CF-18 2013 Demo Aircraft

I have a very large collection of high res Navy Scheme photos, and I've done the artwork for the decals. I even built the one shown below, that is now sitting on Brian Bews' (the pilot) desk.

Dsc_0881.jpg

Dsc_0882.jpg

Dsc_0880.jpg

Dsc_0878.jpg

This is a 1:72 Hobbyboss kit (which needs a lot of work to make it a CF-18. The kit doesn't even have LEX fences). The artwork I've done is probably 'okay' at minimum for a 1:72 kit. But to do it in other scales, I really need access to the source art. Or very least, good scans of the port and stbd flat tail art. As I spent 10 years in the Navy myself, this is the one I'd most like to do, but there's some politics involved and that's preventing me from making this set happen.

thanks

David

Edited by RiderFan

ALF,

Being on medical leave I missed the unveiling of this years demo so thanks for sharing. Happy to see that Flocho got the honours to be this year's demo pilot.

As for the 433 logo the reason is the same as that of last year's zap on the 2012 demo bird. It has to do with the rumours that 433 will be stood back up when we get the new jet. Cough cough CF-35... :rolleyes:/> As an ex Porcupine you must be excited about this. Oh and I think the translation would be better as "We will be back!"

BTW, Hasegawa is releasing a 1/72 scale Hornet with the 2012 scheme this month. I plan to get a couple and do one for Paco, last year's demo pilot before we both leave this summer!

Denis

Ding Ding Ding!

You win - the prize is a free beer at my house - but you have to come and visit. You're lucky that you're not ineligible for the prize, given that you have access to the answer key on Base at Bagotville...

Of course the translation can depend on the context. In this case, I'll be back is in fact closer to the intended meaning, but one would have to know why first, eh?

And yes, it would be good to see 433 back flying, with whatever fighter we get next. Maybe on some UCAVs? :rolleyes:

ALF

Does that mean the finest CF-18 Squadron ever, 416 Lynx Squadron, will be standing up again soon?

The super squadrons were a super failure.

416? Dunno... It was definitely one of the top 6 CF-18 Squadrons... :thumbsup:

I had very mixed allegiances. 433 was my first unit, but I also flew many flights in Germany with 409 (fun to fly in Europe with a Hawk callsign). My Dad flew Starfighters with 439, so I've liked them as well, plus he was on 409 on the Voodoo... and of course, 416 was our sister squadron as a Rapid Reactor assigned to Lahr in wartime, just like us at 433 - and we've done joint deployments to Lahr (433/416). All I can say is that 441 and 421 are not my favourites, although one ARCer in the Baden area is a 421 fan, and he's a hell of a great guy...

Let's just say they were all good.

ALF

Intersting, it doesn't look like this color jet was given the 80% re-paint. That is where as a minimum all the upper surface colors are re-done before the colors are added. It looks like it was given a wash and scrub and then the colors were added.

Alf, was this the first time you met Jim? Jim and I know each other well from Cold Lake.

Scooby

No, I had met Jim during the unveiling of the 2010 demo bird, where I took several shots in the hangar. I also probably saw him around at 410 when I was a student there in 87, but I was too absorbed in the course to pay attention to staff members I wasn't immediately involved with. He's definitely a nice guy; turns out we were also in Portage La Prairie at the same time in the late 70s.

ALF

Looks good up close. Lots of small details... Wonder what it will look like a few thousand (or even hundred) feet away and a few hundred knots airspeed...

... but there's some politics involved and that's preventing me from making this set happen.

and Scooby talking about "broken relationships"...ALF18 saying; "...Jim was very circumspect about the rest of the design ..."

Really ? :huh:/> I have always been surprised by these "Cloak and Dagger" stories surrounding CF18 Demos over the years...

and Scooby talking about "broken relationships"...ALF18 saying; "...Jim was very circumspect about the rest of the design ..."

Really ? :huh:/>/> I have always been surprised by these "Cloak and Dagger" stories surrounding CF18 Demos over the years...

I don't think Jim is the problem....

Cheers

Emil

I don't think Jim is the problem....

Cheers

Emil

You have that right, Emil. Jim is an innocent bystander in all of this so-called "intrigue." Just to clarify for Yves, what I meant by circumspect is that when I shared a meal with him, the details of the 2013 demo had not yet been made public, so I didn't press him for details, and he didn't volunteer them - makes it easier to respect the desire for the project folks to save the punchline for the end, when it is officially revealed.

Even if he HAD told me something about it, I wouldn't reveal it anyway... it's called professional courtesy and respect of confidentiality.

ALF

Really ? :huh:/>/> I have always been surprised by these "Cloak and Dagger" stories surrounding CF18 Demos over the years...

It all has to do with recognition not being given to those who deserve it. There was a simple fix to the problem. Sadly it is the modeler who is suffering.

You have that right, Emil. Jim is an innocent bystander in all of this so-called "intrigue." Just to clarify for Yves, what I meant by circumspect is that when I shared a meal with him, the details of the 2013 demo had not yet been made public, so I didn't press him for details, and he didn't volunteer them - makes it easier to respect the desire for the project folks to save the punchline for the end, when it is officially revealed.

Even if he HAD told me something about it, I wouldn't reveal it anyway... it's called professional courtesy and respect of confidentiality.

ALF

I hear you, thanks for the clarification concerning Jim, I can certainly understand the need for professional courtesy.

Back to the modelling desk, I got a CP-140 to finish.

I hear you, thanks for the clarification concerning Jim, I can certainly understand the need for professional courtesy.

Back to the modelling desk, I got a CP-140 to finish.

Amuses-toi bien!

Happy modeling.

ALF