About the salt masking technique

Hey Fellas...

I'm about to the salt masking technique for the first time and have a questions about the decals..

Do you do the salt mask AFTER applying the decals? If so, how do you keep the decals from changing color? Meaning..if you've got white German crosses on the wings, and you mask with shades of gray, how do you keep the white crosses from turning gray? Is it just that the salt mask is done with paint that is really thinned???

If you apply the deals after the salt mask, then what methods are best to weather the decals to they are weathered and there isn't such a stark contrast between them and the weathered paint?

Thank you so much fo your insight. I haven't done models in over 16 years so I'm re-learning the process and more.

AV

I don't know about salt masking, am looking forward to what others say and about to research salt masking. But i do salt chipping all the time.

I follow Swanny's methotds:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Salting.html

Not sure if that is what you are wanting to do or not

Edited by Don923

Hey Fellas...

I'm about to the salt masking technique for the first time and have a questions about the decals..

Do you do the salt mask AFTER applying the decals? If so, how do you keep the decals from changing color? Meaning..if you've got white German crosses on the wings, and you mask with shades of gray, how do you keep the white crosses from turning gray? Is it just that the salt mask is done with paint that is really thinned???

If you apply the deals after the salt mask, then what methods are best to weather the decals to they are weathered and there isn't such a stark contrast between them and the weathered paint?

Thank you so much fo your insight. I haven't done models in over 16 years so I'm re-learning the process and more.

AV

After decals. Here's a link to several salt weathered models I've done recently:

Salt Masking/ Weathering