US Navy ground equipement

Hello,

I would like to build this as a diorama but I am lacking documentation on the ground equipment. Would anyone know the name of the grey and green things (and/or have pictures)?

900942_50_F-16A_NSAWC_%283143344933%29.jpg

Creative Commons licensed picture by Jerry Gunner from Lincoln, UK

Many thanks,

Arnaud

Thanks for your help. I found a number of pictures of exactly the same location from different angles on Touchdown.com and contacted them to see if they would them me higher resolution versions of this part of the pictures. I received a very nice and friendly initial reply, wait and see now!

Arnaud

• 2 months later...

Arnaud,

That's a permanent ground starting station. The hose on the left is for starting air (huffer) the black cable on the right is electrical power. They are/were custom built to specs as a cheaper-to-maintain alternative to the mobile starting units. Basically they look like boxes but they have connections and gauges the same as the mobile units.

I did a quick search online but most photos for huffers and MEPPs show them closed up, or too far away to show details.

Tim

As said before, the left is a permanent huffer and the right is permanent electrical power. The green box probably holds chocks/covers while the aircraft are flying....each one of these will be different by base.

HTH

Spongebob

Edited by Spongebob

The grey boxes are called wells units. As everyone else said, they are permanant and proved ground air and external power. The green box is whats called a cruise box, they are just rectangular collapsable metal boxes, pretty standard across the navy, same design no matter what. The cruise boxes are all different colors, when they are new, they are grey, but get painted from time to time. I dont have any pictures though, sorry.

Bill