1/24 Revell Huey Gunship

Hi Guys,

Here's my next build, I brought it at the end of last year and have been looking forward to making a start on it.

It is huge kit so is going to need a lot of detail, only problem is there isn't any aftermarket parts for it. The instrument panel is just a decal so I'm thinking of getting some PE bezels for something else and fitting them in the right places. It'll at least look better than a decal in this scale.

If any of you have any ideas on what else I can butcher to use for detailing I'm all ears.

On to the photos:

Box and spru shots:

IMG_2494_zpsccbfdf77.jpg

IMG_2495_zps27175479.jpg

IMG_2498_zpsf6d6e0df.jpg

IMG_2499_zps257738fd.jpg

IMG_2500_zpsef72cfba.jpg

IMG_2501_zps4e3f023c.jpg

IMG_2502_zps2b19625b.jpg

IMG_2503_zps640b3560.jpg

Here it is with my 1/72 Iroquios for comparison:

IMG_2497_zps0ff7009f.jpg

I made a start by cutting out the mesh in the engine covers to replace with something more realistic and cut one of the doors out. The plastic is very thick and hard so it was a lot of work to cut through. Still got the other side to go.

It's got raised panel lines so I was going to try and scribe them then sand the old ones off but If I do that I'll loose all the rivet detail so I will probably leave it as is.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been slow going at the moment, been pretty busy lately but most of the aftermarket parts I ordered have arrived.

So far I've cut out the front doors, the engine mesh covers and drilled out a couple of holes in the sides that still need to be detailed and added some plates under the doors that need some rivet detailing:

IMG_2506_zps98dc2c93.jpg

IMG_2507_zpse9f37b23.jpg

Sub assemblies together:

IMG_2508_zps82f47ef2.jpg

The engine and gearbox was soaked in coke for a couple of days to get rid of all the chrome and worked really well. They have some good detail but since it will be quite visible through the aftermarket mesh vents it'll get some extra pipes and wires:

IMG_2509_zps28eec000.jpg

Holes in the floor were drilled out and I've ordered some 3mm sterling silver jump rings to represent the tie down points on the interior:

IMG_2510_zpsa7080f89.jpg

1/24 scale allied instrument bezels and various PE switches levers and other components that I may be able to use to busy the inside up a bit:

IMG_2512_zpsf6c7541c.jpg

1/24 scale instrument decals and two sets of mesh for the engine covers.

IMG_2513_zps21b1fcbf.jpg

I'm not going to use the pilots so I'm going to cut their helmets off their heads and sit them on the front seats. I still need to find some decent sets of seat belts to fit. I'll need a couple of pairs for the back seat too.

Nice work so far mate! I built this kit about 10 years ago and tried my hand at converting it into an H model. Turned out ok for my skills at the time, although I'd love to have another crack at the title one day. I look forward to seeing how yours pans out.

Craig

I managed to get a little bit done over the last couple of days. I brought the aftermarket set of decals but I thought it would be easier for placement of instruments if I just used the kit decal then placed the PE bezels over the top. I fitted as many as I could get on and then used some Microscale Crystal Clear for lenses.

IMG_2515_zps0950e956.jpg

It's still wet in the pics but looks good now.

Added various wires behind the instrument panel into the avionics bay and started weathering the floor and added the jump rings into the holes in the floor.

IMG_2517_zpsc9b5b09e.jpg

IMG_2519_zps943bd4c5.jpg

IMG_2520_zps5f4c90c0.jpg

IMG_2523_zps1788e40f.jpg

Thanks guys,

I've done a lot of overtime the last few days but managed to get a small update done today.

I resprayed the ammo cans and strapped them down, looks a lot better than it did:

IMG_2528_zps3dafc0d6.jpg

IMG_2531_zps7fd76a3c.jpg

I managed to find a plain yellow decal from an old Revell Medicopter kit that I used to dress them up a bit more.

I'm really not happy with the quality of the rear seat so I've started making my own out of plastic rod. I'll finish it off tomorrow and post some pics then.

Here's the kit part:

IMG_2533_zpsf9a229f6.jpg

I brought the aftermarket set of decals but I thought it would be easier for placement of instruments if I just used the kit decal then placed the PE bezels over the top. I fitted as many as I could get on and then used some Microscale Crystal Clear for lenses.

IMG_2515_zps0950e956.jpg

That's a neat trick with the Microscale Crystal Clear. I'll have to steal that idea from you :thumbsup:/>

Here's where I'm at with my seat. I made it from plastic rod and masking tape. It's painted and dry brushed but haven't added any washes yet:

IMG_2534_zps43d7e6ed.jpg

IMG_2536_zps797166ab.jpg

Started detailing the front seats. The RNZAF D's have red cushions with sheep skin covers so I copied those:

IMG_2537_zps7c61b41e.jpg

Dry fitted together. Starting to take shape:

IMG_2538_zps0c8b42ca.jpg

IMG_2539_zps301e8261.jpg

IMG_2540_zps199c7e89.jpg

Here's the difference between the rear seats. Mine is still a bit plain at the moment but it'll look a lot better with some belts:

IMG_2541_zps4e9ea678.jpg

IMG_2542_zps836c51a2.jpg

I started working on the ceiling today. It only came with the frame so I covered it with plastic card then lined it with modelling clay and scribed the pattern into it. Make a huge improvement to what it would have looked like OOB. I just need to tidy up the edges where it meets the fuselage and add all the electronics up the front.

IMG_2543_zps8909164e.jpg

IMG_2544_zps26f75c66.jpg

IMG_2546_zps06b3a57f.jpg

I dry fitted the engine and transmission just to see how much will be seen through the gaps so I don't get carried away and detail parts that will never be seen.

IMG_2551_zps1f9f2d53.jpg

IMG_2550_zpsbb1ad5d2.jpg

IMG_2553_zpsf7751a49.jpg

It's starting to look like a helicopter!

IMG_2552_zps3ed1a6f4.jpg

and next to a 1/72 Iroquois, It's pretty big. Over half a metre long.

IMG_2549_zps3da19061.jpg

Super Duper! I ended up with the Rev. Germany Swiss Rescue boxing from years ago (Was likely a D model in reality!) so I don't get any of the gunship goodies. I was considering placing it on a Lowboy trailer in transit with tie downs to not torture myself with all the work you have to do!

Top work Dean! I have a B based near me that I'd like to build in 1/48, but being a civilian jobbie it won't have as much going on in the back.

I love what you've done with the instrument panel!

Thanks guys,

Just a small update this time. I got the back wall, engine and transmission permanently fitted. It's only got very basic detailing as almost all of it will be hidden when the fuselage is together, especially with the mesh over the holes.

IMG_2555_zpsb715ae9b.jpg

I sanded off the molded rings off the backrest and replaced them with wire and painted masking tape. Makes it look a bit more realistic

IMG_2562_zpscb94f541.jpg

Front seats got a bit more detailing:

I aged the covers with concrete and dark dirt washes and Drilled holes out for some belts I'll add later on

IMG_2564_zps4afd27f1.jpg

IMG_2565_zps12a4181f.jpg

I've got a small update before my night shift tonight, I brought some maps off ebay to dress it up a bit:

IMG_2566_zps07baac6b.jpg

IMG_2567_zps25248f62.jpg

IMG_2569_zpsedf3cf74.jpg

Seats are permanently fitted and I added some more wiring in the foot wells. I mocked up some basic belts out of tape to show how they'll look and added mounting brackets in the floor for them. And have a fire extinguisher beside the seat that I still need to mount:

IMG_2571_zpsde578fff.jpg

IMG_2572_zpsd88b7c48.jpg

IMG_2573_zps579ff9e1.jpg

IMG_2576_zpsc5ef9c2a.jpg

Once all that's finished I'll start on the side walls between the front and sliding doors and the instrument panel on the roof. Hopefully it'll be ready to close up by next weekend

Thanks for looking

Dean

Very nice work inside the cabin. I was working on this kit while back but it turns out the clear parts were bit small in all corners on all windows. I haven't figured out how to fix it and thus put it aside.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'm not looking forward to the glass parts now, I hope mine's not too bad. I'll have to check the fit before I close it up.

I managed to get the interior mostly finished today, I've just got a few more extras to add once the whole thing is almost done. I rebuilt the rear seat as I wasn't happy with my first attempt, It was too wide and blocked the ammo belt so I had to shorten it down. All the belts are on and fire extinguisher mounted. The instrument panel on the roof is completely fictitious, I just used some leftover PE parts to give a bit of texture so the dry brushing would show up some details. It'll barely been seen once it's sitting on the shelf anyway. I've still got some wires to add in there for the helmet comms but that'll wait til last.

IMG_2595_zps22e93e14.jpg

IMG_2596_zpsa5530b3b.jpg

IMG_2599_zps3ba0fc91.jpg

IMG_2601_zps1e6541c7.jpg

IMG_2605_zpsa69decb4.jpg

IMG_2606_zps38ff0775.jpg

IMG_2610_zps4d64f646.jpg

IMG_2609_zps783799d8.jpg

The fuselage just needs the mesh added to the engine covers then the whole thing will be ready to close up.

Nice progress. I'm looking forward to see how you will fill the gaps between the cabin floor/wall with fuselage. I'm still pondering this step as well. Although I'm not ready for this step as well but just wondering how will you do such since you are getting close.

IMG_2609_zpsf41338e1.jpg

Btw, have you looked over Oliver's (shark 64) Huey build? It will sure to give you plenty of ideas of this big boy...

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=188853

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Mike

Edited by Youngtiger1

Thanks mike,

I'm not looking forward to figuring that step out but I'm going to have to sort it soon. It is just dry fitted for now so can still move around a bit so I'll be able to get a tighter fit when it's glued but will still need some work. Hopefully I'll be able to align the rear wall with the door opening then I'll just have to worry about the floor join.

Yeah I've been following his for the last couple of years, It's unbelievable the amount and quality of detail he's putting into it. It's not a model any more, it's a real miniature helicopter. As long as I can get enough detail into mine to make it look interesting on the shelf I'll be happy.

Cheers

Dean

I've gotten quite a bit done today but almost nothing to show. The fuselage is all closed up and sanded, antenna and vents added and the front windows are in. I've just got a bit of work to do in the door frames then it'll be ready for paint. The only parts I've got left are for the weapons and pylons so all the construction for the helicopter itself is finished.

IMG_2672_zps316522fe.jpg

IMG_2674_zps0149fb1c.jpg

IMG_2675_zpsd6f92c45.jpg

Finally got some primer on. It's shown up a few seams that will need a bit of tidying up and some minor rescribing but hopefully I'll be able to get some colour on it tomorrow.

IMG_2708_zpsc919558a.jpg

IMG_2709_zpsf040279a.jpg

IMG_2710_zps0e1cd06e.jpg

IMG_2712_zps448f8cea.jpg

IMG_2714_zpsae4c4847.jpg

IMG_2715_zps5d2847e8.jpg