JUMP'N JASPER JONES!! ITS ANOTHER MUDHEN

hi again everyone, this is my second go-round with posting an in progress build so please be gentle with your suggestions. :)/>/> My new build is primarily the revell f-15e, and i've used some spares from academy, tamiya, & hasegawa f-15 sets to make this guy a more modern machine. I'll be replacing the cockpit and the burner can's with aires resin sets, and also a little add scratch building here and there. Also if you see something i need to fix let me know and hopefully i'll fix it If i'm not too far in, that is. o- by the way this particular jet will be 96-0201 from the 492nd during march2011 operation odyssey dawn.

so here's what we're working with:

IMG_3434.jpg

have to watch Game of Thrones, much more to post tomorrow. good night!

okay i'm back, craziness on Game of Thrones, if you haven't seen it i won't say anything :I

Anyway, let's start with the Aires cockpit. Unlike other aires pits. At first glance of the picture on the front of the box, this thing looks like a dud. Once the box is open, however, and you look at all the parts, its actually quite nice. Lots of detail, everything to be expected from a nice resin kit. Here's my work so far. -pit painting is not my strong point, but i feel good with how this is going.

IMG_2542-1.jpg

IMG_2550-1.jpg

IMG_2552-1.jpg

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2562-1.jpg

IMG_2563-1.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg

for real good night this time! :)/>/>

Edited by .linus

Ok, here we go. So i've spent some time working on the instrument panel, and specifically the hud. I appologise, i didn't take any photos of the part before i started, but if your interested in what everything looks like pre-paint, here's a good link to view it: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev1/201-300/Rev300-Aires4139-Lutz/00.shtm

*Disclaimer* In regards to the HUD-I would just like to say I am nowhere near an expert to any of the systems in this plane. Everything that you are about to see is based off the little bit of research I've done ,and observations that i've made from the limited photographs that are available.

One of the things that i really wanted to recreate in this build is an accurate representation of the hud system. Specificaly the Collimating optics assembly: for more info on the different types of HUD setup check out this site: www.mikesflightdeck.com/hud/head_up_displays.html

From the photos i've found it looks like the wide angle holographic hud uses a fold glass and a red defuser window to redirect the image from the cathode ray tub onto the hud. here's what i did to recreate it:

1. drilled out a hollow space in the ip panel where the window should be- sorry now pics

2. used a piece of tin can and tamiya clear yellow to create the fold glass.

A1278C5C-66DB-445B-A6F4-3BBC1245B716-393-00000044B535FBB9.jpg

3 cut and installed a mirror piece where the projector from the crt would be, and then another angled piece, where the fold glass would be.

IMG_3421.jpg

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3423.jpg

IMG_3428.jpg

Edited by .linus

4. once everything is installed, I used a piece of clear acitate (spl?) and tamiya clear red to create the red defuser window that sits above the optics assembly.

ECADEE99-0758-40E2-8AE7-FA4145700DB5-393-00000044BF4CF186.jpg

5. For the actual HUD glass, I used the clear part provided from the aires set, iridescent film from jo ann fabrics, and some future to secure the two together-sorry no photos of the actual process

here's what the finish product looked like:

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3442.jpg

IMG_3440.jpg

IMG_3444.jpg

IMG_3443.jpg

IMG_3441.jpg

Look great! What brand is the film? I've looked for that stuff at Jo Ann's, Hobby Lobby, etc. and have never been able to find it.

Hey I found it in the very back near some of the bulk gift rapping . It came in a big tube for like $5. There's other colors back there too, like yellow , red , & blue. All transparent

14F3D241-FB45-4A32-A596-0022F0DEB73C-497-0000006E8F6D2EF2.jpg

Edited by .linus

Great work on the office and especially the HUD details linus :thumbsup:/> the photos are really nice & sharp too!!! Looks like this will be an excellent build reference, since I have this kit and Aires AM as well.... I'll be watching with great interest :popcorn:/>

/Jesse

Nice work on the HUD. I have some of that film as well after seeing it used like that. Michael's has it as well near all the gift wrap stuff.

Thanks! i don't know where i first saw it used that way, but ever since i was sold!

Thanks. Now that you posted a pic of it I know exactly what and where it is.

no problem :thumbsup: glad i could make it easier for you. i nearly racked my brain when i was looking for it the first time. good news is you get so much for your money , it's literally a lifetime supply!

Great work on the office and especially the HUD details linus :thumbsup:/>/> the photos are really nice & sharp too!!! Looks like this will be an excellent build reference, since I have this kit and Aires AM as well.... I'll be watching with great interest :popcorn:/>/>

/Jesse

Hey thanks so much jesse! That means a lot coming from you. I was super impressed by your f-18f, so i hope i hope i live up to the expectations.

Good job on the cockpit so far and, that HUD looks really good. I think you nailed it right on. Keeping a close eye on this build, looking forward to more progress.

Steve

Thanks Steve! I attempted it several times on plastic styrene before I was brave enough to try it on the original part.

Nice work. Very nice details. Can't wait to see more.

Is this Revell quality good? Or is it bad like Revell's F-14 Black bunny....

Thanks! Everything is actually really nice. I read up on it before I bought the kit, and everything I read was very positive. Apparently it's the most accurate strike eagle in this scale. And it's dirt cheap at michaels.( plus if you buy something cheap first like a candy bar, you'll get a 40-50% off next purchase coupon, and there you go even cheaper!) all in all I really like it so far, less parts than the academy, and fits together better.- only negative is : lack of weapons, and a little excess flash on the parts.

just started the intakes and they are drying at the moment, so in the mean time here are a few things i've worked on a long side the cockpit work.

Those of you who have built this kit before knows that the elevators are permanently molded into place on the main fuselage. I wanted to have more control over their positioning, so i took a knife and cut them off. I drilled a hole and put styrene rods in where the pivot point would be.

IMG_3509.jpg

I then removed the flaperons in order to show them in the dropped position. you may also notice all the riveting. i took a little liberty here as most of the photos i see show them either filled or showing in random places. i've seen a few pics were the rivets on the wings are clearly visible. i like the way this looked so i figured why not have some fun and do it.

IMG_3512.jpg

for the vertical stabilizers, I removed the rudders, again to have more control over their positioning. I also add the stiffener plates towards the top. I noticed that 96-0201 had the stiffeners on the rudder also during march 2011 so i added those as well. p.s to show credit where credit is due heres where i got the idea to do this: http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=161603&st=0#

- really awesome build!

IMG_3507.jpg

Also i wanted to update jfs exhaust as the one molded onto the kit isn't correct. i drilled out a hole, to 2 different size brass tubing.(sorry i forgot the sizes) i cut them at an angle, and glued it in place.

IMG_3508.jpg

i took the liberty of updating the canopy as well. I replaced the molded handles, used guitar strings for the ac hoses and copper wire for the cabling. I also add a jhmcs sensor.

IMG_3518.jpg

IMG_3516.jpg

IMG_3514.jpg

Edited by .linus