Last night our upstairs toilet decided it would plug up and overflow out the top, and make its way through the floor/ceiling into the hobby room, directly onto my stash >_> This is actually not the first time my stash has been killed off quickly, either..

Apparently because it's all sewer backup, they're gonna get trashed, they don't look dirty to me, buuuut..whatever.

/rant

The plastic should be able to be saved. I'd clean everything in something though obviously. The boxes and paperwork probably for sure trash.

Maybe you can open a spare parts business!

l agree a good detergent should do the trick. Save what you can you can alway replace the instruction sheets as some here might have what you need plus like what was said you can always sell it off and start fresh too

l agree a good detergent should do the trick. Save what you can you can alway replace the instruction sheets as some here might have what you need plus like what was said you can always sell it off and start fresh too

I agree, you can wash the plastic with washing powder.

You know there are two ways to stop an overflow, unless it's a system back-up.

1.Pull the lid off the tank and manually shut the flapper (fastest)

2.Shut off the angle stop behind the toilet, although this will not stop the water that's already in the tank.

I'd just fill the tub with warm/hot water some dish-washing soap and a bit of bleach and clean the plastic, remember all soap is anti bacterial, and the bleach will certainly kill anything that survives the soap.

Curt

A friend of mine kept his stash in the garden shed until it was inundated by an overflowing sewer. Everything made of paper was knackered but all the plastic was salvaged and is now patiently awaiting new decals. On the plus side, although I'm not sure he quite sees it this way, his garden got a load of free fertiliser.

It's very unlikely that the insurance company will actually inspect the damage. So long as they were aware of the stash and didn't come up with any silly conditions for your having it, and you can get some way to proving you did own everything that was ruined, they'll almost certainly take your word for it. Then you can start the delightful process of arguing over causation and value. A photograph of the mess should suffice for proof. So you should be able to retrieve the plastic without fear of mucking things up over your claim.

Yeah. I would have shut the water off, but it actually happened in the middle of the night so I figure it was running for atleast a few hours. No clue what caused it to plug up.

those missing parts will always come back to haunt us, one way or another

a few years ago when I left my first wife I put all my stash into storage as l had no where else to put it. Two years later some idiot in the next unit decided to do some welding or something and to make a long story short he started a fire and I lost all my personal stuff including all of reference material and my entire stash. There is a silver lining in this as now I can restart it but with better models. So count yourself lucky cause at least you still have the plastic where I lost everything

You know there are two ways to stop an overflow, unless it's a system back-up.

1.Pull the lid off the tank and manually shut the flapper (fastest)

2.Shut off the angle stop behind the toilet, although this will not stop the water that's already in the tank.

I'd just fill the tub with warm/hot water some dish-washing soap and a bit of bleach and clean the plastic, remember all soap is anti bacterial, and the bleach will certainly kill anything that survives the soap.

Curt

Actually all soap is not anti-bacterial. I work in a factory making soap and unless the soap has triclosan or triclocarbon in it, it's not anti-bacterial. Sorry for not-pickin!!!!

a few years ago when I left my first wife I put all my stash into storage as l had no where else to put it. Two years later some idiot in the next unit decided to do some welding or something and to make a long story short he started a fire and I lost all my personal stuff including all of reference material and my entire stash. There is a silver lining in this as now I can restart it but with better models. So count yourself lucky cause at least you still have the plastic where I lost everything

Dang man, I feel for ya. Atleast you got new and better models, hey? Hopefully you had insurance cover it?

Anyway, if this stuff all goes to the dump..oh well. I'm gonna try and save all the plastic like you guys say, give it all a good wash in the tub with soap. It's not like all the water that came up was all brown and crap, just clear toilet bowl water..gross anyways though.

Good thing my binders of aftermarket decals weren't on the workbench when it happened :banana:

A couple built models that were getting touchups/cleaning/refurb (Hase 1:48 F/A-18F and A-7E got crushed by a falling ceiling panel though, LOL.

My Belcher/Italeri CH-146/Bell 412 Conversion waiting for paint got thrashed though. Kinda ****** about that, but what can you do.