According to most sources, only late production DVII's (production numbers > 4000) had a firewall installed. WNW's has you using a firewall on every one of their kits, regardless of whether the aircraft is early or late production.

Just curious if anyone has info on the layout of the engine compartment? Without the steel firewall, was there a fabric cover (similar to the aft cockpit wall) to keep engine oil / crap from blowing back into the cockpit or was it completely open with nothing between the rear of the engine and the fuel tank?

I'm modeling an early vintage DVII (production number in the 800 range) so I'm going to delete the firewall from my build. Personally, I think I like the look of this change. You get to see the fuel tank (which is otherwise invisible), just adds a bit more color to the engine compartment.

Regards,

John

The late Dan-San Abbott's research suggested that firewalls were only installed in the Fokker D.VII from the following serial numbers;

Fokker built - D.4300/18

OAW built - D.6300/18

Albatros built - D.5190/18

Prior to the above serial numbers the Fokker D.VII did not have a firewall, which was common in most German aircraft with in-line engines.

Vince

The late Dan-San Abbott's research suggested that firewalls were only installed in the Fokker D.VII from the following serial numbers;

Fokker built - D.4300/18

OAW built - D.6300/18

Albatros built - D.5190/18

Prior to the above serial numbers the Fokker D.VII did not have a firewall, which was common in most German aircraft with in-line engines.

Vince

Could not find any clear photos of early VII's that show what the engine compartment looked like. I left a bit of the kit's firewall intact on my model. Just the small fabric section at the very top. I removed the metal firewall itself. I figured they may have had that bit of fabric on all versions, just to keep oil/debris from flowing back towards the mg ammo bins and the instrument panel. Seems to make sense.... Plus I like the little bit of lozenge fabric, makes for a bit of color.