Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6 Revell 1:32

I know I have references to figure this out, but I worked a night shift last night and I'm foggy - how hard would it be to do a G-2 from the Revell G-6? I know the kit is set up for them to be able to do any G-1 thru K-4, but who knows when that might happen??

A few of the things that need to be addressed, are eliminating the gun breech bumps on the cowling, going to 7.9 mm machine guns rather than the 12 mm guns, deleting the wing bumps over the wheel wells, different narrower wheel and tire, reducing the depth of the oil cooler, and different prop blades. The G-2 is closer to an F-4, than it is to a G-6. Hal Sr

I hear you! I'm an old school modeler as well and also recall the good (bad?) old days. I did my share of scratch building and I've got some old models that I still believe are superior to the latest stuff out there.

However, in the case of the Revell -109, I don't think many folks have the ability to accurately scratchbuild replacement mg ammo bulges. At least I don't.I was on the fence with regard to purchasing this kit, however my desire for a late-war G-14 and the new A2Zee correction parts has pushed me over the edge. Sorry for all the comments I made over the years about boring WW2 Nazi subjects, I'm in!

Exactly, the Beule are a complicated shape, easy to say "just scratch-build it" but much more difficult to execute with acceptable results. A more realistic approach (assuming you have the spares) is to use the Beule from the Hasegawa kit, which I has several of in my spares box.

004_zpsdf626e9d.jpg

Hopefully someone will offer these as a separate item, the Allee Cat set looks nice but much of it is just convenience items, patches removed from control surfaces, molded on seatbelts removed, etc. These are all items that can be easily done to the kit parts, whether you want to spend the money for these time savers is up to you. I'd prefer a less comprehensive set at a lower price that just addresses the errors in the kit.

I'm almost finished with kit, IMO here's what it would really benefit from:

1. Replacement Beule

2. New landing gear. The three piece landing gear assembly is over-engineered and rickety even when assembled with copious amounts of glue. I think Eduard might be doing a replacement set in metal.

3. A new spinner (included in Allee Cat set). Revell did a good job with the shape but it's poorly engineered and missing detail at the spinner base.

4. Decals: a word of warning, the decals are thick and resistant to solvent. Revell is fielding complaints on their quality and working to resolve them. The slection of A/M decals for the G-6 is staggering though so really not an issue.

Obviously the kit will benefit from A/M exhausts and guns but this is true of Hasegawa as well. The Revell kit is more difficult to build than Hasegawa, this is primarily due to the multi-variant engineering. The parts fit well but you'll be filling and sanding in areas that you won't have to with the Hasegawa.

The Revell kit is an upgrade over the Hasegawa kit in regards to a couple length and contour areas, although IMO these are areas that 99% of people wouldn't notice or get stressed about anyway. A couple of areas are major upgrades (the landing gear bay for one). But I think for most people the decision over what kit to go with will boil down to price. I live in Japan and the Hasegawa kits are very reasonably priced here (mid $30 range) so price really isn't an issue for me. I'm sure I'll buy a few more Revell kits (especially if they do an Erla G-10) but Hasegawa is still my preferred kit due to the engineering and ease of assembly.

Whichever kit you choose will be a solid starting point that will take a little A/M to get up to snuff.

Edited by The Mikester

I know I have references to figure this out, but I worked a night shift last night and I'm foggy - how hard would it be to do a G-2 from the Revell G-6? I know the kit is set up for them to be able to do any G-1 thru K-4, but who knows when that might happen??

I'd wait for them to release a G-2 (if they do).

1. You'd need a new upper cowl piece.

2. The wheel bumps in the wings are realistically portrayed on the underside (concave) as well so you'd have a hole in the wing where your removed the bump.

3. Early spoked wheels and 7.92 MG not included in kit.

The other mods required are fairly minor. I think we'll see a G-10 before we see any earlier variants since they've already included some of the necessary parts in the G-6.

I'd wait for them to release a G-2 (if they do).

1. You'd need a new upper cowl piece.

2. The wheel bumps in the wings are realistically portrayed on the underside (concave) as well so you'd have a hole in the wing where your removed the bump.

3. Early spoked wheels and 7.92 MG not included in kit.

The other mods required are fairly minor. I think we'll see a G-10 before we see any earlier variants since they've already included some of the necessary parts in the G-6.

Often forgotten:

Early Gs had different main gear struts!

There were different spoked wheels: Early production G-2/4s had 650x150 tires, late production planes had 160x660 wheels - these went with the wing bulges.

Very early production G-6s had the early gear strut with spoked wheels (160x660 tires). If you google you will find a nice color photo of a JG 3 plane in this configuration.

Hi guys

Just to mention that I have been in contact with Alistair McLean of A2Zee Models regarding the possibility of including corrected machine gun cowls as the ones included in the Revell kit have the gun troughs spaced too closely together. Perhaps others will wish to ask that these be included as well? As the aphorism goes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. His e-mail is sales (at) a2zeemodels.co.uk. Please be understanding that this might or might not be possible.

Horrido!

Leo

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

Here is the web page to order the correction set for the Revell 1/32 scale Bf 109 G-6. It is quite complete and the price does not appear to be excessive in my opinion considering what one gets (about $24 at current exchange rates). Considering that the base kit is about the same price one can get a very accurate and detailed model at a lower price than either the Hasegawa or Trumpeter base kits.

http://www.a2zeemodels.co.uk/messerschmitt-bf-109-upgrade-set-for-revell-kit-6258-p.asp

Horrido!

Leo

I just received the A2Zee G-6 correction set today (approx 2 weeks after placing the order, which I find to be reasonable). I am quite happy with this set, it seems to be very comprehensive and should address many of the issues noted with the Revell kit. The quality of the resin is outstanding, there are only a few pin-holes and on my set, I had one ruined exhaust but since they give you extras, this is a non-issue. The hollow exhaust stacks are particularly well done. For approx $24, you get a great deal for your money. I highly recommend this to anyone building the Revell G-6 (or for that matter, the upcoming G-10 since most of the parts are still applicable).

John

Often forgotten:

Early Gs had different main gear struts!

How different were the main gear struts?

Or put another way: is there enough difference that anyone other than a Messerschmitt engineer would be able to tell the difference in 1/32 scale??

Hello Jennings

For what I understand the Bf 109 G-2 used Federbein 8-2787-09 and -10 with 650 x 150 mm main wheels as well as Federbein 8-2787-11 and -12 with 660 x 160 mm main wheels. The Bf 109 G-6 was fitted with Federbein 8-2787-11 and -12 and later Federbein 8-2787-13 and -14. The different landing gear struts were necessary to cope with the increasing operational weight of the aircraft. Unfortunately I can not remark on any visual differences between the various landing gear legs.

Horrido!

Leo

Hello Jennings

For what I understand the Bf 109 G-2 used Federbein 8-2787-09 and -10 with 650 x 150 mm main wheels as well as Federbein 8-2787-11 and -12 with 660 x 160 mm main wheels. The Bf 109 G-6 was fitted with Federbein 8-2787-11 and -12 and later Federbein 8-2787-13 and -14. The different landing gear struts were necessary to cope with the increasing operational weight of the aircraft. Unfortunately I can not remark on any visual differences between the various landing gear legs.

Horrido!

Leo

would a set of F4 landing gear be about right for the G2?

gary

Hello Gary

The Bf 109 F-4 used Federbein 8-2787-07 and -08 with 650 x 150 mm main wheels. Again, I must admit that I have no idea of any external differences between any of these but perhaps by studying photographs some noticeable aspects will appear for those interested.

Horrido!

Leo

Hello Gary

The Bf 109 F-4 used Federbein 8-2787-07 and -08 with 650 x 150 mm main wheels. Again, I must admit that I have no idea of any external differences between any of these but perhaps by studying photographs some noticeable aspects will appear for those interested.

Horrido!

Leo

I suppose I could compare the Zvezda F4 kit with the others. And speaking of the late F and early G's, I wish somebody would do a resin camera flaring for the bottom of the fuselage. This would give us a couple more options on the 1/32 kits. There also have been several folks wanting a new K4, and lets hope they get the engraving right on the fuselage!

gary

There also have been several folks wanting a new K4, and lets hope they get the engraving right on the fuselage!

gary

As noted by others, it's pretty certain that Revell is going to squeeze the maximum value from their tooling. I think it's a certainty that a K-4 will be out sooner or later. Given their current track record, I'm optimistic that they will capture the fine points of this version.

Now if we can only get some more late war G-6 / G-14 decals to be released!

The Revell kit was designed to do everything from the G-2 through the K-4 (from the guy who designed it).

Are you sure that a K-4 is an option? That would require tooling a new left fuselage, because the placement of the radio(and thus the access hatch) was moved forward.

Are you sure that a K-4 is an option? That would require tooling a new left fuselage, because the placement of the radio(and thus the access hatch) was moved forward.

I was wondering the same thing. Fujimi took the easy way out on their 1/48th kit (wasn't a bad kit either) and scribed every panel for every late war version and then had the builder fill in the non-applicable ones. I'm guessing that Revell would be offering a new left fuselage section. Not the cheapest option but certainly preferred from a builder's standpoint.

Given that the K-4 was the ultimate 109, I can't believe that they would opt not to release one. I think it would be pretty popular.