Cleveland Airshow canceled

I knew it was inevitable but this seems a bit early. I guess if they can't get any kind of guarantee from the T-Birds or Angels then there's no show. Tbh the show has been pretty lackluster the last 5 years or so. I still always enjoyed going up on the Friday practice day and sitting on the pier and watching. Usually a much better show than the actual Air show itself.

Thunder Over Michigan is looking better and better as time goes on since it'll be about the only game in town.

Forgot linky http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/03/cleveland_international_air_sh.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Don't read the comments. You'll just get angry.

Edited by Bigasshammm

I flew a BASH demo at Burke some years ago for a conference, it's hard to believe they had a C-5 there for an airshow in the past, it's a pretty small airport.

V/r

Ron

They had A C-5 there almost every single year when I was growing up. Only lately (last 5 years or so) did it not show. I think they also used to have a C-141 back in the day but that may be somewhere else. But they won't allow Air Force fighters to land there anymore since one FODed put on a bird years ago.

The LAST airshow we took the FAA's DC-3 N34 to was Cleveland in 2010. Miserable rainy first day, wonderful crowd the rest of the weekend. Found it funny that a US airshow was sponsored by a Canadian beer.

I'm sorry, but the cancellation of some airshows because some idiots in Washington can't (or won't) try to work together to set a budget, doesn't bother me that much. It bothers me far more that a lot of people who work for the government are facing A. Furlough/outright dismissal or B. a 32 hr work week,w/no overtime, (and only a limited amount of comp time). But then again, maybe my priorities are screwed up!!

I'm sorry, but the cancellation of some airshows because some idiots in Washington can't (or won't) try to work together to set a budget, doesn't bother me that much. It bothers me far more that a lot of people who work for the government are facing A. Furlough/outright dismissal or B. a 32 hr work week,w/no overtime, (and only a limited amount of comp time). But then again, maybe my priorities are screwed up!!

Here, here brother!

"Its all about me..."

Next year we'll be hearing about how recruiting is down and they can't get anyone to join the military.

I won't feel sorry.

Seeing as over the next two years they will be throwing people out left right and center, I think they will survive for a time.

Here, here brother!

"Its all about me..."

All while we continue to give away billions to countries that can afford to pay for (not talking about humanitarian relief items) what we are providing. Talk about small businesses and non profit organizations being impacted by the cancellation of airshows. Each performer is a small biz, and if they aren't performing at these venues then they aren't earning a living. If they can't pay those who maintain their equipment, buy fuel, rent rooms and eat at local restaurants where they are performing, the trickle down effect quickly becomes a tidal wave. Non profits that "work" at these events to raise money for their organizations and the charities they support will also go without.

Just standing down the military demo teams and static appearances, doesn't just end there. No it goes much further economically that the defense budget. I hope that those squadrons who use base open houses to raise money for their booster clubs that support families and local charities can find another revenue opportunity. I know that the money our squadron's raised went to help military families in need, orphanages and other charity organizations. Without those open houses, opportunities they provided beyond the airshow is no gone as well.

Milwaukee 128th Air Refueling Unit also canceled its open house due to the sequestration. I suspect that the WI ANG will also cancel its open house at Hardwood Range too.

I'm think Oshkosh will see a surge in attendance due to the many air show cancellations and those who need an airshow fix for the year.