1/48 F-14 Bombcat Update Sets - Photo review - Avionix vs Wolfpack

Ok it's not really a review because I don't know enough to make much comment wrt Accuracy so I'll confine my comments to detail.

My Aires vs Avionix F-14B cockpit review (here) and the issues it uncovered with both Cockpit sets, but particularly the Avionix set, prompted me to photograph the Avionix and Wolfpack Update sets.

The Avionix set which I purchased as part of the F-14B Deluxe Set with Bombcat conversion.

F-14B-Cockpit-Aries-vs-Avionix-17.jpg

You can buy this separately though for about $30 USD. Here's what's in the box

IMG_6669.jpg

Now the Wolfpack Set (Price $24 USD)

IMG_6670.jpg

And up close

Avionix the Racks for the Pallets are quite nicely detailed, although a 2 part affair

IMG_6759.jpg

IMG_6760.jpg

IMG_6761.jpg

Now Wolfpack, detail on these is better IMHO

IMG_6773.jpg

Edited by a4s4eva

Lantirn - Avionix. Panel line are very faint on this.

IMG_6768.jpg

Wolfpack - You get a decal with the wolfpack pod and the detail is better defined

IMG_6774.jpg

That is were there similarities end. With the Avionix set you get a few more extras

Firstly the pods for under the nose. One for F-14A/B and 1 for F-14D. not sure why these are needed, is there something wrong with the Kit parts?

IMG_6764.jpg

Next is the Square PITD and Lantrin Controller. These parts are quite nice

IMG_6770.jpg

IMG_6771.jpg

Various Antennas - TACAN and GPS and theRIO's RWR box (is this appropriate for a F-14B)

IMG_6767.jpg

And some MK 83 bombs with different fuses. The bomb detail is a bit soft for my taste

IMG_6769.jpg

Conclusion: The detail on the Wolfpack set to my eye looks nicer although the Avionix set has more parts. Of those parts, the only ones I really think are are useful is the square TID and Lantrin controller. (that said I've scratchbuilt these using card and a spare cntrller from the spares box)

IMG_6755-1.jpg

Wolfpack have had issues with shrinkage, I can't comment if that affects this set.

Yea Wolfpack got a batch of bad resin quite a while ago but replaced all affected sets.

However there recent work fits beautifully.

Personally id buy a HB F-14B problem solved no resin required just some elbow grease on the lower intake lip...and it fits.

Still the Hasegawa kit is a great Tomcat if you can manage to build it without killing yourself in the process..lol.

Here's a note on the chin pods and LAU-138's.

The issue with the kit chin pods is they are undersized. The TCS chin pod for the F-14A/B in the Avionix set are perfect.

The Dual Chin pood in the Avionix set is undersized and is basically the Hasegawa kit parts. For the D's chin pod, I think Revell is the only company to have gotten that right in size and shape.

As for the LAU-138's neither Avionix or Wolfpack have gotten these right.

Wolfpack's LAU-138 is generally correct, but the chaffe dispenser on the aft end of the rail is lacking in detail and is too short. The cooling dome for Avionix's rail is just not correctly shaped at all.

NOTE: Also, the "RWR Box" (which is incorrectly labeled) is ONLY for the F-14D. It's correct name is Slave Sensor Panel.

Edited by VFA-103guy
  • 3 years later...

This is just my 2 cents but, instead of spending extra money on 2 resin sets and stealing parts from each one to make a single updated cockpit, why not just wait for Tamiya's F-14B and everything you'll need will be in the box, unless you already have all these items in your stash.

I have 7 Hasegawa Tomcat's in my stash, 2 A's, 2 B's and, 3 D's, all with Black Box cockpits. All these items were purchased back in the mid to late 90's but honestly, after seeing the Tamiya Cat and the ease of building it, and hearing all the horror stories of building the Hasegawa kits, I personally will wait for the B / D models that Tamiya WILL release. You can also throw into this mix AMK's D model Tomcat, again just my opinion.

Steve

1 hour ago, A-10 LOADER said:

... why not just wait for Tamiya's F-14B and everything you'll need will be in the box, unless you already have all these items in your stash.

A good idea but....how long have we been waiting on Tamiya to release their F-16B/D ????  Or even an A-model Viper ?

I created the masters for the Black Box/Avionix set. Keep in mind they were done back in 2002/2003 and I didn't have any of the tools available today to make them. Most of the components were built from scratch using plastic stock (bombs/fuzes, square PTID, LANTIRN pylon and BRU-32/ADU-703). Everything else were modified kit parts.

The BRU-32 was a piece of equipment that I repaired while in the Corps. While not that detailed, it is based off of measurements I took of a real one. The same with the ADU-703. When stationed at NAS Fort Worth, we still had them with VF-201 and they let me measure one. The MK-83 with BSU-85 tail fins were also based off of measurements I took of the real item. Not quite sure what you mean by 'soft' detail on the bombs, but having handled hundreds of the real items, I believe I captured those parts quite well. Being an Ordnanceman had its perks at times.

The BOL launchers were just hitting the fleet at that time and available photos/references were hard to come by. I went with the information I had. The correct LANTIRN pylon shape did get missed though. The square PTID was based off of photos and measurements I took of one from a VF-213 F-14D after they returned from OEF at NAS Oceana.

The TCS pod is actually a Revell kit part, not Hasegawa. I don't remember if I used a Hasegawa or Revell part for the dual chin pod. They were simply provided as one piece items to save the modeler time. I was not aware of any size differences at the time and it was pure coincidence if they 'corrected' anything. 

The Phoenix pallets and fairings are the Hasegawa parts with the obvious mods to fit the ADU-703/BRU-32. I believe the LANTIRN pod was from the Hasegawa Weapons Set D. It may have been swiped from one of the first releases of the AV-8B though, can't remember exactly.

Anyway, it was good for its time. However, like most aftermarket released back then, it has been replaced by a more up to date and better detailed set. I'm just happy  that almost 15 years after creating it, some modelers are still finding some of the parts useful.

Dave

Hello Dave!

It's good to hear from the man whom created the Black Box/ Avionix master. ;)

Yesterday I ordered the Avionix Deluxe set at Hannants. I saw pictures I read and research as much as possible and I took my decision. But one doubt still remains... seems to be to different "packs"from the deluxe set: this one posted here (that looks more with the F-14D pit) and this one: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/162034-hasegawa-148-f-14-bombcat-conversion/ (looks pretty good as F-14B - IMHO)

I don't know the reason but I hope that my set will come as the second one (link above).

Ps: Sorry for my bad English... hope you can understand me.