Jump to content

The Thunderjet Republic Never Made

Recommended Posts

This has been rattling around in my skull for over ten years. A couple nights ago, I couldn't sleep. Three hours later, this bash magically appeared. Then I woke up to discover I had been sleep-modeling.


TF-84G-31-RE 51-16974 71st Flying Training Wing.


Two 48th-scale Tamiya F-84Gs kitbashed, FTB kit for comparison. Now I have to finish it.

I elected to "rename" my what-if bash from YTF to TF as it will be done in a Flying Training Wing scheme.

Edited by Plankwing
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I created sub-categories, moved the photos to a sub-category, checked the links and they worked. Why did they "die" later? Only the hoseknows. :rolleyes:/>

You probably could use a T-33 canopy for it, just use the kits windscreen and adjust the front of the canopy to the right angle. (it might be close to the correct width as well.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...

I have scratch-built a canopy mold for vacuforming using RenShape.


Paper pattern on prototyping foam. This foam was too fragile so part broke. I switched to a different density of RenShape to make the canopy plug.


Half of the plug shaped.


Rough shape done, view from top.


Primered and sanded several times, finish sanded with 1500 to 12000.


Using .010 strip stock to add canopy bracing. The short of it is, I could find no way to get the strip stock to stick to the smooth paint surface, so since have removed the strips and will add the bracing with decals. Done that before, can do it again.

Edited by Plankwing
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuselage was lengthened equally fore and aft so CG should be fine. It was already a hassle getting the fuselage contours to look right so too much work to make "slight" changes to enlarge tail for this "what-if" bash. I may be "the masochist modeler" but I do have my limits ... :salute:/>

I am EXTREEEMMMMLY frustrated with trying to include photos in my posts. No matter what I do, including following the "instructions" in HELP, photos will not "post" (notwithstanding that I posted some photos back in March when I started this thread). Most often, after inserting the URL in the "insert image" dialog then "Save Changes" I get an "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board" error. Other times, it just inserts an "external" link to the image on PhotoBucket.

Edited by Plankwing
Link to post
Share on other sites
I would ... maybe make the tail a bit bigger/taller

Okay, okay, you shamed me into enlarging the tail. After I pondered the matter for a bit, I figured I could add sheet stock to the leading edge and tip of the tail to enlarge it by 6" in scale front and top.


Used pounce wheel with paper pattern to create cutting line on .020 sheet stock.


Cemented the sheet stock "up and over" to the leading edge and tip of the kit tail.


Squadron Green putty to commence shaping, have since filed/sanded to shape and primered.

Be sure to check that the inserted link doesn't end with ".jpg~original". If it does, just delete the "~ original".

I discovered the problem, I was copying the wrong "link" window from PhoBuck, needed to copy the IMG window instead. Frustration exited stage left!


Edited by Plankwing
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have scratch-built a canopy mold for vacuforming using RenShape.


Where do you get your Renshape and what is the density? Does it come in "reasonable" sizes?

Also, when will your web site be back????????

Gene K

Link to post
Share on other sites

RenShape sampler is what I bought.


It seems like whenever I get to the task of getting the site back online, something comes up that gets in the way of accomplishing the task. I have the domain and a host, except the host's "features" limit me to a max of 1024 files per folder and all my over 5000 pages are in one folder. I don't have the time to go through and recode the html to "fit" the folder max as I estimate it would take me six to eight weeks to recode everything. And that doesn't include some 2000 more possible pages to add to the site. I have another possible host, but he and I always manage to have a schedule conflict so that isn't done yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

RenShape I used for the canopy was 5030.


I also used 5030 plus sheet stock to scratch build this hood for my 1951 Chev Corsa V12 kitbash. The link to that in-progress build:



I used 5045 to make the bucks for scratch-building the early F-84 Thunderjet pilot seat. Hairoldcut used my master to cast some for me.





Seat in cockpit of F-84C ORANG backdated using Tamiya plus AMS Resin parts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Some progress on the TF-84G build.


The Tamiya wing tanks are incorrect (tank too large, fin too small) so I substituted the tanks from the Revell kit.


Painting commenced, Insignia White and Insignia Blue. Scheme is based on the Flying Training Wing schemes on the T-6A Texans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...