Decals for RCAF P-51D?

There is absolutely no comparison from the quality of Leading Edge's decals to those of CanMilAir. If you bring price into the equation as well, Leading Edge wins by a very long mile. I would not give the CanMilAir products the time of day and would have to be beyond desperate to even begin to consider them.

Grab the LEM decals, you'll be very happy - guaranteed.

I would not give the CanMilAir products the time of day and would have to be beyond desperate to even begin to consider them.

I will disagree with you on the above statement, but I also respect that you are entitled to your opinion. I will also agree that LEM decals are nice.

There are some problems with ALPS printed decals only because of the limitations of the printer. I disagree that the Quality is bad as I have used CanMilAir Several times in the past. What people have to remember is that Greys are very difficult to print and to prevent the Pixelation You have to print over your graphic several times. This process is very time consuming and does wear the printer down. But the nice part of the ALPS printer is you can customize your markings to whatever you heart desires. Sometimes you really can't get that with a generic Decal sheet of a certain subject.

So the choice is Subjective to the level of accuracy one wants in markings. Price wise yes Silk Screen printed decals are much cheaper and not as labour intensive to produce, but you have to order in bulk which creates inventory where with an ALPS you can store the Graphic on a computer and the only expense is the time taken to create the file. You only print when you have an order, really no cash tied up in stock.

As to CanMilAir I know his original intent was just the 1/144 scale market which is the ideal in the medium, 1/72nd and larger are at the request of the modelers. And sometimes if you want that one marking he can make it for you.

Just my 5 cents (since the penny has gone by way of the DoDo.)

Emil

THanks fellas. I've got 3 boxings of the F-51D so good there, I got em at hobby lobby when they had them, 40% off each. Got em for the versatility of the kit.

The LEM decals are nice but are a bit pricey, I'm gonna lok into the camilair decals first.

EDIT: Okay, maybe not, the link for canmilair in 48th scale shows $28! I'm good on that!

Edited by B-17 guy

I would hardly call $17.00 for 4 decal sheets of extremely accurate hand silkscreened decals (at least 6 different schemes)plus a couple of resin antennas pricey when compared to the rather poor Canmilair decals at their price. I've supported Canmilair in the past and he does do stuff others do not but in this case there is no comparisson.

Cheers

Bruce

I would hardly call $17.00 for 4 decal sheets of extremely accurate hand silkscreened decals (at least 6 different schemes)plus a couple of resin antennas pricey when compared to the rather poor Canmilair decals at their price. I've supported Canmilair in the past and he does do stuff others do not but in this case there is no comparisson.

Cheers

Bruce

+1, I've got the Western sheet in 1/72 and you get enough decals to do 4 aircraft (from 6-8 options) across 3 sheets of decals plus a very accurate application guide with sufficient info to get the details correct, even little things like oddball paint on the prop (1 aircraft potentially had an NMF prop with partial black sections on the rear, interesting so I did that one). These are not Superscale-type sheets, but extensive sheets comparable to Afterburner or Fightertown sheets and are an extremely good deal, as are all of LEM's sheets.

I'm a bit of a penny pincher, but I consider the LEM sheets to be superb values, which is why I have an extensive collection of them.

Ok, I guess I wasnt clear enough, the LEM decal set is out of my price range at the moment, I'm between jobs at the moment so thats how it goes. The set looks great, and with the resin, even better.

+1, I've got the Western sheet in 1/72 and you get enough decals to do 4 aircraft (from 6-8 options) across 3 sheets of decals plus a very accurate application guide with sufficient info to get the details correct, even little things like oddball paint on the prop (1 aircraft potentially had an NMF prop with partial black sections on the rear, interesting so I did that one). These are not Superscale-type sheets, but extensive sheets comparable to Afterburner or Fightertown sheets and are an extremely good deal, as are all of LEM's sheets.

I'm a bit of a penny pincher, but I consider the LEM sheets to be superb values, which is why I have an extensive collection of them.

:thumbsup:/>/>

Same here !

Canmilair fills a special need I believe, his economics are totslly different than Leading Edge... Canuck Models is up to a good start, and a litlle competition never hurts. For such a relatively small Airforce, Canada is very well served by homegrown decal manufacturers...

Edited by yvesff

Ok, I guess I wasnt clear enough, the LEM decal set is out of my price range at the moment, I'm between jobs at the moment so thats how it goes. The set looks great, and with the resin, even better.

If you poke around eBay, you might find a set by Arrow Graphics. I can appreciate when money is tight, but personally, I'd still opt for the Leading Edge decals. I do not think you will find a better bargain than that.

I have a few of the Arrow Graphics sheets and I'd happily offer them up to you, but they are in 1/72, not much use for you with your 1/48 Mustangs. Sorry.

Edited by Big Kohona