Canadian f-18 - best kit to start from

1/72 Academy

1/48 Hasegawa

1/32 Academy- or wait for Kinetic to release their boxing of the Academy 1/32 scale kit with RCAF decals.

Thanks for the info. So I'm going to do a 1/48 scale aircraft circa 2011. Do I want a Hase A or a C model hornet?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the info. So I'm going to do a 1/48 scale aircraft circa 2011. Do I want a Hase A or a C model hornet?

Thanks again!

If your are doing the CF-188 from 2011 then it will be the updated version also known as a CF-18AM, with IFF antenna, newer radio antennas, GPS dome, NACES Ejection seat, etc.... Make sure you get either the Hasegawa A+ or A++ kit or you can get the CF-18 Op Mobile resin upgrade from Wolfpack Designs, whch has all these updates in it plus the Sniper pod with proper mount. I think the newer Hasegawa Blue Angels kits come with some of these upgrades.

Cheers,

Denis

Thanks again!

In 2011 most of the upgrades to the Hornet fleet had been completed and the then CAF (now RCAF)

were (and still are) using two distinctly different Hornets.

The original, referred to as “Legacy” Hornets are externally very much like the US Hornets

the differences being in the antennas oleo's and the installation of the identification

searchlight ahead of and below the LEX. If you’re doing a Legacy bird then the Hasegawa F-18A

is your best choice as it contains all you need including the searchlight, although if the

kit is marketed as a US aircraft the instructions omit the information re the searchlight but

the clear part #11 is included and it’s easy to cut out the location point that’s scribed into

the kit.

The CF-188AM is the upgraded Hornet then what Denis says is right on the money with the changes

mentioned above re oleo and searchlight . The Hasegawa F-18C has the CF-188AM tail with the

additional antennas so it saves a little money as you won’t need to get an aftermarket replacement.

Denis mentions the Wolfpack Design Operation Mobile set and I’d say it is extremely useful if you

intend to build the CF-188AM Hornet.

Addendum-

For anyone contemplating the 1/32 Academy Hornet “The Major” has or is about to release a Sniper pod

(with clear parts)upgrade for this kit that includes the correct wing pylon assorted antennas the IFF

bird cutters along with GPS dome!

Edited by centuaryseries

What needs to be done to the 1/72 Academy Hornet to get a CF-188AM?

The Academy 1/72 kit needs very little work to turn it into a RCAF Hornet

the oleo's are different as is the antenna placement and the addition of a

searchlight as well as removing the braces from behind the starboard side

of the vertical stabs is about that's needed.

The Academy 1/72 kit needs very little work to turn it into a RCAF Hornet

the oleo's are different as is the antenna placement and the addition of a

searchlight as well as removing the braces from behind the starboard side

of the vertical stabs is about that's needed.

Does the "World Hornet" boxing incorporate all of this? I know it has the searchlight, at least.

In 2011 most of the upgrades to the Hornet fleet had been completed and the then CAF (now RCAF)

were (and still are) using two distinctly different Hornets.

The original, referred to as “Legacy” Hornets are externally very much like the US Hornets

the differences being in the antennas oleo's and the installation of the identification

searchlight ahead of and below the LEX. If you’re doing a Legacy bird then the Hasegawa F-18A

is your best choice as it contains all you need including the searchlight, although if the

kit is marketed as a US aircraft the instructions omit the information re the searchlight but

the clear part #11 is included and it’s easy to cut out the location point that’s scribed into

the kit.

The CF-188AM is the upgraded Hornet then what Denis says is right on the money with the changes

mentioned above re oleo and searchlight . The Hasegawa F-18C has the CF-188AM tail with the

additional antennas so it saves a little money as you won’t need to get an aftermarket replacement.

Denis mentions the Wolfpack Design Operation Mobile set and I’d say it is extremely useful if you

Addendum-

For anyone contemplating the 1/32 Academy Hornet “The Major” has or is about to release a Sniper pod

(with clear parts)upgrade for this kit that includes the correct wing pylon assorted antennas the IFF

bird cutters along with GPS dome!

A good summary, but I'll just note that the term Legacy Hornet is normally used to differentiate the original F/A-18 design from the newer F/A-18E/F Super Hornet. By that usage all RCAF and CAF Hornets are Legacy Hornets.

Also to my knowledge (and a quick image survey), the CF-188AM retains the A-style tails rather than the C tails. You'd therefore want an A+ or A++ boxing.

No current kit has the correct oleos BTW, that means aftermarket or a little modification (they can be approximated by flipping the oleos on the kit gear).

Edited by mawz

Thanks again for all the help. So on quick inspection no Hase A model hornets are available (haven't looked at eBay yet). I have a Hase C that I could use with the wolf pack conversion. Can it be done? How far off will I be? Not to worried about scratching the searchlight. And what about the MLG? Are there any correct CF-18 aftermarket mlg? Sorry haven't had time to look at that yet. This is the kit I have:

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/has07250.htm

Thanks again!

Mike

So your saying the tails were upgraded to a "C" configuration???

Mike if you need "A" tails I have some.

Curt

No current kit has the correct oleos BTW, that means aftermarket or a little modification (they can be approximated by flipping the oleos on the kit gear).

I just built a 1:48 Hasegawa F-18A (as a gulf war era CF-18) and the kit comes with the correct shocks. Both styles actually.

A good summary, but I'll just note that the term Legacy Hornet is normally used to differentiate the original F/A-18 design from the newer F/A-18E/F Super Hornet. By that usage all RCAF and CAF Hornets are Legacy Hornets.

Also to my knowledge (and a quick image survey), the CF-188AM retains the A-style tails rather than the C tails. You'd therefore want an A+ or A++ boxing.

But we are arse backwards in Canada. When we started upgrading our Hornets our leaders started referring to the old models as Legacy Hornets. I actually pointed out to a few of them that the US was using that term on the first generation Hornets.

When I worked Hornets, I never heard any of us refer to it as the CF-188 (that was painful). We called it the CF-18 or the CF-18M was referred to as the upgraded jet or ECP583 (first upgrades).

Correct about the tails.

Wrong about the oleos, the 1/48 Hasegawa F-18A kits have both included.

Edited by Scooby

ALL hasegawa baby hornet kits contain both oleos (parts K45 and K46). Personally I don't think the CF oleo is accurately modeled, but it's there. As for kit, if you want the modern CF-18M, you best bet is newest boxing of the "standard" release, PT50 07250 or Blue Angels 09930. Both kits include the A and C tails and the "M" sprue with GPS bump, swept antenna, bird slicers, double chaff buckets and new center pylon. Word of caution the BA kit is molded in blue plastic which is a PITA to paint a light color.

You'll have to source the NACES seat elsewhere as hasegawa does not include them in legacy hornet kits. Although if you have a Hasegawa Echo kit you'll have a spare.

Edited by graves_09

Good to know about the Oleo's on the 1/48 Has Hornet, that I was unaware of (and IIRC its a difference from their 1/72 kit).

@John53: The F/A-18A in Foreign Service boxing from Academy has everything you need except the oleo's for a CF-18 without the last set of upgrades, this includes decals for a Balkan Rat CF-18. Hasegawa also boxes CF-18's and F/A-18A's which would be equally useful (but are simpler and less detailed, also usually more expensive unless you find them on sale).

Uncle Bills Hobby in Calgary actually sells the NACES seats in 1/48th and 1/32nd scale under 'The Major' house brand. Can get them on ebay for a reasonable price From Uncle Bill's Hobby.

:cheers:

Emil

You’re right re the tail on CF-18 and I should have mentioned that the oleo could be flipped

on the Haegawa kit.

My wife is right: if I’m using a compuker to post info I shouldn’t be getting ready for work

and trying to learn a new image processing program at the same time “multitasking†just aint

my thing...

I see your point re the use of the word “Legacy†the US use of the term is accurate however

within the dominion of Canada then it’s equally as appropriate from a strictly Canadian

perspective, as Canada does not have F-18E/F/G that supersede an older model. Like the use of

CF-18, F-18, and Hornet to describe the CF-188 on base "Legacy" is in common use when

distinguishing the difference between the upgraded and non upgraded variants.

Anyone sell a CF-188 in 1/72 right out of the box.

Last Hornets I did were the ancient 1/72 Hasegawa

F/A-18As.---John

The Academy kit is a quick easy build and in 1/72 scale its not a lot of work

to build it as a CF-18A.

This is my rendering, depicting "Guns" in the CF-18 when she became the first

female pilot flying as wing on a "Bear" intercept-

GunsHornet007.jpg

Edited by centuaryseries

I didn't realize Guns was flying 718, I have a shot of the intercept. 718 is an old tired jet and wasn't upgraded. It was scheduled for storage but was pulled back when the q-jet shortage was realized.

Guns no longer flys Hornets.

BTW, the non-upgraded CF-18s are no longer flying, AFAIK. The decision was made to pull the plug on them at some point, so they've all been retired. For several years, they had been used on NORAD alert duties, given that the upgraded systems were not critical to the simple missions conducted on alert (QRA).

ALF