Uh, the AF still flys Hueys?

So I'm out here in the middle of nowhere waiting for a ride and what shows up? A Huey. I've seen the upgraded USMC version, but I was surprised to hear that distinct thump coming my way. The AF folks seem to be under the impression they'll still be flying for a long, long time. Talk about money well spent.

Yep, the N-models are used at missile bases to help the Security Forces "quick response" in order to protect the nukes. Yours was probably down from Cheyenne.

At Fort Rucker, the 23rd FTS fly the TH-1H training new USAF helo drivers.

-Jeff

So I'm out here in the middle of nowhere waiting for a ride and what shows up? A Huey. I've seen the upgraded USMC version, but I was surprised to hear that distinct thump coming my way. The AF folks seem to be under the impression they'll still be flying for a long, long time. Talk about money well spent.

http://www.af.mil/information/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=130

A Huey beats a Hawk. What?!!! Are you kidding me? A hawk taxing can go faster than the UH-1 pot-bellied pig! (Ha Ha). Isn't nothing more of a blast than a UH-60 with doors open flying NOE with a hot-dog-knows what he's doing warrant officer at the controls going 160 knots, yanking and banking!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm surprised they never transitioned to the Blackhawk, but with internal politics and the boondoggle that is known as acquisitions and procurement nothing surprises me anymore. This thing will probably still be flying with the B-52's after I'm long gone.

A Huey beats a Hawk. What?!!! Are you kidding me? A hawk taxing can go faster than the UH-1 pot-bellied pig! (Ha Ha). Isn't nothing more of a blast than a UH-60 with doors open flying NOE with a hot-dog-knows what he's doing warrant officer at the controls going 160 knots, yanking and banking!!!!!!!!!!!

Except flying nighttime NOE in a Huey with a 25-year WO with multiple Vietnam tours at the controls. Those guys were just getting out as I was getting in and they really flew those things to the limits. Never was scared in a helo before or since. I swear that some of the helos came back with tree branches stuck in the skids.

Blackhawks got the Huey beat when it comes to speed and power but for those who like to arrive in style, nothing beats a Huey :)