Need help with Vietnam HMM-163 UH-34D

I need a good period photo showing an HMM-163 Marine UH-34D helicopter in Vietnam for an upcoming decal sheet. The photo needs to clearly show the BuNo and the serial number (YP-xx), AND have the "evil eyes" painted (these seem to have been painted sometime in 1966, so this means post-1966). I already have another pre-1966 HMM-163 option on the sheet without the eyes painted, so I am not interested in these.

Basically I need a Vietnam period photo of a helicopter just like the one below, where the BuNo is visible:

past11.jpg

I am not interested in photos of restored aircraft or museum examples painted like this (so please don't post a photo of YP-20 or any other current restored examples). I need an actual Vietnam-period photo, preferably taken "in country". As a rule, if you can find it in Google in 5 minutes, I have most likely already seen it and it will not work for me. I have looked at most of the obvious sources (popasmoke.com etc.) and could not find any. By this time many units have been painting the BuNo in black, which makes things a lot harder. If I am really desperate, I can use a BuNo from the after-action reports available online, but I would rather use a real photo as the reference.

Needless to say, the first person who can help will get a free copy of the decal sheet when it's ready. Thanks!

Edited by KursadA

No eyes on this one, but still a beautiful HM-163 bird.

Thanks - I had seen this photo and thought about adding it to the sheet; but as I mentioned I already have an HMM-163 bird on the sheet from the same period. There must be some photos somewhere..

Thanks, but I have seen every single photo you have posted and none of them are usable to me. I am not interested in the museum example marked as YP-20. There is absolutely zero evidence that this helicopter was marked this way during the war and I am simply not going to slap these markings on my decal sheet. Perhaps my request was not very clear:

Just to reiterate and clarify, I am looking for an actual photograph showing an HMM-163 helicopter (with the eyes) with the BuNO visible, taken in the theater of operations during the Vietnam War. I have gone through Google, Flickr and many printed sources (Lundh's book, various editions of the Squadron book etc.) already, what I am after probably exists in a magazine or book and can not be found in five minutes online.

Edited by KursadA

There you can find a lot of different pictures.

Interesting photos there, especially the Kingbees UH-34s. There is nothing about US Marines UH-34D's that I can use, but the VNAF photos will come handy for a later sheet. Thanks.

Edited by KursadA

I need a good period photo showing an HMM-163 Marine UH-34D helicopter in Vietnam for an upcoming decal sheet. The photo needs to clearly show the BuNo and the serial number (YP-xx), AND have the "evil eyes" painted (these seem to have been painted sometime in 1966, so this means post-1966). I already have another pre-1966 HMM-163 option on the sheet without the eyes painted, so I am not interested in these.

Basically I need a Vietnam period photo of a helicopter just like the one below, where the BuNo is visible:

past11.jpg

I am not interested in photos of restored aircraft or museum examples painted like this (so please don't post a photo of YP-20 or any other current restored examples). I need an actual Vietnam-period photo, preferably taken "in country". As a rule, if you can find it in Google in 5 minutes, I have most likely already seen it and it will not work for me. I have looked at most of the obvious sources (popasmoke.com etc.) and could not find any. By this time many units have been painting the BuNo in black, which makes things a lot harder. If I am really desperate, I can use a BuNo from the after-action reports available online, but I would rather use a real photo as the reference.

Needless to say, the first person who can help will get a free copy of the decal sheet when it's ready. Thanks!

Good pics of a faded scheme, but no way you can pick out Bu No. You can barely see the insignia on the side. The one across the spine is clearer.

http://www.usmcpress.com/heritage/1960svietnam/past07.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UH-34D_HMM-163_over_Vietnam_1967.JPEG

Edited by jaggedadze