The new 1/32 Tamiya kit is a Corsair!!

A visiting sister-in-law and two out-of-town work trips slowed me down, but I just updated the preview model build at Skyway Model Ship's web site -

http://www.skywaymodel.com/Builds&Previews/TAM60324.html

Nothing new in Part 4 - Engine, but there is a new shot of the tail wheel gear assembly as well as a side console painted up and a bunch of new wing assemblies.

Rest of the week is looking clear, so productivity should be higher.

I got a notice to pay for the weathering kit. But not the corsair yet. Oh well it's going to sit in the stash for a while anyway. Also waiting on the Darth Vader tie from fine molds its supposed to be a July release too

Thank you. Mine is somewhere between HLJ & here & I want to get my paints ready.

No Problem :cheers:

Question for the math-inclined.....I should know how to do this and I know there's a simple formula but it doesn't

come directly to mind now that I need it.

Some (all?) of the FAA Corsair I's had their wings clipped by 40 cm (16 inches)

What does that equate to in 1/32

Just wondering if I can use the first panel line as a guide

Thanks!

No Problem :cheers:/>

Question for the math-inclined.....I should know how to do this and I know there's a simple formula but it doesn't

come directly to mind now that I need it.

What does that equate to in 1/32

Thanks!

In 1/32, 1/32" = 1 inch in real life. Scale conversions just don't get any easier than this. A 16" clip in full scale = 16/32 in 1/32 scale = 1/2" total, or 1/4" per side.

But, having said all that, Tamiya made the tip caps separate parts, and while I haven't measured them I'd be really surprised if that didn't line up with the cut line for the clipped wings.

People know that not all FAA birdcage Corsair Is had the clipped wings, right? You can build one using the wingtips you get in the kit.

Thanks Dave...but the EagleCal sheet has a clipped-wing plane I was targetting for my build.

I don't build 1/32 aircraft, but I like the F4U and purchased the Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1. The FAA Corsair I without the turtledeck vision tunnel is an interesting variation that I may build someday. Some Corsair I aircraft did have clipped wings. According to the maintenance manual, the wingtip from wing Sta. 149 outboard was removed and replaced with a shortened wingtip. The wing outer panels were delivered with this modification already done. The image below shows the wing from the Lake Michigan F4U-1.

F4U-1WingsStations_zps2a64ee18.jpg

The kit wingtip from Sta. 149 outboard are provided as separate parts, A5 and A13. These wingtips are solid. From Hobby Search:

10223241n.jpg

You could cut and file the kit wingtips, A5 & A13, to the required shape and length. Easy enough to do.

Don

P.S. - Oh no!

The kit wingtip does point out an oversight. Aft of the outer panel main spar, the F4U-1 wingtip was fabric covered as you can see in the first image above. Through the oval opening in the wingtip, the last rib at Sta. 154 is visible (Sta. 159 being the outermost point of the wingtip). The kit wingtip represents the removable wingtip used on much later Corsair versions. The kit wingtip rivet pattern is all wrong! The woe!

So I got my bird yesterday. Looks beautiful. I didn't get the clear cowling version since I ordered from HLJ but I did get a color information book. Did this come with every boxing or is it something they did for the other markets instead of the clear cowl? I was wondering because it was printed on the box like it was separate.

So I got my bird yesterday. Looks beautiful. I didn't get the clear cowling version since I ordered from HLJ but I did get a color information book. Did this come with every boxing or is it something they did for the other markets instead of the clear cowl? I was wondering because it was printed on the box like it was separate.

I think they all come with a little booklet with information and detail photos of restored Corsairs. My kit was from Canada and had both the booklet and the clear cowl parts.

Edited by Dave Williams

I didn't get the clear cowling version since I ordered from HLJ but I did get a color information book. Did this come with every boxing or is it something they did for the other markets instead of the clear cowl? I was wondering because it was printed on the box like it was separate.

Here's the publications that came in the kit I received from ScaleHobbyist in New Hampshire, USA. The pamphlet from Vintage Wings of Canada was included. Your kit contained another publication?

32TamiyaF4U-1Booklets_zps025a9c29.jpg

The kit included clear parts for the engine cowling (standard grey parts for same also included). A sticker was placed on the boxtop identifying the kit as an "export version only".

Don

32TamiyaF4U-1Boxtop_zps76760a8a.jpg

I haven't opened the package yet but those look to be the same publications maybe minus the pamphlet. I just wasn't aware that they came with color photoed booklets. I was also pleased that there were canopy masks included as well. Things I hadn't heard about before. Resisting the urge to build it. Lol

Edited by Bigasshammm