Revell 1/48 A-6E Intruder

I had this build on the back burner for some time and finally got around to finishing it. I made the following pieces specifically for Revell's Intruders & Prowlers and made multiple copies for future builds:

Hard Intake Covers

Hard Exhaust Covers

FLIR Turret

Composite Wing Hinge Fold

Composite Wing Weapons Pylons

Hard Covers For AGM-65 & AGM-88 Missiles

The raised panel lines were scribed, crew ladder rebuilt and the in-board top wing strakes were replaced and repositioned. Decals consist of left overs from the stash, but I made the tail markings myself in Photoshop and clear ink-jet decal paper.

Now that Kinetic have released their A-6E representing a composite wing Intruder, I won't have to bother converting Revell's ever again. However, Revell makes a great base for a nice pre-Composite Wing Intruder if one wants to take the time to scribe the panels and rivets.

IMG_0154_zps2d46d736.jpg

IMG_0161copy_zps3e07bfc3.jpg

IMG_0162copy_zps130b4319.jpg

IMG_0157_zps5a4042c9.jpg

IMG_0165copy_zpse296b818.jpg

IMG_0166_zpsfd14460a.jpg

IMG_0160_zpsb8f3dc09.jpg

IMG_0172_zpscabbf6c4.jpg

Nice work sting! May I ask what modification or scrathbuilding you have to do for the composite wing? Thanks!

Eric

Hi Eric,

The composite wing Intruders had a different wing hinge cover from the metal wing Intruders. Also, the weapons pylon directly below the hinge was different too. The only reference to the composite wing hinge I had at the time were hinge covers on the EA-6B Prowlers. They are similar, but I'm not sure they are exactly the same. It appears the Prowler's hinge covers set up higher or in other words thicker? I'm not sure, so my hinge covers may be wrong. Anyway, the wing hinge covers were replaced with what you see on the model. The weapons pylon bulge on the outside where it lines up with the wing hinge was enlarged. I also added the rearward facing "beer cans" near the trailing edge of the wing tips over the fuel vents, however those "beer cans" were not specific to composite wings only. Some metal wing Intruders also had them and I believe they were part of the SWIP upgrades. If an Intruder has the SWIP upgrade it doesn't mean it's a composite wing Intruder, so check your references if you plan to build one.

Like I said, I had this build setting around for a couple of years and in the beginning, I didn't have good references for composite wing Intruders. I can admit I have more now, but I didn't want to start over. This build fought me all the way. It is not 100% accurate. There were some smaller details I could have added.

Edited by sting

WOW!!! That is one beautiful Bird! I like the mis-colored radome you see on a lot of aircraft. And looking at the tail, I'm guessing you were depicting a repaint when the Thunderbolts received this SWIP from another squadron? Awesome job!!!

Very nice indeed. I like the different colored radome which is often seen on these birds. Although the Monogram kit is old, it still turns out awesome in capable hands as is evident by your example. Great job.