Su-30SM - Russian Air Force Flanker

For my next trick, I shall be mainly making a RusAF Su-30SM... like this......

Su-30sm_001.jpg

..... by converting the Trumpeter Su-30MKK kit.

All it needs is the canard foreplanes, the Su-27UB-style fins with bigger rudders and TVC engine nozzles...

Su-30sm_002.jpg

Placing the Trumpeter Su-30MKK on top of the Hasegawa Su-33 shows the canard mounting shoulders that need to be added...

Su-30sm_003.jpg

.... so these will be fashioned using thick plastic card.....

Su-30sm_004.jpg

Incidentally (and nothing to do with this conversion) - the Trumpeter and Hasegawa kits match up almost perfectly - and clearly shows the bigger area of the Su-33 wing compared to a 'standard' Flanker.....

Su-30sm_005.jpg

More later.....

Ken (who is not in the least obsessed with Flankers..... :woot.gif: )

Good star Flankerman!!!!!!! as always, what hapen to the Venezuela Flanker??? i like to see.

Hi Ricardo......

It is 95% finished......

venezuela 001.jpg

venezuela 002.jpg

But so many things went wrong with it at the painting stage, I got fed up with it :deadhorse1:/>

It looks OK from a distance, but up close it is a mess.....

I'll give myself a good talking too and try to get it completed...... :bandhead2:/>

Ken

Meanwhile, back at the Su-30SM......

I'm using decals for the instrument panels kindly sent to me by Kotey (Mr Begemot)......

su-30sm 006.jpg

They are part of a decal sheet that Begemot supplied to Sukhoi for some desktop models - they might apppear on a future Begemot Flanker sheet - thanks Kotey :worship:/> :worship:/>

I had to modify the Trumpeter panels slightly to fit the decals.

I have also added the plastic card to make the canard shoulder on the starboard side....and cut my thumb in the process :crying2:

su-30sm 007.jpg.

Ken

Interesting plan!! Have you thought about mastering a 1/72 conversion kit???

Not really - I'm too much of a 'bodger' to make precise, saleable-quality stuff....

Plus - I'd have to make the mods in-situ - then remove them to make the masters.

In the meantime, I have applied the first 'coat' of filler to the canard mounts (the tape is to protect the cannon muzzle)...

Su-30sm_008.JPG

I've also started on the fins.... you could use the Trumpeter Su-27UB kit fins, but as I didn't have any to hand I decided to use the MKK kit fins - (I have some Heller Su-27UB fins, but the mountings are different).

The Trumpeter Su-30MKK fins are too short for either the MKK or the UB - so after cutting back the rake on the fin tip, I had to add plastic card to raise it........ (I used the Heller fins as a template)

Su-30sm_009.JPG

Then I could do the Su-30SM-specific mods.... shorten the rudder and increase its chord by adding plastic card.....

Studying the available photos, there are a couple of aerials/RWR 'pips' that need to be removed as well.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Like the Su-30MKI/MKM/MKA, the Su-30SM has Thrust Vector Control nozzles.

These are simply made by cutting a wedge-shaped 'lobsterback' and adding it to the kit nozzle.

Su-30sm_012.JPG

I found a plastic tube of suitable diameter (from a lipstick holder - don't ask) and used that to make my lobsterback.

It still needs a bit of blending in - but here are the modified nozzles temporarily tacked in place....

Su-30sm_013.JPG

On TVC Flankers, the area ahead of the nozzle also has petals - so these were scribed on......

Su-30sm_014.JPG

It still needs a couple of 'bands' around the two sections to complete it - but it's looking OK - (the photos make it look worse - honest!).

Ken

Don't forget the Su-30SM specific antennas on the spine Ken. ;) Nice work so war.

PS: There are no direct pictures of the SM cockpit yet, but there are suggestions it might not be vanilla MKI like one.

Edited by Berkut

The new Su-30SM is apparently a lead-in trainer for the Su-35S single-seater - and as such has a similar cockpit.

It also has a new, holographic HUD - which I had to scratch.......

Su-30sm_015.JPG

The decals are a mix of Trumpeter Su-30MKK (for the side consoles) and Begemot instrument panels (thanks Kotey :worship:/>/>/> )

Su-30sm_016.JPG

The K-36 seats and control columns have still to be added.

I now need to make the rails for the Blind Flying Canopy - this is a curtain to cover the front seat student to make him use intruments.

Su-30sm_017.JPG

It looks a bit fiddly to scratch - unless anyone has a spare etched-brass one from the Dream Models Su-27UB set??? :pray:/>

(I don't want to shell out for the whole set when I only need one piece).

Ken

My first of four attempts at scratching the blind flying rail and curtain.....

Su-30sm_018.JPG

I also decided to fit two crew members...... both were modified from pilots in my stash....

Su-30sm_019.JPG

Model ready for painting - the canards are 'stolen' from an old scratch-built Su-34 I made years ago...

Su-30sm_020.JPG

Close up of the blind flying curtain.......

Su-30sm_021.JPG

Ken

b5fd6w.png

Spaseba Bolshoi, Berkut :thumbsup:

I was looking at the spine from the side, not the top - so I missed them.

What's the consensus on the colour scheme - I'm almost ready to start painting.

The grey is much lighter than the Su-34 - so I need to try and match it from the Humbrol range.

So any input is welcome......

Ken