Paintin raised letter tires.

It's been a long time since I did a car that didnt have decals or transfers for the tires. Before I do these (Old tamiya Lotus 78) I just want to make sure which paint works and which doesn't. Does it have to be acrylic or will enamel work? I vaguely remember that enamel doesn't dry but I may be thinking something else?

Last week I did paint some tires and I use a Sharpie oil based, it's litteratly a sharpie with paint in it, you have the choice of oil and water base, the oil work fine and you got the choice of the tip, depending on your needs.

img1211jq.jpg

Just be careful the paint is very liquid as you can see it got inside the letters, but I fixed it with a toothpick and some black paint. I was told that it was because of the extra fine point and that the fine point works better.

I found this at my local craft store.

Hope it will help.

Last week I did paint some tires and I use a Sharpie oil based, it's litteratly a sharpie with paint in it, you have the choice of oil and water base, the oil work fine and you got the choice of the tip, depending on your needs.

img1211jq.jpg

Just be careful the paint is very liquid as you can see it got inside the letters, but I fixed it with a toothpick and some black paint. I was told that it was because of the extra fine point and that the fine point works better.

I found this at my local craft store.

Hope it will help.

Wow that is neat. No problem with it drying on the tire? Did you prep the tire at all?

• 9 months later...

I recently read where someone made a stamp by carving the end of a common pencil eraser to a small rectangle and used that to transfer paint to raised letter tires. I can't remember where, though. It might have been here or Hyperscale.