Blackhawk vs. Black Hawk

A little nitpicking for the day. A Blackhawk, only one word, is the S-67 gunship prototype. That's it, named after the American Indian tribe. The UH-60 is the Black Hawk, two words, named after the American Indian chief. I see this confusion here all of the time. When I see 'Blackhawk' in the subject, I expect something about the S-67, but nay, it has something to do with the UH-60.

Guilty as charged. I always assume a Black Hawk/Blackhawk topic is about the UH-60 unless it specifically says S-67. That's also why I use UH-60 in most topics titles because I usually search by variant and not common name. Anyway, here's you a few Blackhawk pics from the USAAM archives.

Ray

S-670003_zps50ed809a.jpg

S-670002_zpsdeb9b633.jpg

S-670001_zps90b1dbe4.jpg

Mischelo20049_zps74234c45.jpg

S-670009_zps04c42fc4.jpg

S-670004_zpsb7f7f3b3.jpg

Edited by rotorwash

'67 was an interesting bird. I have a copy of the flight test report (friend was the FTE on the project). Very similar in concept to the Mi-24, using the dynamic systems from a transport helicopter. Most people don't realize, but the 67 also has a troop compartment in the fuselage aft of the cockpit just like the Mi-24!

The 67 was fairly heavy and moderately underpowered. It had ground handling issues, with those little high-pressure Navy wheels (gear, like the dynamic systems, was derived from the H-3) and all that weight, it had a tendency to sink into unprepared surfaces. Sure was a pretty helo, though.

That would be a cool scratchbuilding project out of a HInd. Hard, but cool! Wonder what the judges would think when you list that its a Blackhawk. I admit, I went through 67T (UH-60 mechanic) school in the mid 80's and I never heard of this helo before. Kinda looks a little like the AH-56 if you ask me.

That would be a cool scratchbuilding project out of a HInd. Hard, but cool! Wonder what the judges would think when you list that its a Blackhawk. I admit, I went through 67T (UH-60 mechanic) school in the mid 80's and I never heard of this helo before. Kinda looks a little like the AH-56 if you ask me.

Funny you should mention that as the AH-56 was awarded the AAFSS (Advanced Aerial Fire Support System) contract in 1966. Because of problems and delays with the AH-56 program, Sikorsky built the S-67 in 1970 as a possible alternative. Of course the whole AAFSS program was canceled in 72 and the rest is history. Unfortunately it's history the Army has seen fit to repeat time and time again, but that's another story.

Ray

I'm still trying to figure how could you get an S-67 from a Hind. As for the judges, what could they say about it being called a Blackhawk, since that's what it is? OTOH, I would hope they'd have a lot to say about a UH-60 being called a Blackhawk....

Funny you should mention that as the AH-56 was awarded the AAFSS (Advanced Aerial Fire Support System) contract in 1966. Because of problems and delays with the AH-56 program, Sikorsky built the S-67 in 1970 as a possible alternative. Of course the whole AAFSS program was canceled in 72 and the rest is history. Unfortunately it's history the Army has seen fit to repeat time and time again, but that's another story.

Ray

Would be remiss if I didn't mention the Cheyenne's OTHER competitor besides the S-67 - the Bell 309 King Cobra. Kinda looked like a G-model Cobra on steroids. Two were built, one with a Pratt Twin-Pac and the other with a T55. Consensus from my friends involved in the fly-off was the 309 was probably the best, but the Cheyenne had it's fans (although ultimately it was too big, too expensive and too political for the Army). In the end, the Army didn't procure any of the three and started the AAH project instead. A lot of the dynamic components from the 309 ended up in the AH-1T and it's successor, the AH-1T+ (AH-1W).

Got any King Cobra pics, Ray?

Would be remiss if I didn't mention the Cheyenne's OTHER competitor besides the S-67 - the Bell 309 King Cobra. Kinda looked like a G-model Cobra on steroids. Two were built, one with a Pratt Twin-Pac and the other with a T55. Consensus from my friends involved in the fly-off was the 309 was probably the best, but the Cheyenne had it's fans (although ultimately it was too big, too expensive and too political for the Army). In the end, the Army didn't procure any of the three and started the AAH project instead. A lot of the dynamic components from the 309 ended up in the AH-1T and it's successor, the AH-1T+ (AH-1W).

Got any King Cobra pics, Ray?

Hmm, let me see. I think I can rustle up a few.

Bell309KingCobra_300dpi.jpg

AH-10163_1280x854.jpg

These were taken at Ft. Hood in 73. I have been told they represent the only known photos of the 309 flying with the large stub wing. All other photos show the much more slender stub wings installed. I have a lot more pics from this series if anyone wants to see them.

Bell30900121_zpsc370d297.jpg

Bell30900090_zps45454a42.jpg

Bell30900056_zps4f5111cd.jpg

KingCobra2002_zps47734d08.jpg

Edited by rotorwash