This is the 1/48 Academy kit with the Steel Beach nose correction and Aries cockpit and nozzles. Here's where I'm at with the painting process. I tried using Tamiya Smoke to dirty up the base coat, and I think I'm liking the outcome. From there I did various corrosion control touchups and gave it a pin wash of burnt umber and lamp black oil paints.

103f14wip1.jpg

103f14wip2.jpg

103f14wip3.jpg

Darren,

I like the patchwork effect you were able to achieve here. Something I have been meaning to try.

Do you have any pics of the Academy Nose Correction from before you installed or painted it? I have been thinking of getting it for my next Academy Cat but would like to the detail of the resin itself first.

Denis

Hi Darren is that the Academy windshield? Looks suspiciously Hasegawerian, maybe the new nose just makes everything look more 'right'.Looks really really good; ummm, this makes the academy kit more of an option...

Edited by dryguy

Hi Darren is that the Academy windshield? Looks suspiciously Hasegawerian, maybe the new nose just makes everything look more 'right'.Looks really really good; ummm, this makes the academy kit more of an option...

You caught me! Yes, I grafted a Hasegawa windscreen on. I'll also be using the Hasegawa canopy. I had a parted out kit that I've been robbing things from. :whistle:

Man, that weathering is faaaantaaastiiiiic!!! I really want to try this but I'm afraid to just as much. I've been freeze-framing those scruffy Tomcats in Top Gun, lately, to study the weathering. For that Tamiya smoke there's no turning back, right? I mean, every step is a done step? -- If you weather an area too much can you undo it?

Man, that weathering is faaaantaaastiiiiic!!! I really want to try this but I'm afraid to just as much. I've been freeze-framing those scruffy Tomcats in Top Gun, lately, to study the weathering. For that Tamiya smoke there's no turning back, right? I mean, every step is a done step? -- If you weather an area too much can you undo it?

It's true you can't undo it, but you can spray over it if you don't like. The beauty of Tamiya Smoke is that you can spray it in light coats. A couple of light coats dirty up the base coat quite nicely. Then you can run heavier coats along the panel lines, giving it a "pre-shaded" look, only more realistic. When you come back with the base colors for corrosion control, you can cover up as much of the Smoke as you'd like. Navy jets are usually so ratty that you can go back and forth with the weathering and base colors all you want and it will turn out well.

One thing to keep in mind with Tamiya Smoke is that it is glossy so you'll have to clear coat it to keep it from standing out.

This is true. If you put on a gloss coat for decals, the glossy issue of the Smoke is taken care of. A final flat coat would have to be applied over the decals anyway, I would imagine.

Here's where I'm at with the Slugger's jet. The pictures aren't the greatest, but they show the progress thus far. I used Steel Beach intake covers with Afterburner decals along with the Steel Beach F-14 cover set with Eduard RBF tags. I've got to do the canopy and seats along with going back through and cleaning up some things. I'm pretty happy with overall weathering. There are a couple of areas that I need to do some streaking, but overall I think it captures the look of a weathered Tomcat without going too far to the "artistic" side. BTW, this is the 1/48 Academy kit with the Steel Beach nose correction.

103wip4.JPG

103wip5.JPG

103wip6.JPG

103wip7.JPG

103wip8.JPG

103wip9.JPG

103wip10.JPG

Edited by Darren Roberts