1/32 F-8 Crusader Nose Weight

Hello my learned friends.

How much weight will I need to add to the nose area to keep this from becoming a tail sitter. There is nothing in the instructions to indicate how much is required. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

Matt...That's the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks.

Steven...I had seen that thread previously. I use steel sinkers. Fortunately there has been no reaction from the steel to the CA glue...yet. Thanks for the public reminder.

toadwbg...That will be the next step if I don't get the responses I need here. Thanks.

Curt...Thank you for your response and let's leave it at that.

Edited by AX 365

Can't answer for the 32 scale. In 1/72 and 1/48 I have never used any weight. None have ever been a tail sitter even with the wings in the "up" position.

However, with a kit this big I agree with Matt, better a little bit to be safe.

One way to figure out how much if any weight is needed, just mock-up the fuselage and wings, place a pencil on the table and set the A/C main gear location across the pencil, then you will know if its tail heavy and can work up the added weight you might need. I always put weight in the nose of any tricycle geared a/c just to be safe.

Another method is to do the same mock-up and balance the ac on your fingers.

Curt

No weight needed on the Crusader. When I built mine I used no weight. It sits on the nose wheel positivley.

Don

Now that's the kind of answer that is useful! The method of dry-assembling is always a bit risky, because there are bits and pieces inserted into the fuselage (cockpit, tail pipe, etc) that can throw off the balance point. Hearing this from someone that has built the kit is much-needed confirmation.

ALF

Now that's the kind of answer that is useful! The method of dry-assembling is always a bit risky, because there are bits and pieces inserted into the fuselage (cockpit, tail pipe, etc) that can throw off the balance point. Hearing this from someone that has built the kit is much-needed confirmation.

ALF

That's exactly what I was looking for. Perhaps I should have qualified by question with that statement in my original post. Merci, Monsieur ALF.

I typically tape the model together...at least the major components...and sit the model on the gear and start adding weight until the nose comes down and rests on the gear.

I usually take this step but as ALF pointed out above, in this build there are many pieces that would have affected the CG if I left them out. Thanks for your informed response, kind sir.

Little more work on these ones though.....

On their butts

Go ahead axe me about them........ :rofl:/>/>/>/>/>

E

D'oh! With apologies to Ricky Ricardo, "Load Master....you have some 'splainin' to do!"

Thanks for you replies, gents. All appreciated.

Mike