I'm sure this has been ask before but a search of the web didn't resolve my questions...

Is there any real difference between Testor's Enamel thinner (1 pint red can) vs regular paint thinner/mineral spirits(more refined IIRC) from the hardware department.....

Will appreciate your input...........

Without being privy to what Testors puts in their can, the difference is one of purity:

"Paint thinner" from the hardware store—relatively impure, may play badly with some model paints.

Mineral spirits: what paint thinner is mostly. Something sold under this name is relatively pure.

Odorless mineral spirits: a purer form. This is the only thing I use to thin enamels, on the rare occasions I use them.

Any proprietary thinner, such as Testors: probably quite pure (but this is Testors, remember) and may contain additives to make it even more compatible with the producer's paints.

For cleaning, use whatever works and is cheap. For thinning, odorless mineral spirits or proprietary thinner.

Hey there "Old Thud Man." Are you related to "Old Blind Dog?" Sorry, I just had to ask! Back to the ? at hand. I have a good friend that's as close to a "professional modeler" as anyone I know. He's a retired USAF fighter pilot. (F-100D/F Super Saber) He also used to own his how LHS. On one occasion, I asked him about the difference between Testor's Airbrush Thinner (the stuff that used to come in a black 1/2 pint can - product #1799) and store bought thinner. He told me that the difference was that Testors put in an additive in their thinner that, when used to thin their MM enamel paint, gave the thinned paint a little more bite than regular thinner, mineral spirits, etc. Of course, it was not enough to harm the model if used correctly. (i.e., what Triarius said) Like Triarius, I also use the "cheap stuff" to clean my airbrush, paint brushes, etc.

Added: I'm sorry that I forgot to add this: You were asking about Testor's "Universal Enamel Thinner," the stuff in the 1/2 pint red can. The mixing ratios are exactly the same (word for word) as those on the older black can. If you go to Testor's website, they refer to the stuff in the red can to be a replacement for the stuff in the black can.

Edited by balls47

Thanks (to all) for the input.............I remember the days of Floquil Dio-Sol(sp?)..Much better than any of today's IMHO.........................

I may get some odorless Mineral Spirits at Wallymart tomorrow......I really hate to pay $8.99/pt(last tin I bought) for Testors.......

According to Testors MSDS sheet its 50% mineral spirits and 30% naphtha the other 20% n-propoxy propanol plus 1% of another ingredient which you probably only can get in a 55 gallon drum. For me I use 50% mineral spirits, 30% naphtha and 20% lacquer thinner with both Testors and Humbrol enamels. If you have any misgivings about lacquer Thinner try Turpentine or vodka.

According to Testors MSDS sheet its 50% mineral spirits and 30% naphtha the other 20% n-propoxy propanol plus 1% of another ingredient which you probably only can get in a 55 gallon drum. For me I use 50% mineral spirits, 30% naphtha and 20% lacquer thinner with both Testors and Humbrol enamels. If you have any misgivings about lacquer Thinner try Turpentine or vodka.

Vodka tastes much better than turpentine, and is less toxic.

As I've said before, "lacquer thinner" is usually a blend, and can contain anything. Some of that anything may not play well with your paint. Basically, I feel that if you build one hundred kits, and on the last one you use lacquer thinner as a paint solvent, and the kit is ruined, that's about ten too many.

Old Thud Man,

About 18 months ago I asked a similar question. Mr. Triarius advised me to try odorless mineral spirits for thinning of my Model Master and White Ensign enamel paints. Now, I've been an ARC member for many, many years and have received some great tips and hints here but none that compare to that particular piece of advice. I had previously been using generic, hardware store 'paint thinner' and ever since moving over to odorless mineral spirits (I use the Kleen Strip brand that can be found just aobut anywhere) it has made a huge difference in my modeling and my enjoyment of airbrushing! Best modeling advice ever!

I still use the cheap charcoal lighter fluid found in the grocery, all it is is mineral spirits usually without a offensive smell to it.

Been modeling for years never had a problem. Compair the price with mineral spirits at Wally Worlder or one of the discount hardware stores. Sometimes you find a cheaper product there

I have used Lacquer Thinner and mineral spirits very successfully with MM, Humbrol and even some old Pactra paints I still have. However my favorite thinner for modeling enamels is DuPont 3812S Enamel Reducer. Works well, fairly cheap (last gallon was somewhere around 20 bucks) and get it as the local auto supply store.

Edited by Hawk10

I regularily use hardware store bought paint thinner to use on Model Master enamels; seems to fine.

The real point to all my commentary on this is that "Your mileage may vary." Even if you stick to a single brand, it may change between one can and the next. Best to test each new can on scrap than to ruin a model you've spent a lot of time on.