Monogram Beany Cap "How to" Video...

So the day has come at long last. The Beany Cap is ready. In the absence of anything more clever occurring to me, I settled on the imaginative name of DutyCat Arts for my little garage effort.

Check out the instructional video here:

. For some reason, the volume in the second video segment is bit muted. Turn up your volume a little.

The piece comes with glass microscope slide covers for your windows and a comprehensive instruction sheet.

The glass has to be cut (easy to do) if you want optical quality for your windows, but you can easily use clear styrene sheet instead. The glass is fragile and has to be handled with care, but gives a spectacular result.

To give you an idea of what it will look like installed, here is a pic with the piece just sitting there on the shuttle, dry fitted:

88..JPG

If you want one, give me a shout. Price is $25 including domestic shipping. If you are overseas, shipping will be more. ARCers get first dibs, but after a week or so, you will see these up on ebay as the first step towards DutyCat Art's global economic dominance.

If you want to see a photo summary of the piece and how it was produced, go to The Saga of the Beany Cap on the dutycat blog.

Thanks!

Gil Gregg

Edited by DutyCat

Congrat Gil! I think it came out great. I can see it now, every man woman and child will need one of these. You're gonna have to take the production global, come out with t-shirts and move your corporate offices somewhere nice and plush. :woot.gif:

Seriously good luck, I hope they sell really well. :thumbsup:

Bill

Gil,

I actually saw that you posted this video on YouTube before you posted the link here and watched it. I really like the optical glass, it's a bit more work but the results are well worth the effort!

Nice job and good luck with your sales. I'm sure this one will sell well.

Mike.

Well, I probably won't be paying off my mortgage with the proceeds, but if I can make a few bucks then so much the better. I have been working the Shutltle Wars project for going on a year and a half, and probably half of that time was trying to figure out a way to deal with these windows. It feels good to be moving on to the next challenge...the thermal blankets.

Gil,

The beanie cap is a vast improvement over the kit. Good job, your hard work has paid off! Give me your email address and I'll send you a Paypal payment for my set. I'll even design you a custom window decal to fit the precise shape of your kit once I receive the piece. If you'd like, you could even sell the decal as part of your shuttle window solution!

I just received mine and it's a very nice product! And my window decal fit's perfectly. ;)

Considering what some other resin parts go for this one is a bargain for $25 shipped.

Edited by crowe-t

Gil,

The beanie cap is a vast improvement over the kit. Good job, your hard work has paid off! Give me your email address and I'll send you a Paypal payment for my set. I'll even design you a custom window decal to fit the precise shape of your kit once I receive the piece. If you'd like, you could even sell the decal as part of your shuttle window solution!

Thanks Hotdog,

My email address is dutycat@gmail.com

Hello Bill, Mike, Hot Dog, Gil, and other space shuttle modelers,

It's been really great following your posts about your builds and recommended techniques for accurizing these models. It's helped me a tremendous amount as I slowly assemble my Monogram stack. I was pleased to be able to contribute back a bit despite my novice modeler status by suggesting to Gil the microscope cover glass approach for the windows on the beany cap, and I'm as delighted to see how enthusiastic the community is over the successful result.

I would like to make a request to the more experienced modelers in the group, if possible. Would any of you who have created your own custom decal sheets for the 1:72 builds be willing to share your image files with me? I'm nowhere near as talented in the graphics design department as many of you are and would greatly appreciate adding the better details that I've seen on some of your builds. I will certainly follow any limitations on sharing these files that the creators of these files would request - the decals are just for my personal build.

Many thanks to those of you who are taking the time to photograph, document, and share your techniques with the rest of us.

Homer,

The decals I've done for my 1/100 shuttle cannot be enlarged to fit the 1/72 without loss of quality. I am just beginning my 1/72 build and I won't begin making decals at this scale until the final portion of the build. Once I'm finished, I plan to sell sheets of my decals if you don't mind waiting (might be a couple of years at the rate I'm going!). I feel like I should charge for my decals because of the vast amount of time it takes to create them from high-resolution photographs, but the realism of these types of decals will be well above the other alternatives out there, and around the same price.

Thank you for supporting our shuttle aftermarket efforts here on ARC!

Homer,

The decals I've done for my 1/100 shuttle cannot be enlarged to fit the 1/72 without loss of quality. I am just beginning my 1/72 build and I won't begin making decals at this scale until the final portion of the build. Once I'm finished, I plan to sell sheets of my decals if you don't mind waiting (might be a couple of years at the rate I'm going!). I feel like I should charge for my decals because of the vast amount of time it takes to create them from high-resolution photographs, but the realism of these types of decals will be well above the other alternatives out there, and around the same price.

Thank you for supporting our shuttle aftermarket efforts here on ARC!

Thanks for the kind reply, Hotdog. At the rate I'm progressing with this build, I probably will be buying your 1:72 decals. I just made a big mess applying Milliput to simulate the insulation on the SRBs...hope I can sand off the overflow without requiring too much repainting.

Good luck with your build.

My beanie arrived in the mail yesterday, thanks Gil! The casting is fabulous, I'm very impressed! I'm going to use it in my shuttle re-build. biggrin.gif

You are quite welcome, Vince. Getting the glass windows in will be the biggest challenge. Flatten those window frames out on the inside as much as you can. The fit still won't be perfect, but you can get close if you are persistent.

If that is not working for you, you may have to resort to clear sheet styrene, which is a little more flexible.

• 3 weeks later...