First let me welcome you to ARC, one of the best; if not the best modeling forum on the 'net. There are many here who would be able to help; however they probably don't understand Deutsch. Now on with the problem as it were. The gray color on the F-104 is FS 16473 (ADC gray); much like the Delta Daggers/Darts, Voodoos, etc.My research finds that the unit that flew "Widowmakers" in the gray scheme was:

319th FIS at Patrick AFB

I don't recall any USAF aircraft having FS16440 as an overall color, which the USN used extensively.

Finding which other squadrons were in that Air Group or Wing should give you a confirmation. I was not able to find if this is the case or a stand alone unit such as the 32nd Fighter squadron based at Camp New Amsterdam, Soesterberg, Holland.

HTH

Edited by #1 Greywolf

USAF used the ADC grey sheme a lot on their Starfighters.

Most were F-104A & B from ANG units.

But also F-104C & D were painted in ADC gray.

But most of the F-104C were painted in natural metal & later in SEA camo

Sorry Dude,

Most pictures that I have of ANG units that operated Starfighters were in the MNF with white wings.

151st FIS, Tennessee ANG operated F-104A/Bs 1960-1963 in NMF w/white wings. Were deployed to Ramstien AFB, Germany during the 1961 Berlin Wall Crisis. Re-equipped with F-102A in 1963.

157th FIS, South Carolina ANG operated F-104A/Bs 1960-1963 in NMF w/white wings. Were deployed to Moron AFB, Spain during the 1961 Berlin Crisis. Re-equipped with the F-102A in 1963.

197th FIS Arizona ANG operated F-104A/Bs 1960-1962 in NMF w/white wings, but I did find a picture of one F-104A in grey just before retirement. Were deployed to Ramstien AFB during Berlin Wall Crisis in 1961. Re-equipped with C-97's in 1962.

198th FIS Puerto Rico ANG operated F-104Cs & F-104Ds in SEA camo 1967-1975. These aircraft were directly transferred to them from the 435th TFS while returning from Udorn, Thailand in July 1967 and kept thier SEA scheme until retiement in 1975. Were re-quipped with A-7Ds.

The F-104A/Bs from the 151st ad 157th were re-assigned to ADC Command and stationed at Homestead AFB, Florida in 1963 after withdraw from ANG use. The 197th's aircraft were split up with some going to Jordan, Taiwan, Pakistan and ADC Command. A few others were scrapped.

Thank you for your help and for the well come since I'm not very good at making aircraft in natural metal, I always push or gray or camouflage. :rolleyes:/>/>

If your not too keen on natural metal finishes, you can always paint it as an QF-104 drone.

Here are some great pictures of drone Starfighters

Edited by Johnopfor

Most pictures that I have of ANG units that operated Starfighters were in the MNF with white wings.

A small addendum - the wings on natural metal Starfighters were Gloss White on top and FS 16473 on the bottom.

HTH,

Andre