring!

Awesome. :)/>/>

The only reason I can think of that keeps a cavity from filling with resin in a mold would be there is no evacuation port. Air has to escape to allow the resin to fill all cravasis. Gil's pour is simplified by having such a large pour port.

Tracy

Edited by Vidar 710