Hey,

here I am with a second entry into this GB, as the Caribbean 767 does not have a very quick progress but I really want to finish at least one model for this GB!

It's a Boeing 737-700, cut down from Revell's 737-800. I used BraZ resin winglets and did some improvements on the engine's inlets using brass tubing.

The livery is still a surprise, it's not a special colour scheme but just a livery that is not seen very often on a model ;)/>

I'm using the Air Berlin/Sobelair boxing, of which the decals won't be used apart from the doors, windows and general stencilling etc.

guppy2_zpsc0698902.jpg?t=1366403773

I've marked the areas that have to be removed. Also the tail skid is absent on the 737-700.

guppy3_zpsd7c6c71f.jpg?t=1366403775

I wanted to keep the cabin windows transparent which is quite difficult when you have to cut up the fuselage. I had to fill some windows and make some extra using a small file.

guppy5_zps97da0f2e.jpg?t=1366403781

The BraZ winglets attached to the wings. Frustratingly they broke off a few times when sanding a smooth transition from wing to winglet.

guppy6_zps3b91501a.jpg?t=1366403668

And after a 'primer' layer (actually a random Revell grey)

guppy7_zps36b9e77d.jpg?t=1366403724.

That's it for now, when the primer has dried I can correct the last flaws and start with painting the wings and livery!

greets Jelle

Edited by TheFlyingDutchman
  • 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if maybe you were doing the Zambezi airlines. I saw your giraffe outline and thats what I searched for, and came up w/ this.

Yes that is a very cool livery, but they only fly some 737 Classics. But I planned to do a Zambezi CRJ-200 in that colour scheme :) The giraffe referred to the continent of the livery.

• 1 month later...

It is almost finished. I only have to add the name 'Maiombe' on the nose. It has to be placed above the fleet code (the H on my model) in white lettering but I couldn't print that myself so I requested Greg at Draw Decal to print those to me as an addition to a KLM decal sheet. He wanted to do that for me which is very nice! As soon as I received it I will make the final photoshoot.

guppy10_zpsadfa4e1d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

maiombe8_zps8e37f077.jpg

I applied quite a lot of weathering by applying very small bits of oil paint (the cheapest brand) and removing it with a brush in the direction of the airflow which is not straight backwards but slightly diagonal in the direction of the fuselage.

maiombe9_zps86985836.jpg

Also the belly wasn't safe for the dirty and dusty African runways:

maiombe10_zps8250a3cd.jpg

maiombe11_zps76a5c58b.jpg

maiombe12_zps1d677350.jpg

maiombe13_zpsabf06bbe.jpg

Thanks for hosting this group build! I'm rolling straight into the next one I'm taking part in which is the Out Of Africa GB starting today. I will try to model a Zambian little brother for Maiombe: a Zambezi CRJ-200.

greets Jelle

Edited by TheFlyingDutchman

Beautiful! I love the TAAG livery. Like the weathering too... not something I am brave enough to try on my builds yet!

Look forward to seeing your CRJ in the Out of Africa GB. I have also started a build over there.

Dennis