In an alternate world and history, tank warfare has evolved to become senshadou, a Japanese martial art using tanks as weapons. It is predominately practiced by females as a high school elective, similiar to naginatajutsu and kyuudou (Japanese archery). Using World War II-era tanks equipped with explosive but non-lethal ammunition, teams from opposing schools battle it out in yearly competitions to bring glory and honour to their schools.

Girls und Panzer is a Japanese animated series released in 2012. Not expected to do well initially because of its unusual setting and background, it surprised everyone to become a sleeper hit in Japan and is well-liked by military and non-military fans alike.

More significantly, Japanese sales of kits of the tanks (and associated accessories like tracks and PE parts) featured in the show went through the roof after it was aired, from the old Tamiya Panzer IV to the new Academy King Tiger. Platz later worked with Dragon to introduce "official" kits like what Hasegawa did with the Idolmaster jets. These are simplified versions of the original kits (less parts involved, one-piece DS tracks instead of Magic Tracks) and unlike the Idolmasters, they're not as garish so you won't have people questioning your man card when they see them. Not as much, at least. The series does sound pretty silly but it's fun to watch because of that silliness. And since this is a What If GB where the wacky and implausible reign supreme, why not?

This will be the build log for the Tiger I featured in the show, hope to make it at least semi-presentable. Some shots of the vehicle subject:

tigeri_zpsc565d27a.jpg

screenshot2_zps43254c67.jpg

Versus Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.H

tigeri2_zps13ffd882.jpg

Box art and the bagged parts.

P10005761024x576_zpsc3b9fab8.jpg

P10005791024x576_zpsf74f80f5.jpg

The parts diagram. As mentioned, many parts that are used on the standard kit aren't used here. This makes it an easier and faster build for modellers who haven't built a tank before.

tiger11024x952_zps6dbaf773.jpg

Started off the build by soaking the parts in soapy water and leaving them to dry overnight.

Construction began with the lower hull. The raised lines on the area on the chassis indicated by the arrows need to be sanded down, otherwise the rear plate won't be able to sit flush with the hull.

P1000585a1024x576_zps1f4a432a.jpg

Next are the exhaust stacks. On the left is part P11, which Dragon tells you to use. However, if you use that, part CI1 (in the foreground) won't fit. There are another pair of exhaust stacks, B6, shown on the right. They're marked as unnecessary but they are in fact the correct parts to use.

P10005861024x576_zps875c911d.jpg

The rest of the rear plate is slowly taking shape.

P10005911024x576_zps887ea064.jpg

I also started filling in the necessary holes on the upper hull to build this particular version.

P10005921024x576_zps77d061d9.jpg

Edited by White Wolf

The rear plate is almost finished, I just need to add the mud flaps after filling in the ejection pin marks on them. Dragon somehow missed telling you about drilling out the holes for the tool box, so I had to cut off the attachment points and glue it on directly.

P10005991024x576_zpsc59aa4b2.jpg

While waiting for the putty on the mud flaps to dry, I did a test fit of the upper hull to the chassis and found that the rear deck and the engine grilles didn't sit flush with the rear plate, jutting out by a few millimeters compared to the photos I looked at. After countless hours of tests and dry fits, I cut off the narrow lips of plastic where the engine grilles are supposed to rest on since they messed with the fit of the grilles. I also shaved off the small tabs of plastic on the bottom. For the grilles, I cut off the outermost parts of the grating so they could get past the grooves in the lower deck.

P1000596a1024x576_zpsab7537e1.jpg

P10006011024x576_zps54dd9f79.jpg

P1000603a1024x576_zpsee3633df.jpg

This is as low as I can get the engine deck and grilles to be after modification (the upper hull isn't cemented on yet). Not perfect, but still much better than before.

P10006041024x576_zps76ea4e14.jpg

Looking good, WW!

I started watching that show online. It's a pretty fun (if not a bit odd) show.

I've always wanted to try to build a WWII German tank. You just keep picking interesting kits that are good inspirations. Thanks!

Looking good, WW!

I started watching that show online. It's a pretty fun (if not a bit odd) show.

I've always wanted to try to build a WWII German tank. You just keep picking interesting kits that are good inspirations. Thanks!

Thanks, Milo, glad you like it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, it's been a while since I last updated. Since then, I've finished assembling the hull. I also ordered a set of aftermarket smoke launchers, and while waiting for them to arrive I decided to proceed with painting.

The completed hull. Assembly was okay, but it's easier to fit the front armor plate and air cleaners after gluing the upper hull and not before as Dragon suggests.

P10006061024x576_zps0d1e3464.jpg

After applying Mr. Surfacer I sprayed everything with Tamiya TS-3 Dark Yellow which I felt was the closest match to my eye. I made the DS tracks sag by applying glue to the top of the road wheels before putting paintbrushes in between the hull and the tracks.

P10006071024x576_zps2c361160.jpg

After painting, decalling, and some light weathering. Once the PE comes in, I'll get started on the turret.

P10006081024x576_zps696cfe63.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The aftermarket smoke launchers arrived in the mail a few days ago and I got to work on the turret. I got ahead of myself and forgot to take photos of the process, but assembly for the most part was smooth. Strangely, the tab for the stowage bin is much too wide for the slot at the back of the turret, like they came from two different kits. I shaved and sanded off the stowage bin tab, as well as the little bumps and ridges on the back of the turret that messed with the fit of the bin.

Here's how it looks like at the moment. A few more finishing touches and she's done.

P10006121024x576_zpsb7b4c1e2.jpg

Excellent job. I like the subtle colors, I am not a big fan of the Idol Master stuff. I have always liked the looks of the Tiger tanks. To bad that it would be cost prohibitive but tank paintball would be sooooo fun.