Hello!

I'm starting of with this 1/72 Airfix Corsair...

1-72+Corsair.jpg

... and yes, that's all the parts!

I have never been a big fan of Airfix kits but some of their newer kits are very nice. That's why I bought this one, before doing research first, only to find out that it's an old kit in a new box :bandhead2: . "Never again!", I told myself!

I'm building this one out of the box. I have a few new tricks that I want to try out!

Edited by Nicolaas

I'm going for the British Pacific Fleet markings. I have been building way too many camouflaged models lately!

@SERNAK: That is not a bad idea but the detail on some of the parts (landing gear, propeller, engine, cockpit) is so bad that it will have to be replaced completely! I'm thinking in-flight, gear up, prop spinning...

The decal sheet is easily worth the cost of the kit. I've bought a couple of those just for that sheet, I use the Airfix decals on Tamiya kits with the Tamiya stencils and reuse the rest of the Tamiya markings on the Heller/Airfix kit (it is indeed the Heller kit, the even older and cruder Airfix F4U appears to be long gone).

Note the stencils are only right for the TSS Corsair II, the GSB Corsair IV should have white stencils. Note the Corsair IV is in fact one of the most notable Corsair's and certainly the most notable FAA Corsair as it was the aircraft Hampton Grey won the VC in, becoming the second and last VC winner in the FAA during WW2.

Here's the kit built as an aircraft of VF-84, with the Tamiya F4U-1D in the back as 115/X using the Airfix decals and Tamiya stencils

7729480958_56462c1384.jpg

F4U-1D and Corsair Mk IV by mawz_models, on Flickr

Edited by mawz

Thank for the heads up and info mawz! I have to agree with you on the decals. They really are something special. You did an excellent job on yours! I'll be happy if mine turns out half that nice. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Progress...

After painting the interior I decided to rescribe the panel lines. I used a hobby knife and followed the raised panel lines. I used a compass to make rivet holes. After sanding with P1200 wet and dry sandpaper I went over the lines again using a slightly thicker knife that went blunt over the years.

The result...

Corsair+Mk.IV.jpg

The plastic is very soft and quite thin in some places. I punched a few holes right through the fuselage. Nothing a bit of filler can't fix!

Corsair+Mk.IV+(1).jpg

Now, on to the other side of the fuselage and the wings!

• 1 month later...

Progress...

I'm done rescribing the panel lines and fitted the major parts together. A lot of filling and sanding had to be done especially aroung the wheel bay doors. I need to do a bit more sanding and fit the canopy then its of to the paint booth!

Corsair.jpg

Nico

Very nice rescribe, really improves the look of the kit.

That's what I intend to do with the other copy of the kit I have (it's good practice for me, I've done little rescribing).

Thanks for the compliments! This was the 4th 1/72 rescribe for me in a years time. It is my least favourite part of the hobby but it really is worth all the work at the end of the day.

After masking the canopy with Tamiya masking tape and Humbrol Maskol...

Corsair+paint.jpg

...the model was primed with Tamiya gray primer. I forgot to take a picture of it before painting the main colour :bandhead2: (Tamiya X-3)

Corsair+paint+(1).jpg

The first coat of future is on. I'll wait a few days before applying the decals.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Nico

• 1 month later...

Thanks Luno13!

Quick update...

Paint on, decals on, future on!

Corsair.jpg

Picture+002.jpg

I will wait a few days for the future to dry before continuing... I am actually enjoying this build!

Cheers

Nico

• 1 month later...