BAe FRS Sea Harrier 1982

I hope that this would be a plausible What If of the FAA doing a "40th Anniversary of Operation Pedestal: The Relief of Malta" with the FRS1 decked out in (I hope) Sea Hurricane colouring and markings from that period. The decals will come from both the Minicraft kit and some extra Sweet markings.

I have 5 minicraft/academy 1/144 scale kits that came with a Dragon GR5 at a local model show and I didn't want to build 5 of the same aircraft and markings. This is a great opportunity to do something different. (Then I may go pillaging through Richard's website http://studiogekko.blogspot.com.au/ - I like the look of his new A4 'colours' :D/>/>)

There is a reasonable amount of sanding/filing occuring on this.

The air-intakes need a fair amount of Squadron white otherwise the would look wrong (I will have to do this with them all)

A couple of sample pics so people get an idea:

frs1base.jpg

frs1side.jpg

Please note: at this point in time I am trying to figure out where the line should be between the Humbrol 90 and the upper colours. The paint is also only one level thick so far.

I am a bit suprised to see how similar it is to the colour scheme of the GR1 Harrier.

Edited by Wege

More of the same paint going on and on.. layer over layer.

The seat is in the cockpit but it does not jut out of the fuselage as much as it should. The base of the 'canopy' is too 'narrow' for (the seat) and if I were to trim the seat it would still look wrong. I may look and see what I can do for the next FRS1 I have started...but that is another thread. A hint- it is one of Richard "Gekko Graphics" what-ifs. :)

The intakes are almost about to go on and then I will need to match the paint pattern on them.

As an aside, the British roundels supplied with the kit look like nice coloured ones - a pity about the red 'dot' being ever-so-slightly out-of-centre. It just looks weird.

teaser.jpg

Taster of a shot.

Sorry for the poor image at this time - there is not much light here (not the best for modelling either for that matter) and without a tripod I cannot take awesome shots. (perhaps that should just be "I cannot take awesome shots"? :P )

The two naval aircraft projects togther.

It is also rather suprising to see the difference in colour that Humbrol 155 'seems' to be on the two kits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ok. .This is pretty much done.. BAR the images.. >_<

The Academy decals don't stick very well - good thing I had another sheet as the aircraft number came off after 'sticking'. I used Klear as a base and also soaked the decal in klear to make sure it would not move!

The images will come after my Italy trip - in about a month.

It hasn't turned out quite as I wanted it to but it certainly does look different.

The Revell paint turns out to be rather close in tone?tint? to the Cartograph yellow decals that are used by Sweet for their Hurricane Aces box.

I certainly learned about this kit in regards to the engine intakes to the Pegasus engine fan - Acadamy has the fan mounted too far back I think.

While I have almost finished my other "what if 2.0 build" (that I didn't make a thread for sorry folks..) it has been turning out as I think Richard (of Gekko Graphics ) would approve - I got his permission to do the scheme :)

Now.. I think there are some 1/144 scale modellers in Italy..hmmmm..

• 3 months later...

Why thanks.

I did try to come up with plausible 'whiffs'

I just think that maybe the red 'gun markings' may have been a bit overboard.

Once again the images highlight the flaws - the images at full size show EVERY freaking valley, crevasse and off-straight lines.