'Smoothing' Tamiya Putty

Hi,

I have come across a technique where after applying putty you take an earbud dipped in some chemical, wipe off the excess leaving only the seam filled with putty. I found several descriptions using different chemicals but I am not getting it right.

Apparently you have to thin the putty first. I tried Tamiya Lacquer thinners which seemed to thin the putty correctly. On another try I used 90% Isopropyl Alcohol which didn't work at all. I have in the past thinned the putty with Tamiya Extra Thin Cement but I am not sure if it will work with this technique.

After brushing the putty/lacquer thinners concoction onto the seam I waited 2 minutes and then took an earbud dipped in lacquer thinners and rubbed it over the seam. All the putty was removed :( Second try I waited 7 min but still most of it was removed. Should I just wait longer?

I also tried unthinned putty and after 5 minutes using an earbud dipped in 90% isopropyl alcohol but it again removed all the putty from the seam. Is it again just timing? I read about this method on Masa Narito's website (www.naritafamily.com) so I am sure it should work...

Please help.

I typically use Mr Color Thinner too. I use that with the Mr Surfacer 500, and it works the same with both Mr Surfacer and Tamiya putty. I don't thin the Tamiya putty at all, I just put it on and layer it with a spatula. A little later, when it's hard to the touch, I use a cotton swab dipped in the thinner to smooth it out and shape it closer to final form no matter what the shape. In a fillet or other places, I'll finish shape it with the swab. Other times I'll use sanding sticks to get a fair surface. It depends on the surface.

I find it takes a little bit for the swab to get a good bite of the putty, you just need to be patient. Keep swabbing it, and you'll get the result you want. Once it's working though, it isn't hard to go too far, especially if you put a lot of pressure on the swab. Be gentle once it's coming off.

I *think* I may have also used alcohol successfully, but my usual method is Mr Color Thinner. I've read about glue, but that stuff is way too aggressive against the plastic and I fear I'd ruin it.

HTH

Tamiya thin cement works as well. I add the cement to a glass plate, add a drop of putty to it, and stir. That will thin it enough to let it flow into the crease (provided it is a small crease).

Edited by wookieefood

Once it's working though, it isn't hard to go too far, especially if you put a lot of pressure on the swab. Be gentle once it's coming off.

I can second that. The method itself is great, but one can easily pull the putty out if to much pressure is applied.

Mr. Color Thinner

I can second that too. aceton-free nail polish remover can work too, but should be tested before if it is too hot. Give it a few minute to react with the plastic to be on the safe side.

Cheers

Thorsten

Nail polish remover and a Q-Tip or ear bud. I use generic drug store brand, acetone free NPR and I have never had a problem with distorting plastic or anything else. One of the keys, as we all know, is to not go overboard with the putty in the first place. Fill the seam, using as little putty as possible and try to make the application as smooth as possible. I then wait until it fully cures and then moisten a Q-Tip with NPR and remove the excess putty. I work fairly slowly so as not to remove too much putty thus making it necessary to repeat the process all over again.

Mike

I thought NPR is only good if it has acetone in it. Am I wrong? I remember diluted acetone will also work for the same purpose. If it is not acetone, what is the active ingredient in Npr that makes it work? I may very well be wrong.

I thought NPR is only good if it has acetone in it. Am I wrong? I remember diluted acetone will also work for the same purpose. If it is not acetone, what is the active ingredient in Npr that makes it work? I may very well be wrong.

Not necessarily. I've been using acetone-free NPR. Works very well. Not sure what the active ingredient that makes it work though. Although acetone-free, the NPR will still dissolve polystyrene, given enough amount and time, as I found out the hard way!