Open Wheel Racing Group Build poll

Open Wheel GB!  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Would you participate in an Open Wheel GB?

• RUSH! (yes)
    • Maybe
    • I'd rather drive in circles (no)

So we need to keep growing the auto presence of the forum. We did a pretty good job with the muscle car and race car GBs last year or so. In September this year Ron Howard's RUSH movie comes out about the battle between James Hunt and Niki Lauda. If you haven't seen the trailer go check it out because as movies go it looks amazing. As Formula 1 fans go we've not seen anything like it before.

So I'm proposing that in September we start a Formula 1 GB. Probably could also include Indy since in the early days especially the series were linked and the cars very similar. So basically an open wheel GB running probably 6 months. There's plenty of kits out there from 1/64, 1/43, 1/32, 1/24, 1/20, 1/12 up to even a few 1/8 subjects. I'll mod it with whoever else if anyone wants to mod. Not much to it though. Maybe we can get some sponsors this time also so any help there is appreciated.

GB will include ALL open wheel race cars not just Indy or Formula 1.

Edited by Bigasshammm

In the states F1 is not exactly the big kid on the block. Now I like F1 probably as much anybody here does, and I loath NASCAR anything. But your post title was the right start in the words "open wheeled racing". Race cars don't have fenders! Why not bring in all forms of open wheeled racing? Everything from a USAC midgit to the F1 car. (even a Bonneville roadster)

gary

In the states F1 is not exactly the big kid on the block. Now I like F1 probably as much anybody here does, and I loath NASCAR anything. But your post title was the right start in the words "open wheeled racing". Race cars don't have fenders! Why not bring in all forms of open wheeled racing? Everything from a USAC midgit to the F1 car. (even a Bonneville roadster)

gary

I wanted to keep it to just F1 and Indy and possibly Formula cars but there's not many kits of them. With the F1 and Indy category there's literally hundreds of options to choose from. We did the full on race car GB a year and a half ago and with the movie RUSH coming out I figured we might get some interest in more Formula 1 stuff. ARC is not just a USA based forum either.

If you are concerned about participation, allowing any open wheel racer would probably be a good thing. I say that primarily thinking of the two Midget kits that Revell came out with last year. The aftermarket scene has exploded with decals and parts for these kits, and they are killer kits to begin with simply OOB.

Oh yeah, and if you want another mod, I'm sure you could twist my arm into it, as long as I can enter the McLaren that I never finished from the last GB!

-Dave

The only problem I have with the midgets are that they are a sub class of a completely different form of racing. Usually if you start out in midgets the progression leads to stock cars not open wheel racing typically.

I wouldn't be against go carts obviously.

Didnt we just have a race GB ?

id go for cars GB but maybe more wide range i have a nice Ferari California in the stash and a Evo X thinking street racing

Edited by Neo

I wanted something more specific and F1 models are very unique an theres a ton of them. I'm trying to get some guys from the F1 Modeling forum to come over here and make the auto section a little livelier.

I'm going with a solid maybe. I have a handful of Tamiya Indy / Formula 1 cars including the 6 wheel Tyrell P34 so if I'm in the mood when the GB kicks off I could be interested. Honestly though when I saw the title Open Wheel Racing my first thoughts were dirt track racers, midgets, sprints, modified stock etc. If these categories were included I would be far more likely to join in.

Alright alright I have been beaten.

GB modified to include ALL open wheeled race cars.

Indy cars

Formula 1

Karting

Midgets

Dirt track

Top Fuel dragsters I guess

All the smaller Formula 300 type series

Caterham Super 7s

Anything I'm missing?

If the wheel is enclosed in any way then it's a no go or will be handled on a case by case basis. Or basically if there's exposed suspension pieces then it will most likely fit the scenario.

Changed my vote to a yes (of course dependant on many variables in the space time continuum) :P

I am not a big racing fan, I like some of the cars for the technical aspects and am mostly interested in the older cigar style Indy / Formula cars that I remember as a child. The only actual racing I somewhat care to watch is the dirt track stuff I can see locally because it lacks all the crap that goes along with huge corperate sponsored racing. Not to be negative towards the sport just setting out my total lack of racing cred before I actually get to my point.

I claim no expertise but a brief online perusal would suggest to me your initial idea is not far off, but perhaps you were including some personal bias in what you consider feeders to Formula racing. Open wheel racing would seem to be fairly closely tied to Formula / Grand Prix / Indy and includes (per wikipedia)

Formula (I had no idea how many variations of this there are), including Formula 1, Indy 500, and Grand Prix

Modified

Super Modified

Sprint cars

Midget Cars

Quarter Midgets

Kart racing

Board track racing (1920-30s)

The term does not seem to include drag racing, although obviously there are drag cars with an open wheel construction style.

As far as Midgets / Sprints not feeding Indy / Formula racing AJ Foyt, Mario Andretti, Parnell Jones, and Al Unser Jr started their careers in midgets / sprints, if a non racing fan like me recognizes those names I assume they are notable figures. ;)

Just my 1/2 cent on the subject

What the heck count me in I have quite a few kits I would like to get started on but mostly the Fujimi Ferrari F10 and Tamiya RB6. Think I might work on them both side by side and see how they compare. I already have some aftermarket for both such as carbon decals for both and the S27 Monaco conversion for the Red Bull. Always wanted to do Webbers car from that GP. Heck I think I may even have my skills up to scratch using my digital camera I bought off a friend last year. Bring it on I say!

Edited by joeltc

Alright alright I have been beaten.

GB modified to include ALL open wheeled race cars.

Indy cars

Formula 1

Karting

Midgets

Dirt track

Top Fuel dragsters I guess

All the smaller Formula 300 type series

Caterham Super 7s

Anything I'm missing?

If the wheel is enclosed in any way then it's a no go or will be handled on a case by case basis. Or basically if there's exposed suspension pieces then it will most likely fit the scenario.

I may build a Boneeville blown fuel roadster, or maybe even a modified blown fuel roadster. Let me see what I have in kits

gary