CF-18 2013 Demo Aircraft

The new CF-18 demonstration aircraft has been officially presented to the public. I had the pleasure of sharing a meal with the artist behind the demo aircraft, Jim Belliveau, when he was here for the painting process in March in Bagotville. Jim lives in Cold Lake, and he has been designing and painting the demo schemes for several years now.

The official unveiling was delayed somewhat after the paint job was completed; it was on the local news a few days ago. The 425 Squadron Historian, Richard Girouard, has sent me some pictures he took inside 425's hangar of the 2013 demo jet. Richard gave me permission to post them here on ARC. So, without further ado, here they are.

The flags on the spine are the Provincial flags. The words written on the tails are the lyrics to O Canada, in English and French. Jim was very circumspect about the rest of the design when we had supper together, so I didn't get a chance to ask the significance of all the other symbols - but they include beavers, RCAF emblems, and other elements of Canadiana. If you look closely at the lower portions of the tails, you can see profiles of Canadian landmarks like the Rockies, CN Tower, etc.

IMG_7408-msh_zpsec00e6c6.jpg

IMG_7394-msh_zpse54514ed.jpg

IMG_7384msh_zpsa5d4afd6.jpg

IMG_7382-msh_zps6a283523.jpg

IMG_7378-msh_zps28c51155.jpg

IMG_7375-msh_zps119ae1ad.jpg

IMG_7370-msh_zpsbec965b9.jpg

IMG_7367-msh_zps55d33750.jpg

IMG_7361msh_zpsd13075b7.jpg

IMG_7352-msh_zps4ccba541.jpg

ALF

10 points to whomever figures out what the last picture is all about! It has a cartoon drawing, with the words "À bientôt"...

ALF

Very Cool! :wave:

About the last shot, My canadian friend says it translated "See you soon" and the character is a Porcupine representing 433 Squadron.

Edited by FAR148

Very Cool! :wave:/>

About the last shot, My canadian friend says it translated "See you soon" and the character is a Porcupine representing 433 Squadron.

Great effort - 8.5 out of 10 - good translation, and it is 433's mascot (Pogo) in orange outline.

The question is... why have a 433 logo and "see you soon" on this aircraft from 425 Squadron?

ALF

Great effort - 8.5 out of 10 - good translation, and it is 433's mascot (Pogo) in orange outline.

The question is... why have a 433 logo and "see you soon" on this aircraft from 425 Squadron?

ALF

ALF,

Being on medical leave I missed the unveiling of this years demo so thanks for sharing. Happy to see that Flocho got the honours to be this year's demo pilot.

As for the 433 logo the reason is the same as that of last year's zap on the 2012 demo bird. It has to do with the rumours that 433 will be stood back up when we get the new jet. Cough cough CF-35... :rolleyes: As an ex Porcupine you must be excited about this. Oh and I think the translation would be better as "We will be back!"

BTW, Hasegawa is releasing a 1/72 scale Hornet with the 2012 scheme this month. I plan to get a couple and do one for Paco, last year's demo pilot before we both leave this summer!

Denis

Cool, looks like I have to go to Canada to see an airshow.

We are too poor to have that luxury any more. Out of curiosity

does Canada have plans to upgrade to E and F hornets?---John

ALF

Does that mean the finest CF-18 Squadron ever, 416 Lynx Squadron, will be standing up again soon?

The super squadrons were a super failure.

I like the new scheme. Also like to see a couple old squadrons coming back (I'd like to see 428 but that won't happen)

Hopefully decals are going to happen. Still need the Navy crash scheme and last years in decal form.

Cool, looks like I have to go to Canada to see an airshow.

We are too poor to have that luxury any more. Out of curiosity

does Canada have plans to upgrade to E and F hornets?---John

No, currently Canada is on board to buy the F-35A as the Hornet replacement.

That looks great. I would give it an 8.5/10. Last years though, was a 10/10 for me.

I'd put them on par with each other. I like them both, but they both seem to be trying to be "Everything to everyone" schemes and ending up a bit ambiguous in places as a result.

In the context of special schemes that Canadian Hornets have worn over the years, the 2003 Tiger scheme and the CF-18 20th anniversary schemes are both hard to beat in my view.

Yep, but I am talking 1/48, and aftermarket.

Ah yes, I forgot you were exclusive to 1/48 now, sorry!

Usually Leading Edge is reliable for Demo Hornet schemes but I haven't heard about anything in the works. Maybe Riderfan can get going on some decals? He did a great job on the Voodoo retirement schemes.

Denis

ALF,

Being on medical leave I missed the unveiling of this years demo so thanks for sharing. Happy to see that Flocho got the honours to be this year's demo pilot.

As for the 433 logo the reason is the same as that of last year's zap on the 2012 demo bird. It has to do with the rumours that 433 will be stood back up when we get the new jet. Cough cough CF-35... :rolleyes:/> As an ex Porcupine you must be excited about this. Oh and I think the translation would be better as "We will be back!"

BTW, Hasegawa is releasing a 1/72 scale Hornet with the 2012 scheme this month. I plan to get a couple and do one for Paco, last year's demo pilot before we both leave this summer!

Denis

Never knew there was a Zap on the 2012 bird... does anyone have a picture?

Intersting, it doesn't look like this color jet was given the 80% re-paint. That is where as a minimum all the upper surface colors are re-done before the colors are added. It looks like it was given a wash and scrub and then the colors were added.

Alf, was this the first time you met Jim? Jim and I know each other well from Cold Lake.

Ah yes, I forgot you were exclusive to 1/48 now, sorry!

Usually Leading Edge is reliable for Demo Hornet schemes but I haven't heard about anything in the works. Maybe Riderfan can get going on some decals? He did a great job on the Voodoo retirement schemes.

Denis

I am working on the info for the Navy bird. The problem being is there were not many pictures taken of the jet before it crashed; I know the pilot and he doesn't have many images. I also know the demo team from that year, and even they didn't take many pictures.

There is a long convoluted story to all of this but it boils down to a broken relationship and a person who has all the info who doesn't want to distribute it.

I am working on the info for the Navy bird. The problem being is there were not many pictures taken of the jet before it crashed; I know the pilot and he doesn't have many images. I also know the demo team from that year, and even they didn't take many pictures.

There is a long convoluted story to all of this but it boils down to a broken relationship and a person who has all the info who doesn't want to distribute it.

Pretty sad. I do hope that we will see some in decal form someday.

Emil